No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work on Lola! Really nice car, SUUUUUCKS you fell on the door but at least you are ok.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Wow I missed quite a lot in my absence! Always great work despite the set backs! Last I saw the lip was still unfinished and it turned out amazing! That Optimus Prime costume was a masterpiece! All of the new engine, transmission and cooling updates are fantastic and the cleanliness (both in execution and aesthetic) is way above board, as is usual for you. A lot was covered in the last 6 pages, but it was well worth the read!
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
        Wow I missed quite a lot in my absence! Always great work despite the set backs! Last I saw the lip was still unfinished and it turned out amazing! That Optimus Prime costume was a masterpiece! All of the new engine, transmission and cooling updates are fantastic and the cleanliness (both in execution and aesthetic) is way above board, as is usual for you. A lot was covered in the last 6 pages, but it was well worth the read!
        Thanks a lot Anthony, means a lot coming from someone else who also does really clean work.

Honestly the lip has held up so much better than I imagined it would. The only real damage is from me catching it on a chunk of rebar, which put a little tear in the bottom edge facing the ground. So you can't even see it only feel it. I'm going to melt this back together with the solder gun eventually. Other than that it only has some little paint dings from rocks hitting it on the highways.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Alright so I've been slacking in a few areas. I haven't updated as much as I should.

Our family is sort of in a life crisis right now. Always fun right? On June 1st we were evicted from the house that we have rented for the last 4 years. The only reason for eviction is because our land lady screwed her self over somehow, and lost 1 house she owned, can't sell another, and is evicting us out of ours to live in it herself. So her financial mishaps are now our crisis. While just moving to another house sounds easy, it is not for us. My GF runs a daycare out of our house, so finding another house to rent has been a nightmare. As of this morning we came to the decision it's time to just buy a house. Even though we just started building or long term house. We started last month working on a cow barn on our family farm south of Cheney, WA. The plan was to live here in Missoula, MT for another 2-3 years then move out to the farm once the house was completed. Being evicted has hopefully not changed this, but now we need to get everything together and buy a house and move in a month or so.

Moving forward. I have been working on Lola here and there and most of this past weekend. I had plans to work on all kinds of things outside on Saturday, but it decided to rain all day long. So instead Lola got a lot of attention that she has been in need of.

I mentioned I thought she had a vacuum leak but I did a bunch of testing and couldn't find anything. I did not smoke test the engine as other tests didn't reveal anything. The last 2 weeks or so during startup it has been stumbling and not running right, until 30 seconds or so. I needed to find the root cause. I decided it was time to do a compression test the results weren't the greatest.

Cylinder 1: 182 psi
          Cylinder 2: 78 psi
          Cylinder 3: 174 psi
          Cylinder 4: 168 psi

Alright so I figure I have 2 options at this point. First being blown rings, which I really didn't want to find. The second being the valves needing an adjustment. So I tore down the top of the engine the rest of the way and proceeded to adjust the valves. I'm going to admit some laziness on my part. I didn't recheck or adjust the valves after breaking the engine in. All the intake valves were under 0.005" which is the smallest feeler gauge I have. The intake valves on cylinder 2 were the cause of the low compression. Results after the valve adjustment were

Cylinder 1: 178 psi
          Cylinder 2: 174 psi
          Cylinder 3: 176 psi
          Cylinder 4: 184 psi

It would seem that I left cylinder 4 just a touch looser than the other 3 cylinders, which would account for the slightly higher compression.

On 2 separate drives during the last week I had an issue where the car was starting to overheat with the a/c running while the weather is warm. This also happened a month or so ago on a few really warm days we had. I needed to get this rectified. I disassembled the radiator bits, and installed some weather stripping between the condenser and the radiator to force all air that goes through that part of the condenser to also go through the radiator instead of leak out of the large gaps on the sides between them. Air always takes the path of least resistance, so I need to come up with ways to manage the air flow to the now much smaller radiator. This work required me to remove the bumper, so I was able to clean up and wrap a bunch of wiring that didn't get done last year, when I was in a rush to get Lola ready for the NWPAC meet.

