Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

PCV delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCV delete

Has anyone done a pcv deletiog using mini 9mm air filters? I’ve seen pcv deletions on other model cars but not the cb7. Wondering if there are side effects from doing so or not

I've seen it but i don't agree with it as there is fluid and gas that comes out of there as well as air. The OEM system or using a catch can let's the fluid/gas out. I'm not sure of the negative impacts of not letting fluid/gas out but I imagine engineers made it this way for a reason. (<- it's really emissions I think)

Comment

I’ve heard it helps stop the with some of the burning oil since the hose no longer enters the intake manifold. I’ve even read that it adds up. Not to sure tho, would an oil catch can be a better route?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        I've seen it but i don't agree with it as there is fluid and gas that comes out of there as well as air. The OEM system or using a catch can let's the fluid/gas out. I'm not sure of the negative impacts of not letting fluid/gas out but I imagine engineers made it this way for a reason. (<- it's really emissions I think)
        The one I bought was marketed as an valve breather so the fluid and gas would be released through an air filter
        Last edited by BayArea_CB7; 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACURA-J...epid=860453224

Comment

While oil consumption is a problem in our cars, as old as they are, I would not install a breather at the PCV location on the valve cover. Another point of the PCV is to relieve positive pressure in the head, and the PCV line does that continuously, since it enters the intake system past the throttle body.

In order to deal with the oil consumption myself, I installed an oil catch can from TT racing near the fuse box (I threw out their lame hoses and got some black rubber vacuum resistant hoses from an auto parts store). I would recommend the catch can route.

Now, for the separate breather line at the corner of the valve cover, I had a breather filter for awhile. This is okay, until it's time for a smog, at which point the stock intake has to go back on. I didn't say it was great, because as the oil leaks out of this filter over time, especially when gunning it at WOT. On my current build, I am going to contact Vibrant to purchase their breather setup, which sends the oil from this valve cover exit point to the exhaust instead of the intake.
            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by BayArea_CB7 View Post
              Has anyone done a pcv deletiog using mini 9mm air filters? I’ve seen pcv deletions on other model cars but not the cb7. Wondering if there are side effects from doing so or not
              the purpose of the pcv system is to relieve crank case pressure from the rotating assembly causied by turbulence and any combustion gasses that manages to escape passed the rings into the crank case. if you simply put a filter where the pcv valve is (the hole on the center rear of the valve cover) that filter will eventually saturate with oil that condenses onto it and eventually leave you a wet, dirty, oily valve cover area. and possibly on the underside of the hood as well.

if you decide you want to get rid of the pcv system to keep oil out of your cylinders i recommend running a simple catch can set up from the pcv hose to the firewall and checking it every oil change. be sure you get a decent size can as ive came across many that are simply too small for prolonged use. id also be sure to cap or plug the nipple on the manifold.

there are benefits to running a catch can or a sealed AOS (air oil seperator, these are maintenance free) and that is that keeping oil out of the manifold and cylinders. it reduces the chances of knock on high performance engines and carbon build up.

for my build I'm using a .75 Liter catch can with dual -10 An fittings and I'm just plugging up the oem pcv hole in the valve cover as its too small (engine is boosted)

Comment

Originally posted by BayArea_CB7 View Post
                The one I bought was marketed as an valve breather so the fluid and gas would be released through an air filter
                Release to where ? :P

af_1132 is right though. It's an essential part of engine functionality. Whether you vent the gas/fluid to the air, to the intake, or to a can is your choice. The only advantage of the can or air is that it won't put that oil fluid gas junk back into the engine. (not that it matters as it gets burnt) While it was originally designed for emissions reduction as well as a one-way valve we have to remember it also helps with engine internal cleanliness and oil lifespan.

If a breather doesn't have a proper release of the fluid (I say fluid as enough collects for it to be fluid) it will get clogged easily and/or will stop venting. In that case your engine will not run like shit. The other concern is that it's not letting fluid out at all. As any filter regular cleaning will be required. Also I believe the PVC is a one way valve only too. I always thought these filters were originally for V8s and the chevy world (CVS - crank case ventilation).

Here's what was in my catch can 1st summer i ran it.

Comment

What? Without a positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV), and just a breather filter, the engine would release unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. It’ll also blow out oil seals and cause oil leaks if it’s blocked off. It’s for emissions sure, but it’s also functional. Get a catch can - there’s a reason we don’t want unburned fuel in the air.

Comment

Thank for the info anybody know a good catch can system with pictures of their own set up?

Comment

The catch cans on the market can get expensive for the name brands.

Mishimoto, Moroso, and APR are all good brands. You can eBay and get a cheaper one of those are out of budget, and there’s also the DIY route if you can weld. Maybe one with a sight so you can see how full it is too. Its just running a line from the valve cover to the can, and from the can to the intake. Routing is up to you and how fancy you wanna get.

Comment

Don't you also have to plug the line from the corner of the valve cover to the intake duct? On the OEM system, this actually allows the PCV system to pull filtered air into the crankcase. If you just put a catch can on the PCB line and leave this intake line in, the engine will push crankcase fumes backward through the intake line (less resistance maybe than the catch can/filter) into the intake duct upstream of the throttle body.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonaccord View Post
                            there are benefits to running a catch can or a sealed AOS (air oil seperator, these are maintenance free) and that is that keeping oil out of the manifold and cylinders. it reduces the chances of knock on high performance engines and carbon build up.

for my build I'm using a .75 Liter catch can with dual -10 An fittings and I'm just plugging up the oem pcv hole in the valve cover as its too small (engine is boosted)
                            Are there any other benefits to an AOS? are they more expensive? Are you running a catch can(as opposed to AOS) because of the turbo? Also, AN fittings look sick, always loved that look.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriers Wake View Post
                              Are there any other benefits to an AOS? are they more expensive? Are you running a catch can(as opposed to AOS) because of the turbo? Also, AN fittings look sick, always loved that look.
                              an AOS is basically like a catch can in a way. it has various baffles, screens, and even copper wool of sorts to separate the oily vapors from the pcv system air. it separates the oil from the air and as it collects it has a return hose back into the engine somewhere (could be the pan or valve cover, not too sure as i never installed or used one)

so while the oil goes back into the crank case, the clean oil free air is then routed back into the intake tract or manifold of the engine as normal oil free air. The benefits of this system is that it doesnt require any maintenance (draining) as it is self sufficient. An AOS can also be installed with An fitting i believe.

i went with a catch can set up because its more simplistic to install and yes far cheaper for a atpyical catch can than say a crawford performance or grimmspeed AOS. two -10 AN fittings welded on the valve cover, catch can mounted to the firewall, hoses from the valve cover to the can and thats it. (of course plug up the oem pcv hose area and a mini filter on the oem inlet on the left rear of the valve cover)

EDIT: i see the purpose of a check valve in the system now. dont want any backflow out of the little filter otherwise it wcan saturate with oil from vapors coming back out of there. i may have to invest in some for my set up. a quick google search of "-10 AN check valve" reveals that vibrant performance has some specifically for aftermarket pcv system set ups. although id need two and at 33 bucks a pop.. ill have to keep searching!
                              Last edited by Carbonaccord; 08-22-2018, 08:14 PM. Reason: new info

Comment

Working...
                              X