Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: Re-wiring Hood latch Cable (inside car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Re-wiring Hood latch Cable (inside car)

After getting my car broken into and seeing how easy it was to get in by pulling on the hood cable under the fender liner I decided to re-wire this so it goes from the lever, threw the firewall, around the engine pay to the hood latch.

Tools Needed
    10mm socket
    Wrench/ Extender.
    Phillips Screw Driver

1. First You will need to remove the front grill. There is I belive 5 screws holding it in place. After taking those screwes off you will need to push the grill forward so it can pop out of the clips. Once grill is off proceed to step 2.

2. Next you will need to take the 3 10mm bolts off the hood latch. Once those bolts are taken off the hood latch should be free from the car. This is where you take off the end of the cable out of the unit. Once wire is out continue to step 3.

3. Then you will need to get into the car take pop off the plastic peice around the hood latch unit on the drivers side as pictured below. Once that is off you will see 2 10mm bolts holding that to the ride. Once those are off you will need to take this end of the wire out of the housing it's in.

Now both ends of the cable should be free and not connected to anything.

4. This is the tricky part. You will need to reach under the fender lining and grab the hood cable. You will need to pull it all the way through. There are clips on the support frame that are holding it in. Just push them down and they will come out. Or just keep yanking on it. Once you have the wire all the way out from the fender you will need to lift up the wheel well lining and follow the wire to where it goes into the car. You will need to remove the grommet looking thing as pictured below.

Once this peice is gone you will then need to proceed to step 5.

5. Next you will get back into the car and pull that wire in to the inside of the car. You should be able to get the whole wire out like the picture below.

You just accomplished removing your hood latch wire. Drink a beer.

Re-installing the wire the new way..

1. Go to the firewall from the outside of the car and look for the grommet that's pictured. Cut a small hole in this to feed the wire thru to get inside the car. Like so...

2. Once you have about a foot and a half of the cable stop. This is where your going to put the cable around the clutch area to the side of the fuse box as pictured below. In the car connect the cable to the hood latch inside the car. Then use the 2 10mm bolts and tighten them.

Go outside the car and take the cable and try to tuck/hide it around everything to make it a clean install/look. Like picured.

Once you get it back to the front of the car connect it back to the hood latch and bolt that up using the 3 10mm bolts. Then install the grill the same way you took it off. Before putting grill on test everything to make sure the hood opens and closes and your good to go.

You have offically rewired your hood latch cable through your engine bay. Feel good about what you did to prevent theives from stealing your shit.

Yes I rushed and did a bad install. From them doing it and the age of the cable it's been broken but I am ordering a new cable and I will make sure everything is right then!

Thank you for reading this. Pm me any info you need etc

-Wayne
    Last edited by Maple50175; 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM.

good Diy Wayne

Comment

this is a very useful diy ima do it this weekend

RIP lilblue

Comment

i put mine through the frame rail. only way they can pop my hood is by cutting thru sheet metal

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thank for the info... you jump the gun on me....LOL
          Accord Of The Month January 09
          Accord Of The Year 09

My 2 Babys
          BMW TECH FOR 15 YEARS

Comment

this is what imma do on this weekend.. nice DIY

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

i tried doing mine thru this existing grommet
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

No prob guys.

Yeah mike if i had the fender off and had room id do it that way.. Prob when I get a new cable ill do that.

But I do have a surprise this weekend hehehe

Comment

nice write up man
                  My Ride17.34 @ 78mph with 260k on her

Comment

no prob, I may have another one today.... but idk what to DIY on..

Hmm keep looking

Comment

Good job man, props....
                      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                        i put mine through the frame rail. only way they can pop my hood is by cutting thru sheet metal
                        What if they just break the window and open the hood simply from inside the car

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seigneur_rayden
                          What if they just break the window and open the hood simply from inside the car
                          then the alarm goes off

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

or you have a backup battery... which I wanna seea DIY on.

Comment

Isnt that what removable steering wheels are for...? i mean i dunno if id get one but if you have to--you have to...right?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X