Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension and Brakes - what do you run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centric Stoptech on Rockauto

We've been endurance racing, LeMons, with the Centric Stoptech Sport rotors, slotted not drilled. They are available for about $56 each on rockauto, and you'll find them under the heavy duty / towing / track section. They are durable enough to stand up to very aggressive race compounds including Porterfield 4E and Hawk DTC60. At our last Sonoma race we cooked our last set of Porterfields and the caliper got so hot it cooked the seals on the left side. Sonoma involves breaking from 80 or 90 down to second gear 4 times every 2.5 minutes and we do that for 2 hours a stint with a 10-15 minute driver change, 8 hours a day for two days straight. The rotors were and are still fine. Why spend big bucks on possible fake brembos when the stoptechs are better and cheaper?
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Glad to hear it! I just put some Stoptechs on my CTS-V.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
        However my question to you is if you warped rotors already what brand did you use, and are they slotted and drilled and if so what was the brand, I would recommend slotted bbc rotors with bbc green pads. Reason being the heat will not be to much of an issue as well as braking. I've read to stay away from drilled rotors as they tend to warp and crack .
        Old post, but I feel I must add personal experience to this. If you mean EBC, then don't get Green Stuff pads for heavy use. They're more of an OEM replacement. I used to have them, and they faded just like stock in my mountain runs. Not to mention, my slotted discs tore right through them. I upgraded to Hawk HPS and they've been much better for my street car, but probably still aren't something you'd want to track.

I hear that EBC discs, at least their common stuff like the Black Dashes that I have, don't hold up well to heavy duty pads and track use. I think mine might be slightly warped, and after three years (most of it with HPS pads) they're developing a lip.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

A friend of mine had some EBC Green Stuff pads lose their friction material after a very short time. It just fell off the backing plate. I always liked the company based on reputation, but after that, they're low on my list of consideration, for sure.
          Hawk seems to have a VERY long-running good reputation around here. I have no experience with them either, but when I start hitting the track, Hawk is going to be my first choice.

That being said, the StopTech rotors and Centric pads I just installed on my CTS-V are working nicely. Fully broken in. I haven't done any truly spirited driving with them yet, but my braking is HUGELY improved over the stuff that was on there previously (OEM replacement, I assume... though OEM on a CTS-V should be pretty beefy...)

Comment

brakes

I only have wagon front uprade, rear disk conversion, prop valve upgrade, stainless steel brake lines, prelude master cyl on centric rotors and wagner ceramics on the CB.
            Wagon brake upgrade, centric rotors and wagner ceramics on the CD. stainless hoses are next.

Come to rhink about it i have wagner on all my vehicles.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

For upgrades to a daily driver, I think that's actually a perfect setup.

Update on the Centric/StopTech stuff on my CTS-V... I've put quite a few miles on them now, in all conditions, and they're still great. I'm VERY pleased with the quality.

Comment

Centric/Stoptech is great stuff, been using them for a while now.

Here's my setup, as it is finally complete for the time being.

Suspension:
                Koni Yellows, Ground Control w/ 10k front and 8k rear springs, and FFC extended top hats.
                Tanabe front and rear sway bars
                FFC 3-point front, and 2-point rear solid strut bars
                Ultra Racing fender braces

Brakes:
                Front - 5 lug, Acura RL calipers, Stillen pads, 12.8" Centric Premium high carbon rotors
                Rear - 5 lug, Stoptech Street pads, Centric Premium high carbon rotors
                Goodridge SS brake lines
                40/40 prop valve.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with how the car is set up. Perfect combination of comfort and performance. Can't wait to take it to the track this upcoming year to see what it can do.

Comment

Do those fender braces make a noticeable difference? I've seen them around for various cars, but I have yet to hear any definitive reviews of them.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Do those fender braces make a noticeable difference? I've seen them around for various cars, but I have yet to hear any definitive reviews of them.
                    They do. Not much on street driving, but for harder driving yes. They connect from the door hinges to holes drilled in the front frame. Basically like a strut tower bar, but on a different axis. They won't make a huge change, but its still there. I got them free in a trade, otherwise I'd probably not have gotten them lol.

Comment

I thought about getting some for my Miata, but they're like $300, with mixed reviews. For a floppy convertible, the Miata doesn't seem to benefit much from the basic chassis braces!

Comment

When upgrading our suspension on the LeMons car I did a ton of research. I cannot remember where I found a table of spring rates, but it seems like it was on this forum somewhere. Anyway the overwhelming majority of "sport" springs available for our cars were for lowering and had stock or softer rates. That's a recipe for bottoming out the suspension. The Neuspeed Race springs are a ~1.5 to 2" drop and are about 2x the spring rate as stock both front and back. We're pretty happy with ours. We paired them with the Koni oranges which have lasted well so far. I'd much rather have bilstiens or koni yellows, but we got the oranges on sale for about $80 each. It would be hard for me to say what the street ride is like. But they are not overly hard on a race track.

I'm intrigued by the fender braces. I jack up our car really often. I usually use the point front and center where the cross member Ts off with the other frame bit, then put jack stands under the jack points just behind the front wheels. When letting it down I see the front end droop about an inch! after it touches the jack stands. That chassis flex can't be good for the handling. I've been pondering how to brace it to make it stiffer. I wonder how these would work?
                        ==========================
                        1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                        1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                        Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                        Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                        Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Agree on the spring rates being too soft, i found that with Tein products too. I always wondered about the fender braces. Does anyone know someone who tried those under car braces you see on ebay?

edit: the one that goes under the flex pipe would never work on our cars. Too low.
                          Last edited by Raf99; 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I'm looking into the fender braces as soon as I get Lola back. Hopefully this week. One of our member did buy and install the Ultra Racing fender braces for the CD5. Just have to do a bit of searching.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

[QUOTE=ukemike;3264937]When upgrading our suspension on the LeMons car I did a ton of research. I cannot remember where I found a table of spring rates, but it seems like it was on this forum somewhere.

Boom there you go!
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=tein+tech
                              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                                I'm intrigued by the fender braces. I jack up our car really often. I usually use the point front and center where the cross member Ts off with the other frame bit, then put jack stands under the jack points just behind the front wheels. When letting it down I see the front end droop about an inch! after it touches the jack stands. That chassis flex can't be good for the handling. I've been pondering how to brace it to make it stiffer. I wonder how these would work?
                                Sure it is drooping and not just teetering forward on the jack stands and lifting the rear end some?
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X