H motor and F tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H motor and F tranny

Hey guys I'm doing an jdm h22a swap in my car and it looks like I will be short on my funds with doing the whole lsd tranny swap together. Does anyone know how well the tranny will do with the h22 motor? I used to have a h23a1 so I know it should work but how well? I am looking at swapping the lsd tranny as well, but is it harder to swap a tranny once the engine is put in? If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

it's a direct bolt-on, just as if you were simply replacing your tranny for the same one. as far as performance, the gear ratios are only slightly longer (slower) than an h tranny. i did a tranny swap with the engine in. wasn't too hard but since i didnt have a lift we slid it under the car and lifted with a tow rope, setting it on a jack to ease alignment. pain in the back. definitely doable.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-05-2011, 01:23 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

expect it to be a little slower. the f tranny is a highway tranny
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Ya as long as it's do able that would be best. Just need at least my dd back. The lsd tranny will come later. For the ecu do you think I should get a p13 that comes with the block or get a p28? In the future I'm looking into getting cams and I/H/E. Also I have a h23 header, downpipe, and twin loop exhaust. Should I just sell the header and dp? I don't believe I can use them for the h22a. I want to keep the twin loop though so I think I should only have to get a h22 header(bisi), and a dp of some brand. Will that work? I want to be able to keep most of the exhaust and only have to change the header but I don't believe it will work.

Comment

if you're just looking to save money and get driving again stick with the p13, it'll run fine. unless you're considering buying cheap/low-power parts INSTEAD of quality pieces, it might make sense to drop the big money now to save in the long run by not paying for the cheap parts to begin with. otherwise better parts can come later, you dont need a tune (p28) on a stock engine, for one.

yeah i dont think a 23 header will fit a 22. the bisi header does include the downpipe (2.5" outlet), i've never seen an aftermarket header that didnt.

i'm looking to thoroughly build my h22 as well but as it's my only car i'm willing to settle for cheap parts to get me by until then. dropping a thousand on a header at present just wont work for me, so in the event my h22 from hmotorsonline is missing the downpipe im getting a megan racing header - 160 shipped from importrp.com. much more budget friendly
          Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

sorry for double post... limited character count on ps3.

if you're going to put the bisi header on now, you have to do the rest of the exhaust system or you wont see any power gains. keeping stock from the cat back chokes the 2.5" diameter down to 2".

Accord Aero-R

Comment

As for the ecu I've decided to stick to a p13. I'm not gunna bother with cheaper parts right now, I would rather be stock with I/H/E. I would rather save up for the pricier part then get something temperary. I will get rid of the h23 header with dp and looking at getting just the bisi ones because it will just bolt on the twinloop.

By the way has anyone ran with a lsd tranny or a 2 step launch controller? I would like to know what you know about them. I know what they are and what they do but did you guys like the difference they gave? I know for a fact I will get the lsd but the launch controller is still up in the air

Once again thanks for all your guys help

Comment

Oh and I had one more thing. When I get my motor from hmotorsonline what can I do for the exhaust when setting it up? I don't believe my stock exhaust from my h23 with bolt to it.

Comment

The HMO motor should come with a header and downpipe. Sometimes they don't include the downpipe, probably because just like in American junk yards the cat is often cut off at the flex pipe/dp when the motor is removed in Japan. If you haven't ordered your engine yet, ask to make sure it includes the downpipe and you'll be set. A JDM H22 downpipe flange won't bolt straight up to a USDM cat flange, but I read on here you can solve that easily by drilling new holes in the JDM flange to match them up. Or if you can find a USDM H22 downpipe, don't quote me on this but I would assume it's compatible with the JDM primaries.

A Bisi header requires a bit of custom work to get it connected to the rest of your exhaust, as it does not include a flange at the end of the downpipe. I think it's Kteller.com that offers a compatible "JDM flange" that can be welded on after slight modification.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Mister fez sir, I expect your swap to be finished by the spring meet, as for the H with the F tranny, I just finished my swap and I'm running the F tranny, and to be quite honest, I"m happy with it. Has no problem staying toe to toe with my buddies 01 lude. As for the exhaust what I did was spend the extra cash for an aftermarket header and downpipe /shrug. Gewd to go.

Keep an Eye on my Coupe. Click the Pic

Comment

haha ya dude I'm definately planning on going to the spring meet. My buddy told me I better not miss it. Are you meeting up with the guys that are meeting at ihop before hand? If you are, I will look forward to seeing you there.

So you went with just an aftermarket header thats it? Hmm I guess we will see what I can do with my budget. I'm getting my drop probably in another 3 weeks or so then the aftermarket stuff will slowly creep in.

Oh and thanks CyborgGT I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Yeah I'll be at the premeet at ihop, as for the aftermarket exhaust, I snagged a header and downpipe for a 92-95 prelude with the h22, the exhaust has to be pulled in about half an inch to fit properly, but everything mounts the way it should. Running the F tranny you will find that is isn't quite as fun, takes more to keep yourself in vtec range, but that's something you'll just have to deal with.

Comment

Ya I've been buggin my friends about how I will fall out of vtec and making the sound of how it will be. They're all pretty annoyed by now lol

Are you planning on getting anything else other than I/H/E? I'm really set on the bisi headers then I will get tranny/cams around the same time in sept.

Comment

Eventually, nothing in the immediate future though.

Comment

Mike and new guy, you both need a p28 and set VTEC to 4688, that will keep your VTEC kickin. I happen to know a gentlemen who sells them cheap.

but that is what you should do there.
                              MadLab Racing
                              Southern Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X