Thread: Trunk struts
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikaah View Post
He's got a Jetta Flushmount on his trunk.. Apparently it's really heavy. (relatively that is..)
Oh, I didn't see that in the original post.
Good thing the OP stated that he needed stronger springs due to his heavy Non-OEM spoiler

Quote:
The VW flushmount I have is the foam style, and the thing probably weighs damn near 10lbs. It must weigh twice what a CB OEM spoiler does. It's like a giant weight on my trunk lid. It even takes some extra effort to open my trunk.
Take it off, Problem solved.

Quote:
I don't want to add OEM trunk springs. My intent is to add struts just for something different, because I haven't see anyone do it.
Oh now I understand.
You don't actually not want springs because "
Quote:
Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.
" You want struts because you want to be different.

I'm not taking the piss, I'm just showing you the basis of this thread.

If you want trunk struts, you will need to source some from another vehicle.
It really isn't that hard to setup either, just make sure you use low pressure struts - Most likely candidate is some 20 year old ones that have lost their pressure, Like some out of a legend that can no longer hold the hood up, in conjunction with the original CB springs.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote