Cleaning an alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning an alternator

Has anyone done this? I've read to use brake cleaner and let it dry as a popular method. My PS leaked on my alternator long ago. The dirty, greasy mess is inside it and out. Any suggestions? Waste of time to try?

Oh, the volts are fine, but I didn't expect that to last...

mine was looking worse than that, I happened to have bought a gallon of wd-40, it makes an awesome cleaner/degreaser, I used that and an old paint brush to work it in and get into all crannies. working with about 6 oz in a pan and the brush, then when i was done hosed it down with a can of brake cleaner, then blasted it with an air hose and blow gun..it sat a while before being put back into service.

Id try to stay away from water borne degreasers, dont know where it could end up or what corrosion/hard water deposits it could leave behind; and stick with solvents

Comment

I spray mine when I power wash...no worries =)
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Ok, think I'll go with the WD-40 / brake cleaner and the air.

thanks folks.

Comment

Alcohol may do the trick as well.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Alcohol may do the trick as well.
            rum or beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              rum or beer?
              No that's stickey, I think he means stuff like rubbing alcohol/ethanol

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                lmao.. young padawan

Comment

haha

Comment

Haha! Damn I feel silly. Totally went over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      rum or beer?
                      Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                      Yes it is sticky...vodka should do the trick

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Last night I tried WD-40 and brake cleaner. Put the ALT in a tub/container and soaked it down. Then used air to try dry it out. While it got the outside of the ALT clean, it didn't do much for the electrical wire coiled on the inside of it. I think having it like this for a couple years now means this junk is not going to come off easily. I may try to open it up and clean it this way (although i read opening it up is almost impossible).

Comment

The insulation on the wire may just be discolored. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you just want a shiny alt.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            The insulation on the wire may just be discolored. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you just want a shiny alt.
                            Yep. you are right. I cleaned it the best I could and put it back together.

Comment

Working...
                            X