No announcement yet.

Focus st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any FiST/FoST experience, but I did test drive the new Si...I don't like it as an initial impression. It needs more personality.

It handles well! Scared my salesperson a bit lol.
    It is relatively slow stock and feels like a turbocharged 4 (because it is...). I suppose if I drove angrily it would be a bit better. Plus, I'm used to naturally aspirated cars so it may be something I would have to grow into. It feels like a good highway car, keep it in 3rd gear and it zips. I may or may not be comparing it to a V6 Accord.

It is very refined, quiet, everything feels solid...I mean it's not virgin leather upholstered everything, but it's not 90's GM either.

I need to try a tuned one.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
      MFT is perfectly fine. It's a little laggy compared to an iPhone and most NEW infotainment systems, but it's comparable to Honda's system in the Civic and CRV. The Sync3 system is probably one of the best in the business, but it's purely touchscreen if you're ok with that.

The Focus ST is pretty stout and mostly fault free. It's a well built car that will easily survive an abusive 100k+ miles.
      Thank you. I just found a grey 2016 with 26k at a Chrysler dealer for 16k. I’m going to try and get the wife to come look at it with me tomorrow or Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
        I've owned a 2014 Focus ST since new. I'm at 70k miles now.

It has been a fantastic car with zero issues. My car is barely modified with only an aftermarket filter + Stratified 93/E30 tune.

I put down 260awhp and 340wtq on just a tune. The car is great fun and handles better than any car I've driven before.

It's still an open diff car with a mediocre torque vectoring systems that utilizes the brakes to mitigate torque steer and wheels spin. Ultimately, with this much torque, it should've come with an LSD from the factory.

The MK7 GTI is also an excellent car, but if you look at any used examples and review the Carfax, almost ALL of them have some sort of electrical or mechanical issue. Everytime I consider a GTI, I get scared away by spotty reliability. Consumer Reports considered it one of the worst used car buys.

The Focus ST, on the other hand, has a lower entry price, better seats, a better reliability record, and the MK3.5 (in my opinion) looks sharper with more usable storage space.

Unlike the GTI, the Focus ST has defeatable traction and stability control which is why you see the ST family so often at autocross and track events compared to the GTI.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've still purchased the ST. It's great value for money since you can get amazing deals on them and it's a really well designed car. Just don't expect too much from the stock turbo lol

I will never own another VW newer than 1985 ever again. And even then, it’ll ONLY be a Scirocco or Rabbit truck.

The VW’s that come into work are all the same type of weird electrical work or cooling system/engine failure shit.

Same goes for GM stuff. Had a V6 CTS come in cause the AC controls stopped working. Cause was an aftermarket radio. Had to slave the aftermarket radio to the stock one. Then the AC controls worked, but the blower had a mind of its own, and the display flickered. Had to make a whole new piggy back harness cause it was a data system looped from the AC to the radio.

Married that fucking car for a week.. What I’m trying to is that I’m glad it’s a stout car with not too many weird issues. Cause forget that bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
          its mostly clutch issues. every now and then youll see some serious damage to the trans. it usually varies too. if you want a fun daily, itll be cool. but you have to spend a good bit on a new one to get recaros,carbon fiber shit inside. i wouldnt have that carbon fiber though. it looks super cheesy to me lol. the st3 trim is like high 20's on the sticker. plus, resale is pretty terrible for those if you buy them new. ive seen used st3 for under 20k already with low miles lol. the MFT isnt a bad system when it works. but the module that runs it is soooooo finicky and if it goes out and the screen is black its like 1k to replace it when its out of warranty.

FBO is like 205whp. that 1.6 is nothing to write home about. its a nimble little car, but it has NO ass and cant do much with it. if someone swapped the 1.6 for a 2.0, thats a different story. talk about a rocket.

i still stand on the accord v6. i love mine.

also, the new si is a serious competitor. fbo/turbo upgrade is 400whp no problem. new si with a tune would be even/pull on my 6/6 accord. they are kinda slow stock, but if i bought one, id have ktuner on side by and flash it in the parking lot before i took it home lolol.

edit: also, most st owners that come in for service, are worse than mustang owners. nit pick everything on a car thats supposed to be cheap. -_-
          The open diff isn't too much of an issue on this car unless you are really launching the shit out of it. It corners pretty flat and had relatively wide tires, so it isn't bad in corners (especially with the linear nature of the V6). BUUUUUTTTT (and it is a HUGE but) the brakes BLOW. I can't believe that this Accord V6 was over a second faster in the 1/4 mile with nearly 10MPH of extra trap speed and 350 more lbs than my 2009 Si, but it has SMALLER brakes. WTF is up with that?

Also, the Accord V6 6MT is a really fun car, but not in a tossable, Si or ST sort of way.

As for the Si, I thought the car was great, except for the turd of an engine. Compare it to the 2.0T in the Accord (the engine that SHOULD have been in the Si, and you will see what I mean). It really sucks balls when it is hot out. Won't really hit boost until around 3-3.5K, done pulling by about 5.5K and it slams into the rev limit at an oh-so-sporty 6500RPM. Doesn't make particularly good power, doesn't make particularly good torque, doesn't sound good, doesn't feel good and NEVER feels eager and energetic. Great CR-V engine, absolutely shitty Si engine.

As for 400HP, LOL. You can slap a tune on the 2.0T and be there. Honda really screwed the pooch on that one. I thought about trading for a new Accord 2.0T Sport, but I can't get the features I want. The Touring has the features, but not the color I like or the optional MT... So, I'll keep my V6 (*shucks*).

I actually like the ST and always have. Seems to have quite a bit of headroom in it, looks cool, can sound good pretty easily, handles pretty well and is reasonably useful. I also really like it in the metallic yellow color.

GTI is a nice car, but I don't think I would every NOT lease one and keep it under warranty 100% of the time.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

If it wasn’t for the ctr, the Si would’ve gotten the 2.0t. Honda couldn’t risk putting that engine, even in a detuned state, into a significantly cheaper car. The ctr isn’t exactly flying off showroom floors as it is. Nobody would buy one if they could just put an extra $1500 into an Si that cost $8000 less and get a rough approximation of a ctr.

How similar are the Focus ST and RS engines?

Comment

The RS has a 2.3L and the ST is a 2.0. ST has a k03, and the RS has a Honeywell GT22. RS makes 350awhp/350tq.

Apparently the RS came from the factory with a faulty head gasket. Sounds like turbo AWD theme to me.

Comment

I heard the RSs were having problems with poor head castings, and some owners were having them crack.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  If it wasn’t for the ctr, the Si would’ve gotten the 2.0t. Honda couldn’t risk putting that engine, even in a detuned state, into a significantly cheaper car. The ctr isn’t exactly flying off showroom floors as it is. Nobody would buy one if they could just put an extra $1500 into an Si that cost $8000 less and get a rough approximation of a ctr.

There are some very minor similarities, but the RS is an open deck block compared the closed deck of the ST.

The pistons of the RS are also stouter with more oil passages for better cooling. The rods are also a bit thicker than the ST.

The ST's ultimate weak point comes with the pistons, and specifically the ringlands which are susceptible to disintegrating during very (read: VERY) excessive knock or LSPI (low-speed preignition i.e. high load/low RPM).

The biggest advantage that the ST has over a lot of its rivals is the advanced ECU and knock mitigation strategies. It uses a really clever strategy called OAR or Octane Adjust Ratio that uses the factory wideband (FTW!) to monitor the octane or quality of the fuel and adjusts the ignition trims to either be more aggressive or conservative depending on the knock threshold.

It's really impressive how well Ford designed the ECU. It makes tuning the car much more intuitive and gives you a lot of headroom for safety.

The ST can make 400-430whp (450-460bhp) on stock internals provided you have the fuel (and octane) which starts to run out around 360-380whp.

The Fiesta ST engine is actually the strongest unit of the 3 lol. It is equipped with a fairly mediocre turbo from the factory, but the engines are fully capable of producing 320whp with stock internals (with fuel).

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much abuse my car can take day in, day out. Too bad Ford is discontinuing the Focus ST in North America because I was almost deadset on buying a 2019/2020.
                  14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Focus, too? Damn, I thought it was just the Fiesta ST they stopped here. The sales can't have been that bad, I see them everywhere. What's up?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I thought they were killing off all of the sedans and replacing them with a small SUV (a lifted Focus)?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

I disagree. The Accord engine is actually vastly different than the Type-R in this day and age. It is around 50+HP down on the CTR stock, and quite a bit of torque and the difference is magnified when you start modding it. Smaller turbo, different valves, etc.

The hard reality is that 2.0T in the Accord is almost exactly on par with a GTI in terms of stock output and modded output, and both fall significantly short of the Type-R, which is stronger than both the RS and the Golf R on dyno tests (it puts down a little over 300WHP stock.

Then you have the Si with smaller brakes, less sophisticated suspension, softer tuning to be more focused on being a DD with the ability to do SOME track driving or back road stuff, and a completely different form factor and you would be in the same boat as the GTI guys. You would have to spend a lot of money modding the car to get to stock Type-R levels, and would likely spend more. Even if they had to detune it more from the Accord, it STILL would have been a better engine than the POS 1.5T.

As for Type-R not moving well, I am not sure who told you that, but it doesn't seem to be true. Every single one I have seen on the lot since they came out was sold when it got there, and I have just recently heard of people actually being able to get them for MSRP. I have also seen quite a few more Civic Type-R's running around locally than either Golf-R's or Focus RS's. And none of them were designed to be "high volume."

