Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Supercharger questions/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew you'd make your way in here Deev. I had a feeling this may have been what you were trying to do. As far as heat soak, heat shields, gold foil, and header wrap may be enough.

Now to go look at that supercharger of yours...
    Last edited by Mike1357; 10-26-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Those things would cut down on it, for sure. If you fit an intercooler in there, it should solve the problem. Might be some pressure loss (well, there definitely will be...) but you can always throw a smaller pulley on there. You're never going to make big power with a supercharger anyway, so it'll be more for low-end grunt, originality, the glorious sound, and the fun of making it work!

I'm surprised to see so many others have done it. Here I thought it was a fairly novel idea.

Comment

Also want to add that a supercharger relies on RPM for the amount of boost it makes. So when you drive, the car will slowly make more boost until it peaks. Where if you used a turbo, it would peak lower in the rpm band, and stay there until you reach your peak RPM.

Super chargers are awesome regardless.

Comment

1) As has been stated previously, superchargers rely on the mechanical gear ratio between pulleys to regulate boost level. Of course it is all about airflow, so a larger supercharger at a lower boost level will still produce more power. The other issue you run into is adiabatic efficiency. Roots blowers especially are less efficient, so the more you try to push higher boost out of them, typically the hotter the air gets. It is also much harder to intercool them without ending up with a monstrosity of design. One of the reasons they had such good boost response is because they are typically mounted very close to the valves, so they don't have tons of piping to pressurize like a turbo would.

2) That said, I have become a much bigger fan of the ROTREX blower. It is a little weaker on the bottom end, but overall, matches the power curve for a Honda engine (especially a DOHC VTEC one) a lot better. They are a lot smaller than a roots blower, and they are much more efficient. That makes them easier to install, plumb and ultimately package. They are fairly uncommon though.

Much like inter cooling a turbo though, and they are actually basically a mechanically driven turbo compressor, which is typically has much higher adiabatic efficiency than a centrifugal or roots type blower. That just makes it easier to tune, and gives you more power for a given level of boost. It also doesn't tend to be as constrained up top flow wise as a roots blower.

3) You would need a blow off valve to solve the closed throttle surging issue, just as in a turbo car, so that it can vent the excess boost to atmosphere when the throttle plate closes.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

After doing more research, it seems to me that the supercharger in the first video is either plumbed wrong or rotating wrong. The port that opens over the header is the intake port and the bottom would be the outlet, but it doesn't seem like they have it running that way. I can't tell with the other car, but I don't see anything to change rotation direction. I need to see if the Mercedes rotates the same way the H does. H's rotate counter-clockwise if I recall correctly?

Another thing on my mind is the rpms the supercharger will see. The H22 is a rather high revving motor and I don't know what the redline of the donor vehicle is nor the size of the crank pulley. I don't want the supercharger to rotate faster than it is designed to (maybe this is a non-issue). If the H22 crank pulley is smaller then there shouldn't really be an issue. If it's larger than that would be the same as putting a smaller pulley on the supercharger upping boost. On that subject, what boost levels should I expect to see? I do not plan on running over 10psi at the most. Anyone know what the factory boost levels for a JR supercharger are?

I think I may want to maintain the magnetic clutch functionality, either for gas milage or if I have a headache and can't stand the sound. Kind of a Mad Max thing going for it. I'll probably end up going with an S300 to handle this as well as other functions.

As for future modifications to it, there are various companies that offer porting services. Porting will offer something like a 10% gain and drop charge temperatures. And intercoolers and blow off valves are cool fun parts so that's a plus.
            Last edited by Mike1357; 10-27-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know what way the Mercedes motor rotates?

Comment

Looks like clockwise...

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...n-c32-amg.html

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Another cooling option

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                  As for future modifications to it, there are various companies that offer porting services. Porting will offer something like a 10% gain and drop charge temperatures. And intercoolers and blow off valves are cool fun parts so that's a plus.
                  My project has been on the back-burner for a few years now due to priorities. I've acquired a brand new JRSC kit off e-bay a few years back from some young guy who had to give it up from having a newborn on the way. In the future i'm hoping to twin charge my cb7 but the JRSC for the prelude never had an intercooler option like some other kits.... however there is the lhtperformance intercooler. I remember reading a old magazine article where they tested the new JRSC kit for a Integra GS-R. Each time they ran the 1/4 mile...the E/T's got worse due to heat soak. The H22a generates enough heat as is so I can only imagine what that Benz supercharger would roasting partially over the header.

I noticed in one of the pictures what looks to be coolant lines running to the back of the block and thought possibly they are running a FMHE of some sort to cool down the engine.

If you are looking to drop intake temperatures, you may want to look into LHTperformance.net They can modify your H22a OEM intake manifold to adapt a FMHE (Front mount heat exchanger) Kinda looks like a bigass oil cooler but runs coolant through your manifold to knock temperatures down. They do custom fab work so i'm pretty sure if you wanted to run say a Skunk2 manifold etc. they can do it for a price.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                  JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                  1994 Prelude V-Tec
                  1999 CL 3.0
                  2000 Prelude
                  2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                  1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                  1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                  1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Oh, god, if only the H22 had a more-out-of-the-way rear mount setup, all the insane K options would be more doable for us

http://mercracing.net/product-category/manifolds/

Air-to-air and air-to-water intercooler manifolds. Even with ESP's low-profile bracket, that's not fitting back there.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-20-2018, 12:34 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                    X