White smoke after breaking hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White smoke after breaking hard

So the other day I was driving down the 60 highway and as usual there was heavy traffic. Speed picked up and immediately dropped. After hitting the brakes hard, my cb7 began to smoke white for some reason and then it went away.

The very next day I was curious about why that happened so while the car was running and already warmed up, I pushed the brakes hard and again, the car began to smoke white. I parked the car, let it sit for about ten minutes, and started her up again. No smoke.

Did you ever fix your brake fluid leak? It could be leaking onto the rotors/pad and your burning it off while braking
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I wasn't able to fix the brake leak completely because the ABS system needs its seals to be replaced. Also, this white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, like if the head gasket has blown

Comment

So the brakes have vacuum assist off the intake manifold. Other than that I have no idea where to go on this one. I'm curious to see if anyone else has any idea.
        My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
        Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
        Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Is it actually coming from the exhaust or from under the car per se? If it's under the car, then it could be brake fluid leaking onto the exhaust pipe somewhere possibly then burning? Might only happen when braking that it leaks enough to get to the exhaust. Not really sure as this one is a bit odd...
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

It's actually coming from the exhaust. This was my take on it. The brakes have vacuum assist from the intake manifold. I know I also have a vacuum leak somewhere within rhe FICV or/and IACV. Hard braking calls for the assist but the vacuum isn't there so the motor loses vacuum needing more power to push the car. Braking ends, but the engine hasn't created enough of a vacuum so something happens to leak coolant somewhere causing the white smoke from the exhaust?? I dunno. I just wanna fix my abs system lol

Comment

Your car has a brake booster leak. It's getting into the booster which is connected to the IM. This would put some brake fluid into the manifold and burn it off. I bet it pools up at the bottom of the manifold and gets sucked into the motor when you slam on the brakes. Burning brake fluid produces white smoke.

Check the hose that goes from the brake booster to the manifold. Check around the brake booster. You will probably find brake fluid somewhere.

Comment

Oni_cb7, do you think that is also causing the abs reservoir to overflow as well? NH-503P-3 was explaining to me that the brake booster might be overflowing and filling the brake reservoir. Once midterms are over for me, I'll give an update or something

Comment

Wait... the MC and the booster are two isolated systems. The MC would have to be leaking into a faulty booster which you should definitely feel a strange pedal pressure if that were the case.

Does the car smoke when the brakes are pressed hard AND the car is not moving?

Disconnect the booster hose, plug up the manifold and then press the brakes. See if there is any discharge. See if there are any leaks by the brake pedal.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The car does have a really soft/spongy feel to the brakes. That being said, I don't see any brake fluid leaking from the Master cylinder, just the ABS reservoir (which is the only place where this car leaks brake fluid from). Also, yes, the car does smoke when the brakes are pressed hard and the car is not moving. I had forget to state that in my OP. That was the very next day when it first began occurring.

Comment

Check inside the car where the rod for the master cylinder comes through the firewall for brake fluid flowing down the inside (and under your carpet).
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Alright gents, here's a small update. So I popped open my hood today and check around the brake booster and brake master cylinder head area. I couldn't find any leaks anywhere but along my intake (where it connects to the IM) I found some dark fluid and wasn't sure wth it was. I checked my manifold and I had some lose hose which I have no idea what it connects to as well. My IM is also super dirty and has some strange yellow residue in places. Here are some pics:

No idea where this hose is supposed to go, I'm assuming the SRI

No leaks from the brake booster hose into the firewall.

Comment

The hoses with the yellow crap route engine coolant to the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV, on the left in the photos) and the Fast Idle Thermo Valve (FITV, on the right in the photos). When is the last time your coolant was changed? The small hose on top of the intake is supposed to be a source of filtered air for the start assist valve (I forget the official name). On a stock intake duct, there is a nipple on top just upstream of the throttle body.

The brake fluid leak I was telling you to look for is on the inside of the car where the master cylinder push rod comes through to the brake pedal.
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-11-2017, 09:55 AM.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

My bad again, I forgot to state that I checked inside and I couldn't find any brake fluid inside the car above the brake pedal. And there wasn't any where the push rod from the master cylinder goes through the firewall.

I bought this car about 3 months ago, I never got a chance to change its coolant. And from the looks of things, the PO was pretty incompetent in regards to cars. So, it needs a coolant change. I've checked the coolant reservoir and it appeared to be a clear faint green color.

Comment

So I was by my car tonight, and I decided to give the car another look and I don't know how I overlooked this but I did happen to find a leak but it was under the clutch line (not really sure what to call it, all I know is that it connects to the clutch pedal and not the brake pedal). I also found some fluid to be under the master brake cylinder are on the engine, but that may or may not be spillage from refilling the master cylinder so often. Along with this, while driving, my oil light began to flicker and began to blink once I arrived back at school. I parked the car, and checked my oil levels and they seemed fine. I checked the master brake cylinder and it was almost empty, like probably 5% of fluid was left. My best guess is the low amount of fluid was straining the engine heavily, producing low oil pressure. Not sure. As always, here's some pics:

I also noticed how my coil to my third cylinder doesn't go down completely for some reason. I let the car run and kept trying to push it down, but nothing. Here's a pic of that, I'm hoping it doesn't really mean anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X