X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you had any problems w/ leaking??
    Nighthawk Black Pearl ES1

Comment

Do you think it'd be feasible to use a heat gun to soften the sealant. I really don't want to put this in my oven, especially since its a gas oven.

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
        Do you think it'd be feasible to use a heat gun to soften the sealant. I really don't want to put this in my oven, especially since its a gas oven.
        Yes, you could use a heat gun. But I'd just go to buddy's house who has an electric oven.

By the way, when you pull the lens off, be careful not to let the adhesive goo get on the reflective lens surfaces. It's not that easy to clean off if you do, and you'll probably end up putting little microscratches in the reflector surface as you clean it.

Comment

Rats, everyone around here has gas ovens (and I doubt anyone would let me throw a headlight in the oven either

Comment

you cant use gas ovens?
            You have been defeated by a car with child locks, how embarassing...

"I noticed my f22 felt "healthier" until it blew up." <Myk>

Comment

Here's an update as of November 6th, 2004.

No leakage problems so far. Visibility is still good and completely acceptable lighting.

I used an electric oven. Using a gas oven is up to the DIYers discretion. I reccommend using an electric oven. I would be afraid of 'hot spots' in a gas oven.

As far as masking, I only masked off the 'curved' part of the reflector. The center reflector around the low beam bulb I painted as well. Everything else, including the divider piece, I painted- including the flat top and bottom pieces.
              Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
              2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
              2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
              2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Well, I did this project last night and let me tell you... First off, taking off the bumper on my 1990 was a real pain in the ass. The clips were all worn and could not be taken out so I had to break em all, the ones under the headlights were especially shitty. Then when I was heating up the first light in my gas oven, I was kinda scared to leave it for more than 10 mins so I took it out, tried to pry it and guess what, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK about 5 times... It didn't go thru inside th eheadlight but it did leave cracks, I put it in the oven for 10 more mins and then it came apart like butter, same with second light which I didn't crack =). Masking sucked, my neck hurt after I was done with one light. Gave them 3 coats of low gloss black engine paint and put a ton of clear silicone to seal em up. Just finished putting everythngi back on and it looks SWEET AS HELL... Definetly worth it! THanks for the DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate
                  Here's an update as of November 6th, 2004.

No leakage problems so far. Visibility is still good and completely acceptable lighting.

I used an electric oven. Using a gas oven is up to the DIYers discretion. I reccommend using an electric oven. I would be afraid of 'hot spots' in a gas oven.

As far as masking, I only masked off the 'curved' part of the reflector. The center reflector around the low beam bulb I painted as well. Everything else, including the divider piece, I painted- including the flat top and bottom pieces.
                  Ah, thanks for adding that. I meant to ask if you painted the flat top surface as well. I think I'll be doing this regardless of if I go HID or not.

Comment

Yeah paint the top too, all you need is the rear reflectors... once you take off the lens you will see what we are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex EX
                      Yeah paint the top too, all you need is the rear reflectors... once you take off the lens you will see what we are talking about.
                      I only painted the top flat sections, the bottom flat sections, and the cover for the low beam bulb.

Here are the pics -

and a scary pic of the car with the front end ghetto-fied -

Comment

Lookin' good!

Comment

Awesome. I need to do this asap!

Comment

i just did it. currently waiting for the paint to dry. its lookin pretty good right now! you were right. the bumper? cake. the masking? pain in the ASS. i found that i needed to leave the light in my oven for about 18 minutes at 225. trial and error. But at 18 minutes the glue will come apart fairly easy. great little one day project!

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

oh yea almost forgot. great time to clean turn signals and the front bumper. i cleaned every little space i could. looks nice now :-D Mmmm Shiny....

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

Originally posted by Alex EX
                                Well, I did this project last night and let me tell you... First off, taking off the bumper on my 1990 was a real pain in the ass. The clips were all worn and could not be taken out so I had to break em all, the ones under the headlights were especially shitty. Then when I was heating up the first light in my gas oven, I was kinda scared to leave it for more than 10 mins so I took it out, tried to pry it and guess what, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK about 5 times... It didn't go thru inside th eheadlight but it did leave cracks, I put it in the oven for 10 more mins and then it came apart like butter, same with second light which I didn't crack =). Masking sucked, my neck hurt after I was done with one light. Gave them 3 coats of low gloss black engine paint and put a ton of clear silicone to seal em up. Just finished putting everythngi back on and it looks SWEET AS HELL... Definetly worth it! THanks for the DIY.
                                Oh man...you know you didn't have to do all that to get the bumper off? Two screws on per wheel well up front, two bolts behind each bumper light and then two bolts in the engine bay, and the whole front bumper, support and all will come off.

Comment

Working...
                                X