Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I've broken traction a couple times, and it felt squirrly in the rain, but I'm hoping that's just due to the fact that they're still wearing in.
    How many miles do you have on them? They never were squirrly for me, but I also put a track day on them after 50 miles.

Comment

Deev also has them doing rear-drive duty under an LS2 powerplant. So, there's that for traction differences.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yeah, 400hp does indeed make quite a difference!
        Right now, they probably only have a few hundred miles on them. I haven't done a lot of driving on them, since the Miata has been getting a bit of use in the last few days of warm weather!
        I think once they wear down a bit, grip should increase. The comfort and noise level is GREATLY improved over the similarly-sized Firestone Firehawk tires that were on the car when I bought it.

Comment

Since this keeps coming up, how do you know a Sumitomo produced Dunlop? Is it a certain model line or something?
          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Yeah, 400hp does indeed make quite a difference!
            Right now, they probably only have a few hundred miles on them. I haven't done a lot of driving on them, since the Miata has been getting a bit of use in the last few days of warm weather!
            I think once they wear down a bit, grip should increase. The comfort and noise level is GREATLY improved over the similarly-sized Firestone Firehawk tires that were on the car when I bought it.
            I don't think there's a single All-Season tire that wouldn't break traction at some point with that kind of power.

Comment

That's pretty much how I saw it. I don't track the car, and I rarely push it hard (when I do, it's usually in a straight line, from a roll or soft launch.) Decent performance, low cost, and a quiet and comfortable ride in all seasons was the goal.
              I'll have them tomorrow.

I've been very satisfied with General tires in the past (owned by continental). I'm hoping sumitomo proves to be another satisfactory affordable option.

When I get tires for the Miata next year, I'll likely get serious performance meats.
              "In a straight line."

That translates to "better for burnouts."
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I just put a set of these on Ruby. I'll update when I have a few miles on them, but already are better than the tires I took off (now I forget what they were, but had 40+k on them).
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Now that mine are pretty well broken-in, and they've gotten me through this incredibly mild winter, I can certainly say that I like them. The squirm has disappeared, as I had hoped (just brand new tire squirm was all...) They're certainly not true performance tires, but I feel confident on the road. The road noise and harshness is still significantly better than the Firestone Firehawks that were on there previously!

I would absolutely recommend these to anyone that wants a decent set of all season performance tires on a budget.

Comment

There's a difference, though. I'm not buying a low-quality, no-name product. It's just an affordable option from a well-known quality manufacturer. If I was asking about LING-LONG tires or something, then yeah... bad idea. But Sumitomo is good stuff.
                    That made me lol...

Comment

It's a legit brand! Full name is Ling Long Shandong. They're total crap.

Comment

I wouldn't put that tire on my car just because of the name...

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetw00d View Post
                          I just put a set of these on Ruby. I'll update when I have a few miles on them, but already are better than the tires I took off (now I forget what they were, but had 40+k on them).
                          Update: I've put about 40K (OK, more than a few miles) on these (approaching 393,000 on the car); getting close to the wear bars. My suspension must still be in reasonable shape because they have worn very evenly. They've gotten kinda dicey in wet weather; I think it is past time to replace them; I've been hesitating because of the rust on Ruby. May go for a set of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P03

Still happy with yours Deev?
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetw00d View Post

Update: I've put about 40K (OK, more than a few miles) on these (approaching 393,000 on the car); getting close to the wear bars. My suspension must still be in reasonable shape because they have worn very evenly. They've gotten kinda dicey in wet weather; I think it is past time to replace them; I've been hesitating because of the rust on Ruby. May go for a set of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P03

Still happy with yours Deev?
                            Fleetw00d I have ran the P02 and P03 versions of this tire and like both of they quite a bit. I have had the 195/60/15 and 205/45/17 versions of both between my wifes CD and my CD and got about 40,000 out of both set like you have. They handle nice, they are quiet, and do wear well. There isn't a discernible difference between the 2 that I could tell and I enjoyed them very much. My gold coupe is still running P03s.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X