No announcement yet.

apalileo : 1993 Accord DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mike! I've seen the maze that is the ABS system. That's the charm of the DX, its simplicity.

I am experiencing far more confident braking with this setup. Both the NSX calipers and the 40/40 prop valve have improved my stopping distance and the front wheels don't lock up as quickly as they did before the 40/40. Breaking in the system involved several aggressive deceleration phases from about 40-20 mph, a cool down period and then several phases from about 60-30 mph (performed in an industrial area at 10 PM). All of which were very promising and not once did I lock up the fronts and they look to have heat cycled properly.
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Did you have to regent all the lines or was a fairly straightforward swpa to the prop valve? There's one in a local yard I've thought about snagging, but the location on the CD is a bit of a bitch.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

If you swap the bracket from yours onto the 40/40 it's a straight forward swap. No need to rebend anything.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I didn't swap the bracket at all. I've read several cases where swapping the bracket has resulted in leaks. Mine is literally suspended in place by the hard lines. None of which had to be reshaped. Yes, a bit of manipulation is required to get all of the flare nuts to seat and it was a pain an a half to do, but once they're all secured it stays in place. The bracket from the 40/40 is completely on the opposite side of the stock one so it's just hanging out.

Chrisnick, doesn't your CD have ABS?

Comment

A trick is to place the valve in a vise and squeeze both halves together. It doesn't take a lot of force. Then you can swap the bracket.

Comment

I'm planning to do this with my 4040 valve, but I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. I just can't seem to imagine what is so difficult about swapping brackets that causes leaks. If I can replace a headgasket without it leaking, or power steering pump seals without them oozing fluid everywhere, then why are people having so much trouble with this thing?

I'm coming from this with no experience swapping brackets, I just don't seem to understand, I guess.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

My car is a non-abs LX(i think only the LX sedans were available with ABS/4wheel disc). I'll have to snag it and see what all I'd have to do. The soft initial pedal annoys me greatly.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  I'm planning to do this with my 4040 valve, but I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. I just can't seem to imagine what is so difficult about swapping brackets that causes leaks. If I can replace a headgasket without it leaking, or power steering pump seals without them oozing fluid everywhere, then why are people having so much trouble with this thing?

I'm coming from this with no experience swapping brackets, I just don't seem to understand, I guess.
                  I figured the same thing... keep even torque all around and all should be well, then as I researched further, I read of issues with leaking due to disassembly. Tishock's advice is sound. Maybe breaking a seal after 20+ years just does it in. Could also be warping due to years of heat cycling. Who knows!? So far I've had zero issues with it not being bracketed down. With 6 hard lines attached to it, it's webbed in place pretty well.

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
                  My car is a non-abs LX(i think only the LX sedans were available with ABS/4wheel disc). I'll have to snag it and see what all I'd have to do. The soft initial pedal annoys me greatly.
                  Interesting to know! LX Coupe FTW! Aside from the prop valve, ss braided brake lines help with pedal feel.

Comment

I've successfully swapped the brackets on two 40/40 prop valves and haven't had either leak. Didn't use a vice either, just on the bench then re-assembled them by hand. I have no idea why people are so scared of doing this and/or have had issues. They must have done something wrong is all I can come up with.

Comment

I decided to err on the side of caution. If I come across the need to address the bracket, I'll give it a shot (probably still vice it as well). With the work it took just to get it installed, I'd prefer to leave it be for now!

Comment

I guess I should have said that replacing the o-ring seal would be mandatory if I were to take it apart.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Coming along nicely! Do you have any pics of the top hats and other brake items installed? NSX brake caliper hype! loving the color.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Looking good, what else in store for the cb
                            NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                            DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

@baracuda - Thanks! I'll take pictures when I can but I finished late at night so I had to get things buttoned up and running. The color was a real spur of the moment. I was going to keep things black but thought to myself, why not?

@Darkcloud - There's always something in store! I've completed the front suspension and brakes to my satisfaction and will get to the rear suspension next. Once it's all squared away I'll get under the hood. Small things here and there as well.

Comment

Oh yes by the way great work on the NSX calipers. I've been wanting to do this for awhile now. But after having done the 11.1" and prelude calipers only a few years ago, it's been low on the priority list. Great job though man, your probably one of the only members to have done this for a few years now.

Comment

Working...
                                X