This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does antifreeze spoil / go bad?

I found an unopened bottle of antifreeze in the basement (Prestone) that is probably at least 3 or 4 years old, and I was wondering if it is good to use when I install my new all aluminum radiator? I'm thinking it's still good, but needed some advice.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Your fine, use it.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

It doesn't really have a shelf life does it?

Once you actually use it, then yes, you need to change it at regular intervals. My Mazda is going on 5 years with the original coolant. Definetly time to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by King James
        Not trying to start a pissing match here....but is this really the type of question that needs to be asked in the main technical forum....isnt this the type of shit why the noob forums were created

Also google would have answered the question as well....I only clicked a few links...but accordztech was correct (not that i doubted him haha) it should be good
        Normally I would respond with a really ignorant answer that would you and I on bad terms. On the strength that you would be the negative @sshole in the thread, I'll let it slide.

BTW, it is a technical question, and the topic was searched before I posted.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...helf-life.html

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=15745

If you notice many places (forums and other websites) have different opinion. I believe it's still useable, just wanted outside input from maybe those with experience.

If you have nothing positive to contribute, don't contribute at all.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

My father in law bought a HUGE supply of antifreeze, because AutoZone was having an outrageous sale and he had a certain % off coupon as well. He ended up paying about $1/gallon for Prestone (unmixed) coolant nearly 5 years ago. He's still using his supply to this day with zero issues.

Long story short, you should be perfectly fine.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
            My father in law bought a HUGE supply of antifreeze, because AutoZone was having an outrageous sale and he had a certain % off coupon as well. He ended up paying about $1/gallon for Prestone (unmixed) coolant nearly 5 years ago. He's still using his supply to this day with zero issues.

Long story short, you should be perfectly fine.
            Thanks! That is really appreciated, as two more bottles were located. One opened and the the other unopened. Any locals need some antifreeze for free, let me know.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
              Normally I would respond with a really ignorant answer that would you and I on bad terms. On the strength that you would be the negative @sshole in the thread, I'll let it slide.

BTW, it is a technical question, and the topic was searched before I posted.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...helf-life.html

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=15745

If you notice many places (forums and other websites) have different opinion. I believe it's still useable, just wanted outside input from maybe those with experience.

If you have nothing positive to contribute, don't contribute at all.
              1) Theres not much you can say that would make you and I on bad terms...purely because I really dont care that much

2) I dont think I was all that negative....not anymore than you anyways....I did offer an answer at least....but I still stand by my original statement that this is the type of shit that should be asked in the noob forum....wasnt an insult....wasnt an attack....merely stating an opinion.

Also...you can type asshole....unsure why you put the extra effort into still type an a.

Carry on sir.

Apparently my shit got deleted...so Im sure this will as well...whatever

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                1) Theres not much you can say that would make you and I on bad terms...purely because I really dont care that much

2) I dont think I was all that negative....not anymore than you anyways....I did offer an answer at least....but I still stand by my original statement that this is the type of shit that should be asked in the noob forum....wasnt an insult....wasnt an attack....merely stating an opinion.

Also...you can type asshole....unsure why you put the extra effort into still type an a.

Carry on sir.

Apparently my shit got deleted...so Im sure this will as well...whatever
                Obviously, it was needed. What's the purpose of posting something negative? I'm very intelligent, and no where on this forum let alone other places that I looked, did they have a direct answer.

I wanted to know this because of what I posted in the OP. Because of this I may have saved $10 or so, and possible another member who may need antifreeze in the future because it wasn't disposed of due to direct answers from other members.

With the above stated, your mom, dad, and/or grandparents never taught you the concept of "if you have nothing positive to say, keep it to yourself." That phrase right there is a teenie tiny step to making the world (and possibly this forum)a better place. Try it sometime.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

OMG this was a basic question about antifreeze, why is everyone making it such a big deal.

What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                    OMG this was a basic question about antifreeze, why is everyone making it such a big deal.

You're right! Let's bury the hatchet Mr. James!

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Apparently I did start a pissing match haha

Mine went further....but the wind was with me....I think we should re-pee

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                        Apparently I did start a pissing match haha

Mine went further....but the wind was with me....I think we should re-pee
                        Clearly you cheated by drinking more beers!

BTW, I don't drink!

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                        X