Focus st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    FBO power is your problem with the Fiesta?! Look at your signature photos!

And what does "no ass" mean, lol. Torque? That's what mods are for. Give me lb-ft in the high 200s in something that small and I'd be in heaven. Or do you mean physically, as in bumper overhang? 'Cause I love that, too. I've always liked that about the Mini as well. Adds to the nimble rally car-like look, imo.

yea i want something quick when its modded. not a slow turd. but i also dont want a go cart. my 9g fits everything for me. and its stock for now.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Ultimately, it all comes down to what you can find in your price range, and what makes you happiest behind the wheel. Slow, potentially unreliable, etc... doesn’t matter in the end. It’s all about what’s most fun for you to own. My CB7 was no faster than a Fiesta ST. Possibly slower. My Miata is probably slower than a CB7 with bolt-ons. Those two cars are hands down the most fun cars I’ve driven.
      My Cadillac, despite having 400+hp, is at least third. Maybe fourth (behind my Fit).

Just ask yourself what you truly want. Ask what price you’re willing to pay for it (initially, and in upkeep and repairs.) Then find the car that beat fits your requirements. Honestly, as long as you’re careful not to get one that was seriously abused, you really can’t go terribly wrong with any of the cars being discussed. Take them all out for a spin.
      I want the Focus if I get one. FMIC, intake, exhaust, turbosmart BPV, tune & drive. If I want WAY too much power for a FWD hatch, i can always swap to a
      GT28.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
        yea i want something quick when its modded. not a slow turd. but i also dont want a go cart. my 9g fits everything for me. and its stock for now.
        Ok, it's just the size that isn't your taste. I was confused.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ok, it's just the size that isn't your taste. I was confused.
          but its not only that lol. look at fbo videos on youtube. those shits run like mid 15 stock. nah fam.
          COUPE K24

Comment

Well yeah that tiny turbo is putting out like 20psi stock. Which is at its limits pretty much. Full bolt ons would just make it sound cooler. The K03 has a little room for growth I think.

I just watched one of a Fiesta with an intake, catless down pipe, Cobb FMIC/charge pipes, 93 octane map, and exhaust put down 197..

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
              but its not only that lol. look at fbo videos on youtube. those shits run like mid 15 stock. nah fam.
              But in the same post you were ragging on the Fiesta for FBO power numbers, you gave your theoretical Focus a turbo upgrade. What kind of comparison is that? The off the shelf bolt-on 'big turbo' kits for the Fiesta put the whp in the 300s. You've got a supercharger sticking out of the hood of one of your cars, and a frankly pointless K-swap in another. That says you'd be willing to piece together your own turbo setup to make even more power regardless of the chassis.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

But in the same post you were ragging on the Fiesta for FBO power numbers, you gave your theoretical Focus a turbo upgrade. What kind of comparison is that? The off the shelf bolt-on 'big turbo' kits for the Fiesta put the whp in the 300s. You've got a supercharger sticking out of the hood of one of your cars, and a frankly pointless K-swap in another. That says you'd be willing to piece together your own turbo setup to make even more power regardless of the chassis.
                coming from a guy that owns a base rsx im not gonna argue anymore. it seems you like slow shit so im done. the fiesta is a waste of money and if you drove both back to back youll see just how much more room and power the focus has. the fiesta needs a turbo upgrade. not the focus. a buddy had a fbo fiesta and it put down like 215/220whp and 300 wtq. it also peaked like 15psi or something at 3-4k rpm and by redline was back down to 9-10 LOL.

the focus is a MUCH better choice every way possible. i rest my case. the new body civic si is the best choice out of all if you want a new car that can haul ass and get 40mpg.

to OP: get whatever you want. the focus is a good car, i just couldnt bring myself to buy one. i dont really like hatches that much and i dont do 4 doors lol. other that than, it was super tempting.
                Last edited by '93CB7Ex; 06-17-2018, 10:51 AM.
                COUPE K24

Comment

I was just trying to understand why you went so far as to call the Fiesta a "joke," when the car got pretty unanimously excellent reviews, and then make unfair comparisons. But if all you care about is drag racing braggadocio in a bolt-on kit, it makes sense. So by all means, oranges to grapefruits. However (since you "lol'd" at a 15 second 1/4), note that stock vs stock, there's only about a .3 sec difference in their quarter miles. "Lol"

And yes, having immediate access to real roads has made me more interested in handling than going fast in a straight line, so I wasn't fussed about looking for a car with a whole 40 more bhp and 1 more lb-ft, all at the top end where I don't need it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The way I see it, the Fiesta is Ford’s answer to the Honda Fit. My 117hp Fit was a blast to drive, despite being slow as balls. Now, a Fit with 200hp would be a riot. It wouldn’t win any drag races against even modest true sports cars (aside from maybe the Miata and BRZ/86), but the overall experience is pretty sweet.