After a year of driving with no column cover I decided it was time to get the cover back onto the column. Sounds so simple right? Wrong! As I have a 90-91 Prelude SI steering wheel. It sits much closer to the clock spring reel causing it to hit the column cover all over. I still have the old one from old Lola to model this one after. The steering wheel needed some work as well though. I did not like it sitting so close to the cover. I took 2 more washers and welded them onto the end of the shaft and cut slits into them to kick off the blinkers. This put the wheel at a much more acceptable height in relation to the cover. Once all of that was finished, I started the work on the column cover. Now while I still had to trim away quite a bit, it was definitely a lot less than the first iteration of the cover. I still need to work on the clock spring reel to get it to engage with the back of the steering wheel cover, but the plug is doing a decent job of rotating it for now.

Two weeks ago I started working on the intermittent wiper mod. The wiper stalk itself took quite a bit of modding for it to sit correctly and match the headlight stalk. I finally got it to sit right and actually engage the washer jets without hitting the steering wheel. I might have to get a corresponding headlight stalk, as the wiper stalk is now just slightly longer than the headlight one is.

I managed to get my S300 and spare P06 ecu mailed to Sonik, so I'm hoping to have all of this back soon and back into Lola.

I have installed the driver side lighted window switches that I got from Mark. I haven't found where I want to ground it yet, so they are still inactive. I might install the passenger side tonight, we shall see.

I think I have forgotten a few things. I'll read back through my log book and make sure I've documented all of the important stuff. I have pictures which I will get up either tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

At least someone else I know has 6 different projects going on at the same time like me. Might as well keep that door panel off to wire in the heated mirrors too lol. Pssst.... I haven’t even wired mine in yet either. It’s almost summer so oh well for now.
            Also I put the ring terminal on the negative so you can ground it straight to one of the 10mm door bolts close by.
            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
              At least someone else I know has 6 different projects going on at the same time like me. Might as well keep that door panel off to wire in the heated mirrors too lol. Pssst.... I haven’t even wired mine in yet either. It’s almost summer so oh well for now.
              Also I put the ring terminal on the negative so you can ground it straight to one of the 10mm door bolts close by.
              Where in the hell is one of the bolts close by? I was looking and didn't see anything in the remote area. I was wondering if I needed to throw a rivnut in the door or something. Or just extend the wire to somewhere....

Maybe I can find it on the passenger door.

Comment

It’s one of the window assembly bolts. Lol. It’s right by where the plugs are hanging for the window switches. Don’t make me pull my door panel off lol.

~Mark~

Comment

I found them last night. I didn't search very hard on the driver's door. I remember them being a bit lower though. I still have the OEM door covers in good shape. I try to avoid cutting them at all costs. I made a small slit and was able to slip in the ring terminal and bolt it all down. Throw a piece of tape over the cut and call it good.

The passenger door light, lights up correctly and stays lit until one of the doors is opened. I thought our windows had a timer on them, I did not realize the function was tied to the door opening. The led's and windows are powered on until a door is opened and then the windows lose all power. I'll probably ground the driver's side today as I get off work early.

Mark you did a good job, the one I got working looks nice!

Comment

Thanks! Hey are you sure you’re at the right power wire? It should be a constant with the key on. Door opened or not.

~Mark~

Comment

I meant when the key is off. They are functioning perfectly as is right now.

Comment

Alright, I've still managed to be slowly getting things done in the craziness of life. We are preparing to move I hope! We found a place that will work for our needs and we aren't buying right now (thank god)! Still getting ready to move sucks in and of itself.

News for Lola.

H22A1 Valve Cover (After 12,000 miles and more than enough oil changes, she is still looking pretty. I Seafoam the crankcase before every oil change. It should only look better each time.)

H22A1 Valve Train

H22A1 Back Together! (Now with 170+ PSI in all the cylinders again!)

Tire Scrub from Autocross (Also you can see the ARP extended wheel studs, SCCA forced me to have them to compete.)

Weather Stripping to Seal the A/C Condenser to the Radiator (Over heating problems in any weather over 85* F. Ordered a B series Civic radiator to replace the current D series Civic radiator in the car. I'm hoping once the inlet/outlet match the engine size the cooling issues will be resolved. The radiator arrives in the mail tomorrow.)

Steering Column Cover being Prepared for '91 Prelude SI Steering Wheel

1991 Prelude SI Steering Wheel 1

1991 Prelude SI Steering Wheel 2

1991 Prelude SI Steering Wheel 3

Passenger Illuminated Window Switch (Thanks again Mark!)

