Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car won't hold a charge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't hold a charge.

Ok so my 90 accord was dying randomly for the last few weeks. Figured it was the alternator so went and got one from the junkyard. Put it in and car started right up, but the volts were dropping slowly starting at like 11.4V, over two minutes got down to 9 at 2000 rpms. Very annoyed with Thisbe car right now. Anyone have any ideas? Also car shut right off when I unplugged the negative on the battery.

Are you certain your battery is healthy? It's possible it's on the way out, and won't hold a full charge. This is even more likely if you're in a cold area.

If you have any electrical modifications (including just an aftermarket head unit), that could be a potential source of a power leak.
    If your wiring is damaged anywhere, that could also be the source of a leak.

My first thought in a situation like this is the starter, though. I've experienced it myself, as have a number of my friends. When the starter begins to fail, it can be a constant power draw, killing your battery sometimes overnight.

Also, don't assume that your new alternator is necessarily good. Especially if it's a parts store remanufactured unit. Those things are a crap shoot at best (though I HAVE seen brand new OEM parts be bad right out of the box as well...)

Comment

Load test the battery and bench test the alternator

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Also, don't assume that your new alternator is necessarily good. Especially if it's a parts store remanufactured unit. Those things are a crap shoot at best (though I HAVE seen brand new OEM parts be bad right out of the box as well...)
        He put one in from a junkyard - always a dicey choice unless somehow it is still low mileage or the car is obviously there because it was wrecked (still running before it wound up in the yard). I did pull one a couple weeks ago for another guy who couldn't get there; car had 170k. He hasn't complained, which means either it worked or he hasn't installed it yet.

I also had an issue with one where the main negative cable connection to the transmission housing was almost completely loose; caused all sorts of problems.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-09-2018, 02:21 AM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          He put one in from a junkyard - always a dicey choice unless somehow it is still low mileage or the car is obviously there because it was wrecked (still running before it wound up in the yard). I did pull one a couple weeks ago for another guy who couldn't get there; car had 170k. He hasn't complained, which means either it worked or he hasn't installed it yet.

I also had an issue with one where the main negative cable connection to the transmission housing was almost completely loose; caused all sorts of problems.
          Indeed it is. Always hit up the parts store to bench test used items on the way home.

Comment

Working...
          X