Question about R-12 Refrigerant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about R-12 Refrigerant

Here is something many (some?) may recall there once was a time when refrigerants we're widely available to the public no license required. In fact I purchased a 30lb contIner of Forane R-12 from Costco around 1994 which I still have minus about 8 lbs.

Which leads me to this question does anyone know the shelf-life for these products?
    Last edited by hiptech; 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
    Here is something many (some?) may recall there once was a time when refrigerants we're widely available to the public no license required. In fact I purchased a 30lb contIner of Forane R-12 from Costco around 1994 which I still have minus about 8 lbs.

Which leads me to this question does anyone know the shelflife for these products?
    To my knowledge there is no shelf life, ie - you can still buy R12 on ebay and other sites. But please check with a professional on this. I am not a professional

Comment

My guess is that they're essentially non-perishable except for leakage. I had a 30 lb canister of R134a I bought recently (DuPont brand) and after the seal was broken, within 6 months all of the refrigerant had leaked out.
      1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
      VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
      NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
      CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

When purchasing R12 on eBay you must provide the seller with EPA license information in order to purchase. And, if you do not have the proper licensing you cannot lawfully ship R12 either.

I have R12 in bulk. I gathered up all I could while I could years ago. A couple cases of 12 ounce cans and a 30lb tank as I recall. I guess they would all be approaching about 12 to 15 years old by now. They were still good almost 2 years ago when I seen them last. Little surface rust that wipes off here and there on the 12oz cans but that's it. Storing them inside out of the moisture probably helps.

Comment

According to a licensed distributor or gasses including refrigerant; refrigerant has an indefinite shelf life when it is stored correctly.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I learned something new today (imagines being the last guy on earth with a can of R12, sells on ebay for $222,000,000)

Comment

They still make R12. You just have to have a license to get it. And it's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                They still make R12. You just have to have a license to get it. And it's expensive.
                I think you mean the replacement for it which is also being discontinued due to cost to manufacture or so said the supplier, one version that I know of was Freeze 12 which is the one I am referring to above. I used to sell that stuff like crazy when I was a parts salesman, last time I purchased actual R12 it was something like $60 por can which caused me to just do the retrofit instead.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                  Manufacturer and import of new R12 has been banned since 1996. The only R12 still available today is from R12 recovered from older systems or stored since 1996.

Comment

By "made" I mean it's still being put into containers. You can buy new cans of it but the product inside is still old. If that makes more sense.

Edit... just checked my virgin 30lb R12 container. It says 2002 on it. It's got the Ford oval as well.
                    Last edited by H311RA151N; 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone appreciate the replies...

So many products including both aerosol paint, Dino and synthetic oil, brake fluids, etc all seem to have "use by" dates it had me wondering.

Just spoke with several AC techs and you're right. Since the refrigerant is kept in a pressurized container away from air the amount of degradation over time is miniscule.
                      My Collection:
                      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I still have a can of R12 I bought off craigslist a few years back for 20 bucks for my R12 system. It still has the $3.99 price tag on it LOL. Its gotta be from the early 90s. Bought it off some old guy who had 3 or 4 in his garage in Phoenix, AZ. But as far as I can tell, only the underside of the can has some very slight surface rust, it still feels like it weighs the same, 12 oz I believe. The can itself has pretty thick walled construction on it.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I just redid my complete ac system with new seals,expansion valve,compressor,dryer and hoses then refilled it with r12 which I found on "offer up" $15 a can. Now my 92 wagon blows ice cold!

Comment

Originally posted by 7beast View Post
                            I just redid my complete ac system with new seals,expansion valve,compressor,dryer and hoses then refilled it with r12 which I found on "offer up" $15 a can. Now my 92 wagon blows ice cold!
                            Why didn't you upgrade your AC to R134? Any leak/break in your AC now and you'll have to hunt for R12 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              Why didn't you upgrade your AC to R134? Any leak/break in your AC now and you'll have to hunt for R12 again.
                              Because our cars are not designed for 134a, I have converted several older civics to 134a before and it just never blew as cold at least not to my liking. That's why I spent the extra $ on getting everything I could brand new

Comment

Working...
                              X