No announcement yet.

apalileo : 1993 Accord DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa that IS strikingly similar! Great minds think alike! That's awesome to see your car back then too!
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

April 2016 - Front Spring Swap

Decided to bring the front spring rate down and try the old 450's in the front.

7" 600# spring vs 8" 450# spring:

I left the perches alone until the suspension was back on the car. There was no way for me to calculate how much to adjust off the car with different rates and lengths. Once down the car sat 0.75" higher than on the 600's. A few turns down and I'm back where I was. You can see that the perches are already offset as a result of variance in corner weight.

I feel this is the setup I will be keeping for my daily driving purposes. Instead of the 2:1 front to rear ratio it's a 3:2, similar to that of the Neuspeed Race springs, and nearly the same specs.

These also came in yesterday:

I know I could have gotten washers and shorter bolts, but I wanted to support a business that supports us! I have some Cheddas shifter bushings on the way so they'll all go in together!

Comment

I went k-tuned and ffc for my shifter bushings, I haven't dropped the plate yet, but there's a HUGE difference from stock.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Nice! I do appreciate that there are still companies supplying parts for the 4th and 5th gen Accords. I am sure that all of these will tighten things up. I tend to "play with the play" when I'm at stop lights.

Hey Beans, let me ask you something... Are the shock bodies of the B8 HD's shorter than those of the B6 HD's? I've only seen images showing that the strut rod is shorter. In time I'll likely want to swap out the shocks and if the B8 HD's will give me more shock travel from a shortened body, that would definitely sway my decision. I've literally got <1" of shock travel before the body hits the bump stop when the suspension is loaded, and that's with the FFC extended top hats. Any bit could help!

Comment

These came in today: Cheddas shifter cable linkage bushings.

Simple enough to install. A c-clamp is highly recommended. These along with the Shayspec solid shifter assembly mounts really tighten up the connection to the transmission. Since I'm running the Prelude shifter plate, I had to make due with only the two front mounts correctly seated while the rear two are seated entirely above the plate. I didn't take any photos as it's not really anything glamorous to look at!

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
              Nice! I do appreciate that there are still companies supplying parts for the 4th and 5th gen Accords. I am sure that all of these will tighten things up. I tend to "play with the play" when I'm at stop lights.

Hey Beans, let me ask you something... Are the shock bodies of the B8 HD's shorter than those of the B6 HD's? I've only seen images showing that the strut rod is shorter. In time I'll likely want to swap out the shocks and if the B8 HD's will give me more shock travel from a shortened body, that would definitely sway my decision. I've literally got <1" of shock travel before the body hits the bump stop when the suspension is loaded, and that's with the FFC extended top hats. Any bit could help!
              My k-tunes bushings were meant for early K series cars, they worked perfect!

B8's should just be a shorter shock shaft, I wouldn't think Bilstein would go through the trouble of completely redesigning the whole shock body, but who knows. As far as I know, the B8's are virtually unobtanium since they're technically a Euro market item. Odd that you're running into shock travel problems, mine have about 3 inches before bumpstop comes into play. With my homebrew extended top hats, I had to use the smaller washer meant for the top of the shock that goes above the bushing below the top hat otherwise the washer that goes below was too large to allow the bumpstop to reach all the way up into the deeper top hat. Let me know if you need clarity. Previously, I only had about 1.5-2" of travel before hitting the bumpstop.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I didn't think deeply enough into the logistics of having a whole separate line of shock bodies for B8's. In searching for those B8's they are definitely a rarity.

I spent some time this evening tweaking my suspension setup. I ended up swapping the 600's back on up front. I turned the front rebound down 180° so now I've got the Koni's set to +2 front and +3 rear. One thing I did realize is that the front bushing was not seating all the way up in the FFC top hat. I had to reduce the diameter of the top "bulge" by about 2mm and now it sits up higher in the top hat, but within FFC's instructions to have it protrude just past the rubber spring isolator. I raised my car .25" (two full turns on the perches) so I'm at 14" from fender to hub center. I've now got about 1.5"-1.75" of travel to the bump stop. The test drive proved how much better the ride is with sufficient travel. I thought the ride on the 600's was harsh due to the rate, but in retrospect I was hitting the bump stops rather frequently.

