Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
    Haha, there's some stuff to learn, but it's fun to know how to.
    That gray color you were talking about was the clear coat being scuffed up, he didn't go through the paint. (That's how it's supposed to look)
    The black color is under the clear coat, he was just sanding the top (or clear coat) to smooth it out (get rid of orange peel and imperfections), then polishing the 1500-2000 grit sandpaper scratches out of the clear coat.

The paint before sanding and polishing was shiny, but it had orange peel keeping it from looking like a mirror finish.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Well... finally gave in and bought a Syncrotech bearing and seal kit. Wasn't cheap with exchange rate + shipping + customs fees.
    Last edited by Raf99; 07-01-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Looks like quality parts so "cheap" is out of the question. I would likely not want to associate cheap parts with anything as mechanically precise as a transmission anyway. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

ya, now the only decision i have is to cleanup and paint the transmission? If I do this I'll want to do the block too

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          ya, now the only decision i have is to cleanup and paint the transmission? If I do this I'll want to do the block too
          Quick tip for cleaning the transmission, low odor mineral spirits!
          I used it to clean mine and it worked really well, I put it in a spray bottle and went to town with a toothbrush.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
            Quick tip for cleaning the transmission, low odor mineral spirits!
            I used it to clean mine and it worked really well, I put it in a spray bottle and went to town with a toothbrush.
            You need to visit in here more often, you are full of great advice! Where do I buy such low odor mineral spirits??

Comment

Raw aluminum gets my vote, that's what I on my 91 SE which doesn't see any rain or road salt so I went nuts cleaning up all the aluminum parts with wire wheels, grinding stones and sand paper. I think your engine bay looks phenomenal the way you've done it. But do as you will

Comment

You need to visit in here more often, you are full of great advice! Where do I buy such low odor mineral spirits??
                Haha! Glad to help.

I got a jug of it from a local Walmart.
                Here's what the jug I got looked like:

It was like $10, near the painting isle.
                It's really cool stuff cause it only faintly smells like mineral spirits.
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                  Raw aluminum gets my vote, that's what I on my 91 SE which doesn't see any rain or road salt so I went nuts cleaning up all the aluminum parts with wire wheels, grinding stones and sand paper. I think your engine bay looks phenomenal the way you've done it. But do as you will
                  Raw, like non-polished?

Ya, i got this from canadian tire.

Took the transmission fully apart today and gave it a cleaning. Ran into issues trying to remove the counter shaft bearing. This is what I used along with a torch the outer area.

So we have to take the gear teeth health into consideration. Something I never thought of before. We have the following;

1. My car, installed with a OEM H22A transmission
                  2. An OEM T2T4 transmission from japan
                  3. A spare set of MS and CS from a 93 accord (gears are grinded down bad). I took the 5th gear set from these to shave down
                  4. Synrcotech 5th gear set (same specs as the set above)

Now, my issue is while I have a new set of synchros installed all the gears are used. Determining the best gear teeth to use is not something I know how to do, and I'll have to rely on pics and google. I don't believe any of these gears are any good. .... I also realized that the T2T4 is missing a washer.

#3 is missing from the T2T4 tranny.

Last edited by Raf99; 07-01-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Soooo, the #3 in the above pic is a shim. And there are different sizes. But for OEM spec are two required at either end? Did my replacement trans from JDM not need it or is it missing it or did someone take it. Hmmmm

Anyone know ? (#3 & #4 of this pic)

Comment

New MS/CS bearings installed. And MS/CS are assembled. Just need to find torque specs...

Last edited by Raf99; 07-08-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Looks like it's coming together nicely!

Comment

Slow and steady eh. But lack of documentation is my issue now. Store sold manuals don't get into transmission shimming, but from what i could find the diff max clearance is .10mm (.004in). Well I can fit a .50 + gauge in there. So I'm pretty sure I need that shim.

I'm going to try and find manuals online that will tell me the answer to this and also order that shim.

Comment

wtf...... 12min into my jog today I heard the loudest pop from my lower calf muscle and the next step was not a pleasant one. Took me 20min to limp home, that was painful. .... I heard/felt this pop over my music/headphones, it was brutal..

Dare say we won't be jogging for 4-6 weeks...

Comment

wtf...... 12min into my jog today I heard the loudest pop from my lower calf muscle and the next step was not a pleasant one. Took me 20min to limp home, that was painful. .... I heard/felt this pop over my music/headphones, it was brutal..

Dare say we won't be jogging for 4-6 weeks...
                              That's insane! Do you know what popped?

Hope you feel better dude!

Edit: I looked that up, torn calf muscle? Oh God that sounds terrible.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Oh man... that's not good. Go easy on it and get it checked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X