EXT: Step by step trunk key swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Step by step trunk key swap.

To keep an operating key or same key as your car.
    I made a very simple DIY.
    Credit due to cp[mike] for the orignal. This one just has lots of pictures. <3
    Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
    FIY you only need to do this if your swap involves a 92-93 Coupe trunklid. 90-91 all / 92-93 Sedan lids use the same key housing. Just to clarify for those who haven't seen Mike's thread

This is what you'll start off (From a sedan The coupe is simple just pull the rod out)
    The sedan is a little more complicated. You have to use a flat head screwdriver to push down the pins on either side.

After that just unscrew the bolt. Then there is a notch you have to line up to take out.

No more golden bolt.

You can see the notch at the top right. A cut out of the blue metal at the base of the shaft.

Both locks taken out of the trunk. Sedan left (longer) coupe right (shorter).

Another view. Sedan left Coupe right.

Take out this pin. Flat head will pry it out quick.

Both pins taken out.

Now to take off this silver cap. (It was a challenge for me if the is any simpler way let me know)

I used these tools

First i used the flat head and pried in the square hole. No to rough just until you see a gap.

Here is the gap.

Then just push the silver cap up by the lip.

I also found it helpfull to wiggle it from time to time. To loosen the crimps.

Almost off.

This is what it will look like when it is off. Take off the spring at the end.

Then push it up from the bottom. watch out for the golden keys on either side. They will fall out.

All the parts.

Next is switching the wight adapters. its as easy as slide one out and slide one in.

Totally taken apart.

Slide the longer white adapter if switching to a sedan trunk lid. Short for coupe lid.
    Make sure the square indent here (pointing at) is lined up with the square hole at the top just above the keys.

Slide the desired key lock into the sedan(long) or the coupe(short) sleeve. Be carefull of the keys. You'll need to push them in as you go.

Put the silver cap back on. Match the Square holes and there is also a slot on the back.

Then just re-attach the white rod clips.

After that install.

There ya go now one less key on the key chain.
    Last edited by JezzWolf; 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM.

Great DIY I think this might be a little more straight forwards than Cpmikes DIY.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
      Great DIY I think this might be a little more straight forwards than Cpmikes DIY.
      It certainly helps to fill in the gaps.

FIY you only need to do this if your swap involves a 92-93 Coupe trunklid. 90-91 all / 92-93 Sedan lids use the same key housing. Just to clarify for those who haven't seen Mike's thread
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Thanks guys!

I gave cp[Mike] credit. Because credit is do!

~Accwgnguy I put your post at the top so people can see before they tear everything apart!
        Last edited by JezzWolf; 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X