How much additional mounting height did your extended top hats add? FFC's specs indicate a 1.5" addition to the mounting height, but they do require a certain amount of bump stop.

Comment

About 1.5" of added travel. Did the koni's come with new bumpstop? My Bilsteins did, and I'm using thoae, I know the stock bumpstop is a good 1-2" taller and a little bit fatter.

Comment

Okay, our top hats are similar in the extension. With regards to the bump stops, I didn't get any with the Koni's (bought used) so I'm running new OEM ones. There are four segments in the front bump stop and I cut the top and bottom ones off. As I recall, the segments didn't taper in diameter from top to bottom like the rear ones. That's why I had to shave a segment's diameter as I discovered it was resting on an inner lip of the top hat rather than up against the washer beneath the strut rod bushing. This drew the bump stop up about about an 0.25".

Comment

If you keep running into bumpstop issues, give Fat Cat Motorpsorts a call. I believe good-win-racing also carries their products. FCM has awesome info on their website about bumpstops.

Comment

Man, I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. Good stuff. Great choice on the Koni/GC. I love my set. Also bought used with about 2k miles on them. Had them 3 years now, and love every day. The FFC extended top hats are a great addition too. I'm running the 550lb/450lb combo the previous owner installed. Perfect for my driving style. The one thing I have been lagging on is helper springs....def need to cop a set!

Also, do you have any sound clips of the Sebring exhaust? I literally just picked one up tonight off a BB2 Prelude for $30! I had planned on flipping it for a profit, but I'm probably gonna end up keeping it LOL.

Oh and lastly, I don't think I've seen you at any Accord meets.....you should attend the 5th Annual Cali Accord Meet this June 25th!
                        Last edited by Corweena; 04-12-2016, 05:06 AM.

Comment

@Chrisnick - Since the slight tweaks to the suspension, I've been riding nice! The OEM bump stop is definitely firm, but now that it's trimmed properly and I've added some stroke, it has served its purpose as intended. I only strike it on serious inconsistencies in the road and with the added travel before contact, there's more spring compression so the impacts are far less dramatic.

@Corweena - I don't know where any of the meets are so I just spend my time here on the forum. I do plan on attending CAM this year though! As for the Sebring, I don't have a clip, but I can say that it only raises the decibel level slightly. I think most people who see my tailpipes just think they're stock. It does have a nice smooth hum to it. The most noticeable change is at higher RPM. It's not a screamer by any means, but it definitely brought out some new notes on the road. I like it for a daily driver. One day I'll buy a full cat-back.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                            @Corweena - I don't know where any of the meets are so I just spend my time here on the forum. I do plan on attending CAM this year though! As for the Sebring, I don't have a clip, but I can say that it only raises the decibel level slightly. I think most people who see my tailpipes just think they're stock. It does have a nice smooth hum to it. The most noticeable change is at higher RPM. It's not a screamer by any means, but it definitely brought out some new notes on the road. I like it for a daily driver. One day I'll buy a full cat-back.
                            Nice, thanks. I have a custom Magnaflow catback currently....I'm just looking for a muffler I can bolt on that is quieter for daily driving. I love the Magnaflow but on longer drives it can be a little loud.

Comment

April 2016 - Brake Upgrade

Teaser pic until I have the time to wash the car and take better photos:

New to the mod list:
                              91-94 Acura NSX front calipers
                              98-99 Acura CL 3.0 front caliper brackets 25T
                              Stoptech 98-99 Acura CL 3.0 front slotted rotors
                              Stoptech 98-99 Acura CL 3.0 front street pads
                              Stoptech rear slotted rotors
                              Stoptech rear street pads
                              Techna Fit stainless steel braided brake lines
                              94-01 Acura Integra RS 40/40 proportioning valve
                              Speed bleeders

Decided to switch things up and paint the calipers and rotors with VHT Gold Flake Engine Metallic.

Comment

Very nice brake upgrade! You're lucky you didn't have to deal with eliminating ABS; that can be tedious. I love that you're doing topretty notch mods with top notch parts. It's good to see an enthusiast get into one of these cars as opposed to someone who just slaps on wheels and a drop then sells the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X