Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Nice man !
    Thanks Raf, I'm slowly catching up to the level of Sally.

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
    Your making a lot of great progress Will! I am planning on getting the black Ecu as well.
    Thanks Nick! It's looking like a good unit. I took the covers off last night and inspected the PCB. It looks great, all the capacitor's were replaced, everything looked good.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

A few updates.

- O2 Bung welded in for AEM/Bosch wideband O2.
      - AEM/Bosch O2 Sensor installed.
      - O2 Wire is through the firewall and almost to the drivers side (hoping to finish the wiring up tonight.)
      - OEM Double Lip fully bolted on (I scraped it once yesterday. It was the only entry/exit that I wasn't paying attention on. It's a minor scrape on the very bottom of the lip, maybe an inch wide. A touch of sanding will clean it right up. Otherwise it absorbed the impact well. This weekend I should be able to get the upper lip cleaned up, sanded and prepped for bonding the two together.)
      - Removed P13 and ECU tray from the car.
      - Test fit the P06 on the ECU tray.
      - Testing some thoughts on how to mount the '03 CL-S passenger seat.

I'm hoping to have the P06 with Hondata S300 V3 ECU installed and running a basemap by the end of the weekend. I have no intention of driving the car around this weekend, and if we do I'm putting the JDM P13 back in the car.

Comment

On Saturday 9/2/17 we took Lola on a drive to Kalispell, MT to get out of town and have a nice lunch. The JDM P13 is keeping the engine in check according to the wideband O2 sensor.

I still haven't gotten any info about a base map yet. I'm still working on this. During our drive on Saturday, the cigarette lighter was no longer working. I tore apart the center console to work on this, and then couldn't find the multi meter to save my life. I started cleaning up the garage, after a few hours of this and still not finding the multi meter I gave up.

I decided the next project to step into is the OEM double lip, since it's already bolted onto the car. The next step was to bond the 2 OEM lips together. I decided that basically welding them together is the way to go for strength and durability. By the end of last night I got one side fully welded together. The other side is about half done. It needs a bit more work though as the upper lip is slightly damaged from before my owner ship. It was scrapped on something and it rubbed off the entire bit of the bottom edge of the lip. I need to use the heat gun to reshape the area just a touch, it bows out slightly. Once it's reshaped I can then finish welding that side together. I'm also having to add a little bit more hardware for support while welding the lips together. I may just leave it permanently I'm not sure currently.

Lola and Ava

OEM Double Lip 1

OEM Double Lip 2

OEM Double Lip 3

OEM Double Lip 4

Ortiz Custom Gauge Pod Bezel 1

Ortiz Custom Gauge Pod Bezel 2

Ortiz Custom Gauge Pod Bezel 3

Ortiz Custom Gauge Pod Bezel 4 (Trying to show the contrast between the painted bezel and the OEM plastic.)

I'm totally surprised at how strong the welded joint is. I've flexed it as much as the lips are willing to flex being bolted in place. The welded joint has no give in it anywhere. To fill in the gaps that were created with the soldering iron, I used strips of another OEM lip that I have, it has some pretty serious damage on it, so cutting it up didn't hurt at all. Once I get the other side welded up the rest of the way, I'm going to start one smoothing out the joint. I'm going to start with some 3M Bondo Glass. We'll have to see how it looks once I get it on there. I might have to use another product for the last pass. We shall see.
        Last edited by Rilas; 09-06-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Acetone also works well at "melting" the plastic. The lip is made of ABS isn't it?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I used this to slowly fuse two side skirts together. With the correct speed and slight of hand you can make perfect looking smooth welds. Your looking at a cb7 inner lip w/ clips and the 95 accord lip together. They both had a lip/part that sticks up, i melted the lips to fuse them together while laying a smooth trail. I recon with the correct gun / tip you could smooth that right out. i would even cut up bits of black plastic to lay in for filler. Also use tape to guide.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              Acetone also works well at "melting" the plastic. The lip is made of ABS isn't it?
              The lips are made of ABS plastic. So far the soldering iron is working well to bond them together.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              I used this to slowly fuse two side skirts together. With the correct speed and slight of hand you can make perfect looking smooth welds. Your looking at a cb7 inner lip w/ clips and the 95 accord lip together. They both had a lip/part that sticks up, i melted the lips to fuse them together while laying a smooth trail. I recon with the correct gun / tip you could smooth that right out. i would even cut up bits of black plastic to lay in for filler. Also use tape to guide.

