17x9 wheel fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17x9 wheel fitment

Has anyone fit 17x9 wheels on their cb? What did it take to get them to fit, or is it even possible? Rolling out the inside of the fenders is not out of the question for me. If you could provide some pics, that would be great, thanks.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
    Has anyone fit 17x9 wheels on their cb? What did it take to get them to fit, or is it even possible? Rolling out the inside of the fenders is not out of the question for me. If you could provide some pics, that would be great, thanks.
    Thats whats im trying to do. I wanted 17x8, but i think its mostly u have to think about is the width of the tire. Discount tire said u can mount a 235. Thats what im going to put on.

Members Ride thread

Comment

i really doubt you can fit the wheel itself without much camber and a huge drop to make it look good. off set is everything as well so take that into consideration before dropping the money on wheels.

you can do anything with the time and money but to make it look good is another thing.

and no way a 235 tire will fit a cb without rubbing to hell. 225 maybe
      Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7 View Post
        i really doubt you can fit the wheel itself without much camber and a huge drop to make it look good. off set is everything as well so take that into consideration before dropping the money on wheels.

you can do anything with the time and money but to make it look good is another thing.

and no way a 235 tire will fit a cb without rubbing to hell. 225 maybe
        Go to discount tire and see for yourself. Go online to discounttire.com and put in our car and click on plus sizes.They do fit. I also went to tire kingdom and they said it will fit. I have coilover suspension so my springs are stiff. So there is no rubbing on the fender.
        Unless u have your car lowered to hell then they wont fit.

Members Ride thread

Comment

its going to rub on the inner body when you make full turns. and still will look like shit

i believe a member on here ran some for his auto cross event , so they will fit, but most likely will rub
          Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7 View Post
            its going to rub on the inner body when you make full turns. and still will look like shit

i believe a member on here ran some for his auto cross event , so they will fit, but most likely will rub
            Well i had 215/45/17 tires and they rubbed. Untill i switch to a coilover system that made it stiffer. Now i dont rub at all. ITs all how u got your suspension setup.

Members Ride thread

Comment

My car is pretty low and I really don't want to use an undersized tire. I guess I'll have to just fit 7.5 or 8" wide. I'm doing this for the purpose of better grip, not a VIP kind of thing, so rubbing is something I cannot have. I just want to fit the widest wheel I can without losing integrity or performance, or having more than a little bit of camber.

Comment

My car is pretty low and I really don't want to use an undersized tire. I guess I'll have to just fit 7.5 or 8" wide. I'm doing this for the purpose of better grip, not a VIP kind of thing, so rubbing is something I cannot have. I just want to fit the widest wheel I can without losing integrity or performance, or having more than a little bit of camber.
                Yeah thats what im trying to put on my car, I have a turbo car and traction is a bitch, so im trying to put the widers tire i can get. IM in the same boat u in.

Members Ride thread

Comment

Quoted from www.vancouveraccords.com:

Originally posted by ekoo
                  18x9.5J +17 w/ low disc
                  215/35/18

definetly do-able with some extreme fender pulling/rolling
                  +22 or +24 with less rolling......possible just folding in the lip and it'll work

There's an example of an extreme case for you. So with your case, they SHOULD fit, provided that the wheels have a proper offset and you run the proper tire size.

Originally posted by jm991700 View Post
                  Thats whats im trying to do. I wanted 17x8, but i think its mostly u have to think about is the width of the tire. Discount tire said u can mount a 235. Thats what im going to put on.
                  Mount a 235 series tires on a 9" wheel, or on our cars? You can mount a 235 series tires on a 9" wide wheel no problem, but whether or not it would fit our cars is another story, ESPECIALLY if the car is lowered to a point where it looks good*..By that I mean 1 finger gap (or less) between fender and tires.

Originally posted by jm991700 View Post
                  Well i had 215/45/17 tires and they rubbed. Untill i switch to a coilover system that made it stiffer. Now i dont rub at all. ITs all how u got your suspension setup.
                  Just because you have stiff springs doesn't mean the tires won't rub. How stiff your suspension is doesn't determine whether or not a 235 series tires mounted on 17x9" wheels will rub or not...

(Looking at your MR thread, you stated that you have Tein springs with Tokico shocks..If you say you have coilovers then I assume you've upgraded..But again that's not the problem.)