IMO, Honda squandered an opportunity to not be the laughing stock of the Sport Compact segment because the Si could have been 2/3 the car a Type R was for 2/3 the price and been much more focused on being dual use and it would have been no major factor for the Type-R which is much more hardcore. It is the same balance the ST and RS and the GTI and Golf R have successfully managed. In fact, if Honda HAD done that, I would probably be driving an Si right now. Such an Si would have been about $26K and it would have been worth every penny. As it is, Honda was blowing Si's out just a few months ago for a $199 lease deal, which is about what you get for a Civic LX lease special. It worked out to about $21K for the car, or almost $4K off of sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          I thought they were killing off all of the sedans and replacing them with a small SUV (a lifted Focus)?
                          Ah, yes, I forgot I heard about that move away from cars.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                            I disagree. The Accord engine is actually vastly different than the Type-R in this day and age. It is around 50+HP down on the CTR stock, and quite a bit of torque and the difference is magnified when you start modding it. Smaller turbo, different valves, etc.

The hard reality is that 2.0T in the Accord is almost exactly on par with a GTI in terms of stock output and modded output, and both fall significantly short of the Type-R, which is stronger than both the RS and the Golf R on dyno tests (it puts down a little over 300WHP stock.

Then you have the Si with smaller brakes, less sophisticated suspension, softer tuning to be more focused on being a DD with the ability to do SOME track driving or back road stuff, and a completely different form factor and you would be in the same boat as the GTI guys. You would have to spend a lot of money modding the car to get to stock Type-R levels, and would likely spend more. Even if they had to detune it more from the Accord, it STILL would have been a better engine than the POS 1.5T.

As for Type-R not moving well, I am not sure who told you that, but it doesn't seem to be true. Every single one I have seen on the lot since they came out was sold when it got there, and I have just recently heard of people actually being able to get them for MSRP. I have also seen quite a few more Civic Type-R's running around locally than either Golf-R's or Focus RS's. And none of them were designed to be "high volume."

IMO, Honda squandered an opportunity to not be the laughing stock of the Sport Compact segment because the Si could have been 2/3 the car a Type R was for 2/3 the price and been much more focused on being dual use and it would have been no major factor for the Type-R which is much more hardcore. It is the same balance the ST and RS and the GTI and Golf R have successfully managed. In fact, if Honda HAD done that, I would probably be driving an Si right now. Such an Si would have been about $26K and it would have been worth every penny. As it is, Honda was blowing Si's out just a few months ago for a $199 lease deal, which is about what you get for a Civic LX lease special. It worked out to about $21K for the car, or almost $4K off of sticker.
                            Having driven the Focus ST, WRX, and Si (with the Hondata Flash) of the most recent vintage, I'd still buy the Si. I found it to be the most enjoyable car of the bunch to drive. It's not the best on paper, but putting them through their paces, I like it the most.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                              Having driven the Focus ST, WRX, and Si (with the Hondata Flash) of the most recent vintage, I'd still buy the Si. I found it to be the most enjoyable car of the bunch to drive. It's not the best on paper, but putting them through their paces, I like it the most.
                              Yeah, but it wasn't stock. You can start to modify the others too.

I liked pretty much everything about the Si. Except the engine. It didn't help that I tested it in 95* Texas heat and the thing literally fell flat on its face. As in, my 2009 Si had more low RPM power flat on its face. Then, when it finally DID start to pull a little bit, it smashed into the rev limiter not long after.

I haven't tested one out here yet where the gas is 91 octane pee water and temps are about 20-30* hotter.

The other issue I had was that the engine wasn't particularly smooth and it revved like it had a 60lb flywheel. I used to complain about the "rev hang" on my 2009 Si, but it was nothing compared to what I was getting on the new Si. It made my 2.3x the size V6 Accord feel like it had a race flywheel.

Compared to the 2.0T Accord engine, it just isn't a contest. The Si as it is compared to the Nismo Sentra and Elantra GT vs the GTI, WRX, ST, or any of those. If you start throwing mods at all of them, it gets even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                                Yeah, but it wasn't stock. You can start to modify the others too.

I liked pretty much everything about the Si. Except the engine. It didn't help that I tested it in 95* Texas heat and the thing literally fell flat on its face. As in, my 2009 Si had more low RPM power flat on its face. Then, when it finally DID start to pull a little bit, it smashed into the rev limiter not long after.

I haven't tested one out here yet where the gas is 91 octane pee water and temps are about 20-30* hotter.

The other issue I had was that the engine wasn't particularly smooth and it revved like it had a 60lb flywheel. I used to complain about the "rev hang" on my 2009 Si, but it was nothing compared to what I was getting on the new Si. It made my 2.3x the size V6 Accord feel like it had a race flywheel.

Compared to the 2.0T Accord engine, it just isn't a contest. The Si as it is compared to the Nismo Sentra and Elantra GT vs the GTI, WRX, ST, or any of those. If you start throwing mods at all of them, it gets even worse.
                                The 1.5 rev hang is one of the worst features Honda has added to an engine. It takes whatever remaining soul is left in the motor and chucks it out the window by making it feel like molasses between gear changes.
                                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                                X