Driver Illuminated Window Switch (Thanks again Mark!)

Lola ready to see the road again! (Little did I know at the time she still had an overheating issue, despite my efforts to control the temps.)

Variable Intermittent Wiper (Using an A11 controller from a '96 V6 Accord. Delay is from 14 seconds to 3 seconds, so much more useful than the stock wiper! I need to get the headlight switch from a 5th gen Accord as well so the 2 stalks match in length. The 5th gen stalks are a little bit longer than the 4th gen stalks.)

I've also been plugging away at my projects on old Lola. Tonight I finally figured out the issues with my NSS wiring. This means I can now wire up the NSS in new Lola and have it start only when the clutch pedal is depressed. I'm fairly excited for this. I also recharged the A/C system in old Lola over the last 2 nights as well. I will really try to keep my updates a little more timely. Then again I keep saying that and it doesn't happen. After we move though I know things will settle down a good bit.
                        Last edited by Rilas; 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Hey Rilas, sorry to hear about your house situation; moving sucks, especially when you've been in one and you've accumulated enough stuff to fill it up. Otherwise, I like some of the things you've been doing to your car, namely the intermittent wiper change. I'll have to dig a bit on the site to see how this is done.
                          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

When you have the wipers going at higher speeds, do they automatically slow down when you come to a stop and pick back up once you get going again? That's one feature from my RSX I want to retrofit into the CB. That and the two-way high beam switch (pull for temporary flashing, push to lock them on)

Also, how are you liking the look and feel of the Ortiz cluster bezel compared to the OEM plastic? I know it's OEM, but does whatever coating they use to blend in the gauge pods make the whole thing look aftermarket against the rest of the dash?
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                              Hey Rilas, sorry to hear about your house situation; moving sucks, especially when you've been in one and you've accumulated enough stuff to fill it up. Otherwise, I like some of the things you've been doing to your car, namely the intermittent wiper change. I'll have to dig a bit on the site to see how this is done.
                              I can't even tell you how awesome it is to have intermittent wipers. Right after I completed this mod I went to Philipsburg, MT, about 80 miles one direction. It poured most of the way there and having the intermittent wipers were awesome!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              When you have the wipers going at higher speeds, do they automatically slow down when you come to a stop and pick back up once you get going again? That's one feature from my RSX I want to retrofit into the CB. That and the two-way high beam switch (pull for temporary flashing, push to lock them on)

Also, how are you liking the look and feel of the Ortiz cluster bezel compared to the OEM plastic? Does it look aftermarket against the rest of the dash?
                              I do not believe that they will slow down when I slow the car down. Then again I didn't test this as my use of it was really out on the interstate at 80 mph. It would be really cool to somehow tie the speed sensor into this as well to affect the speed. I know the newer cars did this with the radio going quiet when stopped and increasing volume once you get moving again. Very cool that someone brought the same feature to the window wipers.

I really didn't like the Ortiz gauge pod initially when I first got it. I has grown on me though. Due to it being more flat dull black than the shinier more gloss of the plastic. I've had people get in the car and not even notice that the entire center plastic doesn't quite match the rest of the plastics. The colors really aren't that far apart to be honest, just flat vs semi gloss really. A few people have commented on it, being the cleanest Accord they've ever seen in person, so it must not really be that out of place, as other people really don't notice it. I would say that it's worthwhile upgrade for the gauge pods. You can also get the pods on the A pillar or on the steering column cover, so there are options. I think eventually I will end up getting the steering column cover eventually as well. I need to monitor a few more things on Lola. I don't even notice the difference in the contrast anymore really. Only if I'm really paying attention.
                              Last edited by Rilas; 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The car is looking incredibly nice Will. You might not want to button up that column with a 5th gen combo switch just yet. I’ve got an MDX lighting combo switch mod coming. Same style stalk but with automatic light function and soon DRL also.
                                I noticed the CL carpet with the black trunk/gas plastics. It’s really not a bad mix. The more black you add to the interior, the darker the carpet will look. It’s a great choice as Black coupe carpet is a pretty scarce option. CB carpet is shit compared to the CL stuff anyways lol.
                                Also to note: the A11 controller comes from 95 V6 Accords. 96 & up is an A12 and won’t work.

~Mark~

Comment

Working...
                                X