No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an internet service provider worker come to my house and try to buy this when he seen it. Obviously it's not for sale however he told me he has a Trans-Am that has a 700r4 and he had it rebuilt locally. It ran him $1200 with the shop only doing the rebuild and the owner doing the removal and reinstall.

So that being the case I called the shop and they asked if I wanted to buy my own parts and they'll install everything. Being as it's going in a Corvette they guessed I wanted some upgrades. They told me that $1200 is a pretty standard rebuild cost for a 700r4 however only about $700 of that is labor the rest is parts and torque converter.

So needless to say I can get a whole lot bigger bang for the buck. I've found a bunch of goodies at transmissioncenter.net. I'm still figuring things out however I'm pretty stoked. I'll be able to pretty much bullet proof the 700r4 for $2000 and have a local warranty.

Comment

$500 for rebuild kit, converter, fluids might not be a bad price depending on what they are putting in there; i was over at Monster transmission the other say looking at prices and the rebuild kits set for performance were over the $500 quote and then if you take into consideraron the TC tend to run well over $200. I know i probably sound like i am trying to get you to spend your hard earned money but i am not, just dont want you to be like my cousin and go thru like 3 trans in a year. I would ask what is the power rating of whatever kit they are gonna install and then try to beat it online, do know that most people do not honor or offer warranty on parts that they are not supplying, i once heard a guy ask a shop what kind of warranty would they offer on labor if parts were supplied and the answer was "from the register to the door".
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        $500 for rebuild kit, converter, fluids might not be a bad price depending on what they are putting in there; i was over at Monster transmission the other say looking at prices and the rebuild kits set for performance were over the $500 quote and then if you take into consideraron the TC tend to run well over $200. I know i probably sound like i am trying to get you to spend your hard earned money but i am not, just dont want you to be like my cousin and go thru like 3 trans in a year. I would ask what is the power rating of whatever kit they are gonna install and then try to beat it online, do know that most people do not honor or offer warranty on parts that they are not supplying, i once heard a guy ask a shop what kind of warranty would they offer on labor if parts were supplied and the answer was "from the register to the door".
        I appreciate your input! Flat out. I mean that. I'm not a Chevy guy and don't know these machines like you do it sounds like.

I was checking on the kits from Monster too. I'm actually looking a getting a really good converter. I'd like a Hughes but I think I'll have to get a custom made converter from them. I don't want to cheap out on the converter.

All being said I'd rather toast an engine than a transmission any day. I want to be done with transmission issues. So I'm not looking to take any short cuts.

I will say that I plan to abuse whatever transmission goes in. It won't have an easy life. Whatever it takes to get a transmission to tolerate it.

I dont mind spending $1000 on parts. Minus the converter. As long as it's going to hold up.

Comment

Picked up a bunch of detailing supplies black friday shopping. I think everything cost around $75. This car has relatively new paint. Can't wait to clean it up.

Comment

I changed the future plans. No LSx as the owner and I don't work together anymore as he transferred out of state.

Instead next summer my plans are the following.

Edelbrock Performer Carbureted Intake Manifold
            MSD Atomic EFI Throttle Body System
            MSD Distributor
            MSD 6AL 2 Ignition Box
            Dana 44 Rear Diff & Batwing (3.45s)
            Performance Rebuild 700R4
            1650 Stall Converter
            B&M Ratchet Shifter
            Dewitts Aluminum Radiator

Converting to a carb type intakeanifold then instead of throwing on a carb going efi. Best of both worlds. It'll be able to pull to 6,000rpms +/- and still have the luxuries of fuel injection.

Comment

I found a company locally to rebuild the 700R4! Precision transmission in Iowa City. They quoted me a price I can't refuse and a 1 year 36,000 mile warranty. Oh and it's $1095. Installed!

Start to finish $1095 with me bringing them the car and picking it up with a rebuilt transmission. That includes a shift kit. I'm going to add several hundred dollars worth of upgrades but the base price is great!

Comment

My wife and I started detailing this today. We both got off work at noon and it was her idea to drag me out in the garage. So instead of play RDR2... we cleaned this up. This thing is seriously filthy. Seriously.

I wont even show how filthy it is until I get pictures of it cleaned up.

We clay bar'd it. Then we applied Maguires Ultimate liquid wax. Afterwards we polished the tail lights and all plastic lenses with another Mequires product designed for plastic lenses. The improvement is remarkable.

We polished the exhaust tips. An iconic part of every Corvette ever. Then we polished the wheels which is where we stopped. The rear is complete however the front still need done.

Before and after of the tips. They were pretty rusted. But nothing some Eagle 1 never dull cant fix.

Comment

This car is going to Precision Transmission the 1st of March.

I'm up in the air on keeping the car. Nevertheless it needs a transmission.

I need to trim the fleet down. Thinking of getting a truck to daily and giving my Dad the Honda and the F250.

I've realized I have to many projects. If I get down to one daily and keep the Talon and Vette I may actually be able to focus on the two and get something done.

Dreams vs reality. And my job takes almost every moment of every day. Especially with the past polar vortex that left me with 3 floods in a 9 story 46 million dollar building. I'm still recovering from that. I'm hoping come spring time I can get some more home time to do something for myself.

That's my update.

Comment

Picked up a set of stainless hardware for the fuel tank lid assembly.

Comment

I pulled a spark plug out today, checked the gap and decided to put it back in. The passenger side plugs look nearly impossible to replace with headers. So being as the gaps are about .037 when they should be .035 I'm not worrying about them right now. Other than that they look ok. Keeping all 8 of the old plugs in for now.

So instead of replacing the plugs I decided to replace the distributor cap and rotor. Which took me 2.0 to 2.5 hours. I had never touched an HEI distributor in my life prior that I can recall. HEI is a strange SOB.

All the old HEI crap in the new cap. Used a new button/spring, rubber washer and new screws. All which came with the cap. New rotor as well.

But, at the end of the night I could appreciate that my garage has been looking pretty awesome lately.

Comment

I replaced the spark plug wires today. I ran them adequately. They could be organized better however they are positioned away from the headers.

Oh and I found out this car has long tube headers today. Not short headers like I thought.

I was about to pull.the front tires off and get at the ball joints when I found a security lug nut. I have to find a socket for one of these. Still looking.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-06-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I located the lug nuts I do believe. I'm certain enough that I went ahead and purchased a replacement set along with the key.

Zip Corvette had these. Again, I'm pretty sure these are the ones. I'll go ahead and throw these new ones on and yank the old ones. I only needed the key or socket rather.

This will enable me to replace the front upper ball joints next Saturday. Which is one more step into selling this thing.

Comment

The locking lug nut kit came in today. I tested it out and it works. It's the exact kit the previous owner 2 owners ago purchased. Saturday I can start on the upper ball joints.

Comment

Front upper ball joint replacement. The process. Pulled the front upper control arms to make it easier. Later this week I'll get the upper control arms in with the new ball joints. Button it up and be 1 step closer to having this thing completed.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-17-2019, 06:31 PM.

Comment

The new front upper ball joints are in. Mobil 1 synthetic multi purpose grease is what I pumped them up with.

This is one more task completed!

Driver side.

Passenger side. I forgot to take pictures before completion. My bad.

And it's back together.

Comment

Working...
                                X