You also stated that you have camber kit. THAT could be a problem, especially if you lower your car to a point where it looks good*...And when you stated that your setup doesn't rub anymore, what are the specs of the wheels? Width? Offset? Those have a lot more influence than how stiff your suspension is

So what are the factors that will determine whether tires will rub on your fenders or not you may ask? Here are some:
                  - Ride height
                  - Wheel offset (As Jesus stated above)
                  - Camber setup

Looking at the three things above and a set of 17x9" wheels....
                  If your car has a stock ride height, then you can pretty much throw any wheel you want..The only thing you have to consider is whether or not it will rub on the inside, especially with the knuckles...But that's easy, as long as the wheels don't have super crazy high offset, then you should be fine...Again, this scenario is for cars with stock ride height..

If your car is lowered to a point where it looks good*, then you gotta start considering on whether or not the outer side wall of the tires will rub against the fender or not, as well as the inner side wall of the tires rubbing against the inner fender...Having NO camber kit helps prevent rubbing on the outer side..The less negative the camber is, the more you have to start worrying about rubbing on the outer side.

Rubbing on the inner side is determined by tire width and wheel offset. (Still assuming that the car is lowered to a point where it looks good* and 17x9" wheels..) The lower the offset, the less chance of the inner side rubbing against the inner fender. But that also means you have to worry even more about the outer side rubbing against the fenders..

So the question is, would 17x9" wheels fit on your car? That'll depend on the offset of the wheels, and what tire size you will be running. (Still assuming that the car is lowered to a point where it looks good*) You said you don't want to run undersized tires. Define "undersized"...215 series should provide more than adequate grip, especially if the tires are designed for maximum grip (A048, RE-01R, Z1 Star Spec, etc..) Just because you're mounting them on a 9" wide wheel doesn't mean they're undersized. Slightly stretched is not a bad thing, and not to mention it will provide more clearance for you to fit those 9" wide wheels. But then again if your car's sole purpose is to catch traction on launch for drag racing purposes, this would be a different story. My theory is based on a balanced all-around handling, with straight line runs and off-the-line launches being the very last thing in my mind at the moment.

You stated that rubbing is something that you cannot have, and you want the widest wheel you can without losing performance, or having more than a little bit of camber. So these are my opinions:
                  - Check the offset on these 17x9" wheels that you have your eyes set on at the moment.
                  - Above are pictures of 18x9.5" ET+17 w/ 215/35/18 tires mounted on a CB7. So anything less aggressive than those specs will technically fit just fine.
                  - IF offset allows, and you want to run these 17x9" wheels without adding more negative camber and/or rubbing while keeping the same ride height, then my suggestion would be to run a set of 215/45/17 or even 215/40/17 tires...Then you should be okay...Again though, IF offset allows. and IF your car is built and set-up with overall balanced traction in mind, and not just launch traction for those straight line runs.

Hope that helps!

Ronald
                  Last edited by Ronald_Type-R; 12-17-2008, 04:51 AM.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

I have seen that size(width) only on cars such as M3's, G35, 350Z, Skyline, etc. mostly cars with rear traction and engines above 4 cyl. I might be wrong, they were designed for the size. 17x8 would be IMO too much.

Jesus and Ronald know what they're talking about, trust me.
                    But is your itch and if you feel the need to scratch it , go for it....
                    JDM Parts for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                      Quoted from www.vancouveraccords.com:

There's an example of an extreme case for you. So with your case, they SHOULD fit, provided that the wheels have a proper offset and you run the proper tire size.

Mount a 235 series tires on a 9" wheel, or on our cars? You can mount a 235 series tires on a 9" wide wheel no problem, but whether or not it would fit our cars is another story, ESPECIALLY if the car is lowered to a point where it looks good*..By that I mean 1 finger gap (or less) between fender and tires.

Just because you have stiff springs doesn't mean the tires won't rub. How stiff your suspension is doesn't determine whether or not a 235 series tires mounted on 17x9" wheels will rub or not...

(Looking at your MR thread, you stated that you have Tein springs with Tokico shocks..If you say you have coilovers then I assume you've upgraded..But again that's not the problem.)

You also stated that you have camber kit. THAT could be a problem, especially if you lower your car to a point where it looks good*...And when you stated that your setup doesn't rub anymore, what are the specs of the wheels? Width? Offset? Those have a lot more influence than how stiff your suspension is

So what are the factors that will determine whether tires will rub on your fenders or not you may ask? Here are some:
                      - Ride height
                      - Wheel offset (As Jesus stated above)
                      - Camber setup

Looking at the three things above and a set of 17x9" wheels....
                      If your car has a stock ride height, then you can pretty much throw any wheel you want..The only thing you have to consider is whether or not it will rub on the inside, especially with the knuckles...But that's easy, as long as the wheels don't have super crazy high offset, then you should be fine...Again, this scenario is for cars with stock ride height..