Not putting down anything else, or saying that the Focus or Civic wouldn’t possibly be better choices... but the Fiesta ST has a lot to offer.

And honestly, every car discussed in this conversation is slow compared to relatively inexpensive 400+hp Mustang/Camaro/Challenger options on the market. There is ALWAYS something faster.

And don’t forget, most of us were making “big plans” for a 200hp h22 or turbo f22 in a 2800lb cb7... which is basically what you get in a Fiesta ST.

Comment

^ Those last couple points are why I don't understand people that argue in favor of power and quarter mile times on a Honda forum. Especially when it comes to bolt-on performance. If you specifically want a drag racer, get something with V8 displacement and RWD that can hook. You get a Honda (or something in this class) because you want something well-rounded at a usable power level. What exactly are you going to do on the street with more than 200hp when that's already enough to get way above the speed limit, and take you beyond the cornering limits of any DOT tire?
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-18-2018, 12:10 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yeah I feel the Focus would be an excellent middle of the spectrum option. It’s quick and handles pretty well from what I gather. The styling isn’t over the top, and it fits my needs & wants. I like hatchbacks, turbos, and 30mpg. It makes way more sense than an ft86. More room, faster, and better combined mpg. Only downside is that it’s wrong wheel drive, but whatever.

I do appreciate what the Fiesta is, but the Focus just has a nicer ass. The race red and the orangeishyellow look really good too.

The Fiestas come in the ricer Green which I find kinda funny.

Comment

What are your feelings towards the 350Z? Same as the 86 with its coupe impracticalities? One of the later HR models with low miles can be had in your budget. I'm even seeing Nismos at around 19-20k if you can afford to stretch it a bit.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The obsession with HP in open diff FWD cars is a little lolzy....

I'm gonna come from left field and suggest a used GTI with the PP. Compared to the FoST, same power + LSD. Compared to the Civic, more power + understressed engine + LSD and non-retina searing looks. Crazy small but still roomy and very practical. Actually responds to bolt ons. More refined than pretty much anything suggested as well. Only downside, maybe a little *too* refined but that's easy to remedy. I think they also come with weak clutches stock.

Other idea is the WRX.

My main gripe with the FoST is that its ancient. I'd only look at used ones at this point. They will be the better value.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I've owned a 2014 Focus ST since new. I'm at 70k miles now.

It has been a fantastic car with zero issues. My car is barely modified with only an aftermarket filter + Stratified 93/E30 tune.

I put down 260awhp and 340wtq on just a tune. The car is great fun and handles better than any car I've driven before.

It's still an open diff car with a mediocre torque vectoring systems that utilizes the brakes to mitigate torque steer and wheels spin. Ultimately, with this much torque, it should've come with an LSD from the factory.

The MK7 GTI is also an excellent car, but if you look at any used examples and review the Carfax, almost ALL of them have some sort of electrical or mechanical issue. Everytime I consider a GTI, I get scared away by spotty reliability. Consumer Reports considered it one of the worst used car buys.

The Focus ST, on the other hand, has a lower entry price, better seats, a better reliability record, and the MK3.5 (in my opinion) looks sharper with more usable storage space.

Unlike the GTI, the Focus ST has defeatable traction and stability control which is why you see the ST family so often at autocross and track events compared to the GTI.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've still purchased the ST. It's great value for money since you can get amazing deals on them and it's a really well designed car. Just don't expect too much from the stock turbo lol
                              14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                                I was waiting for you to chime in! I’m not expecting huge power, just a good amount to make it fun to daily.

What transmission issues are there?

ALLDATA tsb’s are mostly interior related. Everything else seems to be related to the data wire splice and the rear mount failing. The only engine tsb I’m seeing is for the water pump weep chamber getting stained from vapor.

Some harness rubbing for the power steering & battery harness as well.

Noted on the fiesta.

Edit: metra makes a dash kit for the Focus, so I looked into that due to the MFT being not so great. I figure a nice pioneer with a maestro data interface would be better suited. It’ll show everything through the radio screen that can be pulled from the on board diagnostics.
                                MFT is perfectly fine. It's a little laggy compared to an iPhone and most NEW infotainment systems, but it's comparable to Honda's system in the Civic and CRV. The Sync3 system is probably one of the best in the business, but it's purely touchscreen if you're ok with that.

The Focus ST is pretty stout and mostly fault free. It's a well built car that will easily survive an abusive 100k+ miles.
                                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                                X