EXT: Door Handle Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Door Handle Conversion

well i finally decided to do this door handle conversion cause my door lock was messed up from someone keying it before.

well this guy has a DIY as well but its not too direct, its only for the passenger side...i tried to contact him to use his pics, but he wasnt avalible. so i just credit him the pics in all respect.

DIY

its a little differnt with the drivers side door that i figured out for myself.

*i take no responsibility for your failure to do this right, but i will help*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Diffuculty rating (1-10): 4
    time: 2 hours taking your time

materials:
    dremmel, or flat bed sander, or something to sand down this.
    10 MM deep socket with extention
    needle nose pliers
    Flat head screw driver
    6 washers
    5/16 drill bit
    Drill

procedures:

----to remove door pannel----
    *ROLL UP THE WINDOW*
    1. open the door and remove the door pannel
    -there is a screw hidden on the pocket of the arm rest, one on the bottom left of the door hidden under a circle cap...and one in the middle of the door handle inside.
    -take out the door handle thing in the back of it...pull it forward TOWARDS the car and then pull out....get your long nose pliers or flathead to push tha tplastic off the bar and lift the bar out...
    -take out all the connections as well

removing the handle---
    --pull back the plastic to expose the door hanle and 2 bolts..

-you will see 2 differnt iron rods going to that door handle inside. one connected to a white clip (thats the lock for the key) and the other to this gold thing and the top of the handle (thats what makes the door open)
    -pull out the gold piece from the handle by yanking it sideways...just force it (make sure u keep the hold part and the plastic part that was connected to it in tact

-then that other piece, i just broke it off the lock mechanism...but you will probably find a way to take the rod out.

-use your 10 mm deep socket extention to remove the 2 bolts
    it is similar to this on the passenger side except it doesnt show the lock mechanism.

----->if at some point you close the door with no door handle, just go in from another door and pull on the bar that was on the door handle piece next to the door lock<---------

obtain a rear door handle. if your converting the passenger side, u need a rear passenger door handle. if you are doing the drivers side, you need a drivers side rear door handle.

i bought mine at the junk yard for 15 bucks. it was in bad condition and had alot of scratches....i polished it up and im surpried it matched my car. also get a color code from your car to bring to you to the junk yards....
    --to fit the handle--
    1. you have to shave down the posts on the rear door handles to fit the front flush. like this

the top is the origional, and the bottom is the new rear one

you can tell if you put the new one in how much you have to shave off...i say about 1/4 of an inch....its a long process, i did a little at a time. make sure when i shave off the posts, shave off the little plastics that connect to it...its a small line...iono but that made mine stand up more..so i shaved it.
    **make sure the posts are straight, or you will get an uneven mount**

here is mine

2. when you finally got that done u need to drill out a rivet to get rid of the shaft that the rear door uses. to save yourself a step, use a 5/16 drill bit. this will help bore out the hole later for the thing that connects to the door lock mechanism. (gold thing and pastic thing left in the car)

like this:

and then the shaft will come out like this...disguard it

---->important!!<-----
    !! if your doing the passenger side, you must put that plastic piece here on the right side of the door handle!!

!!but if your doing the passenger side like me you must put it on the left side hole (if it dont look like it will fit correctly its fine...the hold piece will go in there anyway!!

installing your new handle----

3. now take out that plastic piece thats on that gold thing in the door, and put it in the left hole (right hole if your doing the passenger side) then put that gold piece into it and test the door..

4. put washers where the old screws to hold down the old handle to take up the slack, on one side i used 2 washers, the other side i used 3

see how he put his washers (remember this is the passenger so urs wont look like this if your doing the drivers side)

secure the rod that went to the key lock mechanism...somehwere or make it so it wont bang against things...i forgot to do this and hear it rattling when i open the door hahaha...

replace the door pannel

tada!

it was easy, the only hard part was shaving down the handle to fit, i found a sander wasnt going to cut it with fine grit paper haha.

i really like the look, only spent 15 bucks too...and its a match!

sorrie for a sloppy DIY but this is very self explanatory and once you get in there you can kinda tell how things work.

good luck
    Last edited by accordztech; 01-07-2004, 02:57 AM.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Did you get the keyless entry installed already?. otherwise youl have to smash your window all the time

Comment

there is always the trunk...yes i been having keyless entry for about 5 years now
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

good, keyless entry is a good thing, i should get it on my 5th gen, hmmm how much does it cost?? + installation or watever.

Comment

Originally posted by xplode
          good, keyless entry is a good thing, i should get it on my 5th gen, hmmm how much does it cost?? + installation or watever.
          mine cost 150 to buy it and have it installed at a local shop
          In memory of Jameel Johnson 4.30.05--You will never be forgotten...

MY Car

HydroDunk Mixtapes...check it out

Comment

i paid $200 installed for an alarm with a dual stage shock sensor and ignition kill, and keyless entry a year ago at a place in modesto for my civic

last week took my CD5 to a place in sacramento and they installed the same alarm and tinted the back 3 windows 6% for $300.

Comment

i paid like 40 bucks for my alarm.....and i'm about to trade it in for another one...

Head Games Intl

Comment

yeah i think i might get one installed, i not gonna shave the handles but its cool.

Comment

i did only my passenger side so far (dont have the keyless entry hooked up all the way yet) and i didnt drill out that bar/shaft that u screw the metal bar into. i just screwed the metal bar into the existing thing and it worked fine. i didnt shave down the posts far enough so im gonna redo it, so ill take a pic when i do to show u what i mean.
                  Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-08-2004, 02:17 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ive decided against getting the no lock.. ima keep it stock. i like the look

Comment

good mod jay, i was gonna do to my CB&, but i sold it before i could do anymore to it
                      10-25-03 RIP little brown coupe

Comment

woOt..i got the other side here at the yard for 12 bucks.!! hella cheap.

imma do the rest of the conversion so now im happy.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

haha hella cheap is using your five finger discount in a junkyard. shit i got 2 rear handles in white for my car, 2 other dark blue rear handles for a friend with keyless entry, and cpmike got another white one from the same junk yard it was a easy.

i will do my friends cb7 like maybe next week, and i have to wait till i get an alarm with keyless entry so thats a down side. and cpmike i dunno when he will do his but yea we all stole 5 of rear handles the same color we all needed the same day my pockets and my friends pockets were bulging out

lol we raped the junk yard, they got owned

Comment

hahaha thats some funny shit, man if i fit the handles in my pockets ill be set.

i wonder if i can put a ecu strapped to my back lol!!!

well i finished my conversion, took me 20 minutes. making reccord times =)

Retro!

Hater

Comment

how did you remove the rear handle out without breaking the post?
                              did u use a ratchet?
                              i couldn't get it out because it was at a difficult part to reach by tools.
                              and it was at the salvage yard so there wasno way to move the door.
                              or maybe u used a crecent wrench?(most likely)
                              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Working...
                              X