The area that I'm working with isn't the best for creating a nice looking weld. While I could take a bit more time and smooth all the welds out I'm not going to. As the texture is going to provide a nice surface for the Bondo Glass to bond to. I want this to look like it was one piece from a mold. So I really need to totally eliminate the seam between the lips. I'm already using strips of plastic that I'm melting in as I weld the 2 lips together.

Eventually I would like to get the CD5 side skirts, and if I do I will take the time to weld them together like you did. Also if that happens it will look aesthetically pleasing as well.

Comment

I love the gauge pod. Was yours in good shape when you received it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                  I love the gauge pod. Was yours in good shape when you received it?
                  Nothing other than what I mentioned when I originally received it. I just asked for it not all to be painted. It was all painted upon receiving it. Also there was a slight crack in the paint on the left gauge pod. It's still there but only visible from the correct angle. I can't see it all when sitting in the driver's seat.

Comment

Over the weekend I started working on patching up the crevice between the two lips. I've only worked on the driver's side as I figured it would be the harder side. Due to the upper lip having a portion of it ground off somewhere.

Double OEM Lip 1

Double OEM Lip 2

Double OEM Lip 3

There is Bondo Glass, as a base layer, then regular Bondo to build it up and level it out. I still need to add a little more Bondo. On the side it has 2 lines in it and there is a flat spot going around the front corner. Also I need to touch up the back edge where the 2 lips angle together. For the time being I've just been trying to build that area up. It's almost where I want it to be. Overall though this is more or less how the final version is going to look. I've driven all over the city with it like this over the last few days. I haven't scraped a single time. As long as I don't bash it into any curbs it should hold up just fine. The only part I haven't figure out what I want to do with yet is the entry to opening in the center. Once I have a plan I'll start working on the Bondo up there. For the time being I've just kind of been ignoring it.

Comment

The entry looks fine IMO (if you are talking about where the two lips split sharply away from each other). Another option could be to round it off with a circular file once you have some filled in.

Comment

I'm liking this idea more and more, can't wait to see how it turns out!
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                          The entry looks fine IMO (if you are talking about where the two lips split sharply away from each other). Another option could be to round it off with a circular file once you have some filled in.
                          Yea right now the Bondo just ends. I was filling in the crevice and just kinda globbed it on the end right there. I haven't sanded any of it as I want to figure out what my goal is with that area.

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                          I'm liking this idea more and more, can't wait to see how it turns out!
                          I was a bit skeptical earlier in the project. The closer it's getting to completion the more and more I'm liking the look. It's going to be unique for sure, at least for the time being. The opening matches the Accord bumper much better than the Legend lip's that is for sure.
                          Last edited by Rilas; 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

A few quick updates. I've more or less finished the Bondo on the driver's side of the double OEM lip. I have one last application of Bondo to this side, to finish the back end of the lips. I've almost finished the passenger side as well. It's going to get another coat tonight, and see where I end up with it. Also, yesterday I received my 180 amp circuit breaker for the main battery line running from the trunk to the engine. Now I don't need to worry nearly as much about the car burning itself to the ground. The last little update for the moment, is that I finally got my base map for the P06, I'm super stoked about this!

I'll get some pictures up tonight of how the lip is turning out. The farther along I get on this project the more and more I'm liking the final result.

Comment

im skeptical of how well the bondo will stick (it's been known to "crack" away from even body metal that just barely flexes - what about a lip that often touches the ground?) but overall the idea and the combined shape are looking really good! Super creative project and I am very much looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

FYI apparently 3M makes a 2-part ABS plastic-weld adhesive. It's expensive, and requires a specific application gun, but I think that would be the permanent/proper way to fill the missing area on an ABS plastic panel (which the lips are). Starting with a more direct plastic weld like you did is definitely the way to make a sturdy base though! I doubt those two lips will separate at this point, just the finished surface may not hold up re: the bondo like i mentioned.

Very cool man, are you going to paint it black when youre done?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Where did you purchase your circuit breaker from?
                                ~Nick~
                                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                                X