If your car is lowered to a point where it looks good*, then you gotta start considering on whether or not the outer side wall of the tires will rub against the fender or not, as well as the inner side wall of the tires rubbing against the inner fender...Having NO camber kit helps prevent rubbing on the outer side..The less negative the camber is, the more you have to start worrying about rubbing on the outer side.

Rubbing on the inner side is determined by tire width and wheel offset. (Still assuming that the car is lowered to a point where it looks good* and 17x9" wheels..) The lower the offset, the less chance of the inner side rubbing against the inner fender. But that also means you have to worry even more about the outer side rubbing against the fenders..

So the question is, would 17x9" wheels fit on your car? That'll depend on the offset of the wheels, and what tire size you will be running. (Still assuming that the car is lowered to a point where it looks good*) You said you don't want to run undersized tires. Define "undersized"...215 series should provide more than adequate grip, especially if the tires are designed for maximum grip (A048, RE-01R, Z1 Star Spec, etc..) Just because you're mounting them on a 9" wide wheel doesn't mean they're undersized. Slightly stretched is not a bad thing, and not to mention it will provide more clearance for you to fit those 9" wide wheels. But then again if your car's sole purpose is to catch traction on launch for drag racing purposes, this would be a different story. My theory is based on a balanced all-around handling, with straight line runs and off-the-line launches being the very last thing in my mind at the moment.

You stated that rubbing is something that you cannot have, and you want the widest wheel you can without losing performance, or having more than a little bit of camber. So these are my opinions:
                      - Check the offset on these 17x9" wheels that you have your eyes set on at the moment.
                      - Above are pictures of 18x9.5" ET+17 w/ 215/35/18 tires mounted on a CB7. So anything less aggressive than those specs will technically fit just fine.
                      - IF offset allows, and you want to run these 17x9" wheels without adding more negative camber and/or rubbing while keeping the same ride height, then my suggestion would be to run a set of 215/45/17 or even 215/40/17 tires...Then you should be okay...Again though, IF offset allows. and IF your car is built and set-up with overall balanced traction in mind, and not just launch traction for those straight line runs.

Hope that helps!

Ronald
                      offset 40mm
                      215/45/17 tires

I said that a 235 tire would fit, i never said anything about the rim width. I wouldnt put a 17X9 anyway. the most i would do is 17X8. And plus i didnt just say they would fit. I did research by going to tire and rim shops. And the internet. Like i said, if u go to discount tire.com, a 235/40/17 tire will fit. And if discount tire said it will fit, trust me, they did the research far as if there would be problems on customers cars.
                      But like i said, i was talking about 235 tires, i never said anything about the tim width.

Plus the wider the rim the wider the tire will be. Same tire size, two different rims. The widest rim would make the tire wider.
                      Heres a link to explain what im talking about.
                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...#rimwidthrange
                      Last edited by jm991700; 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM.

Members Ride thread

Comment

My car now has 16x7s, +40 offset... never rub. I wouldnt go wider than 8" on our cars

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The wheels I was looking at are 17x9 +25, so based on what Ronald said, they should technically fit. How much camber I would have to run and tire size is what I would have to mess with. I am just exploring the possibility of such a wide wheel to get good traction in an autocross situation, which is why I can't have any rubbing, and I also can't have so much camber that it takes away from performance.

Comment

my questions have never been answered and i also want a wide wheel
                            can you do a +0-30 with a 15 or 16x8 wheel?
                            ive read threw ever offset and wheel post there is on the subject

Comment

The wheels I was looking at are 17x9 +25, so based on what Ronald said, they should technically fit. How much camber I would have to run and tire size is what I would have to mess with. I am just exploring the possibility of such a wide wheel to get good traction in an autocross situation, which is why I can't have any rubbing, and I also can't have so much camber that it takes away from performance.
                              x2. i would like to know the same as well.
                              1992 H22A4 Coupe - R.I.P.

Bought from: slammed4thgen. new_beginnings. crzy.tuning. f20aaccordturbo. hondaguy1212. cb4_honda. fatboy1185. wed3k.
                              _____________H22A4CB7. minorreparations. PR CB7. plee3. Bisimoto Engineering.

Sold to: LadyG. sulimed. choppacity. choogee3.

Comment

Working...
                              X