Chevy 2017 SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy 2017 SS

I'm not a chevy fan, but .... i would own this! Especially for the magnetic suspension and all the gadgets (HUD, Bremo, automated parallel parking, etc.), and it's a 6 speed with 400+ HP. 10-way heated and ventilated power seats, push button start. It's the usual cheap plastic interior that chevy does but the outside look isn't that bad.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan

What a coincidence... just watched this earlier today too.

All I kept thinking was another doomed Pontiac G8... typical GM so many resources, so much potential so predictable a fail.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

The suspension is what kills this car, in my opinion. It pushes the car well into the $40K range, where I think it would have done very well at $37-38K. Aside from the suspension, everything else on this car that's valuable such as the LS3, the Tremec TR-6060, the Brembos and the IRS all available for less money in a Camaro. People usually settle on something cheaper in the name of practicality, but this asks them to spend more for that same reason.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't mind owning one.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

All valid points. And it's a GM. But i like how they thew so many things at it from the best of the best (kind of). But ya, they should have gave it another name. And I wonder if magnetic suspension will catch on soon too, i've only seen a few other cars with it, besides this vid i posted years ago which is still cool to watch....

Comment

If cars switch over to 24 or 48 volt systems, we will see more magnetic suspension designs. And some nifty hybrid motor/alternator/starter designs.

I still think the e39 M5 is more attractive...probably because it looks like the CB.

Edit: There are a LOT of e60 550i's that are in the low teens. If you are an enthusiast, on a budget, that only needs or wants a 4-door+manual+V8+sedan, without all of the features that the SS gives you, I think that would be a better deal. The twin-turbo v8s are in the low mid 20s, if you want to see how good of a mechanic you think you are. And there is the CTS-V if you want to stick with GM products.
          Last edited by sonikaccord; 01-17-2018, 08:30 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
            What a coincidence... just watched this earlier today too.

All I kept thinking was another doomed Pontiac G8... typical GM so many resources, so much potential so predictable a fail.
            I've been watching Doug's videos lately, they are ok. Not sure why he does the "Doug score" but the rest is ok.

Comment

I try to watch a number of YT car reviewers. Obviously some are better and more sophisticated than others. Doug's OK but he gets a bit much after awhile...

I personally enjoy Driven Car Reviews with Tom Voelk, Redline reviews with Sofyen Bey and Alex on Autos most. But I try to be open minded and watch others who are a little quirky and less professional like Savagegeese...

If your looking for interesting reviews and info related more to the auto industry checkout Autoline.TV. One that I didn't expect to like so much is OldCarMemories.com (also on YT) guess I'm too nostalgic...
              Last edited by hiptech; 01-18-2018, 11:14 AM.
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I try to watch a number of YT car reviewers. Obviously some are better and more sophisticated than others. Doug's OK but he gets a bit much after awhile...
                What's funny is he'll sarcastically point out some of hoity-toity thoughts that might swirl around in peoples' heads while driving some of these uber expensive cars, but he turns around and complains about some of the smallest perceived foibles in some cars like they would actually drive an enthusiast's buying decision, e.g. the reverse lights coming on when you use the keyless entry system on the SS.

Really? He picked that to complain about? The bigger issue, and in my opinion the most glaring error by GM, was the lack of advertising for this car. The standard issue SS is a bit more expensive than your run of the mill Camaro SS, comes with way more standard equipment, yet I've seen no TV ads and very few print ads. This is partially why sedan sales are going down in the U.S. SUVs sell great, but they get all the air time. They barely seem to advertise the Cruze and Malibu, and sales are always paltry compared to Accords and Camrys. It's their own fault, IMO.
                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  The suspension is what kills this car, in my opinion. It pushes the car well into the $40K range, where I think it would have done very well at $37-38K. Aside from the suspension, everything else on this car that's valuable such as the LS3, the Tremec TR-6060, the Brembos and the IRS all available for less money in a Camaro. People usually settle on something cheaper in the name of practicality, but this asks them to spend more for that same reason.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't mind owning one.
                  Except you can actually see out of the SS. I'm sure that suspension setup will be run by some computer that will fail just after GM discontinues producing it making the price in the aftermarket go haywire.

I know a lot of people deleted the magnetic ride in the Corvette because of the outlandish costs of replacement parts.

Comment

I personally enjoy Driven Car Reviews with Tom Voelk, Redline reviews with Sofyen Bey and Alex on Autos most. But I try to be open minded and watch others who are a little quirky and less professional like Savagegeese...

If your looking for interesting reviews and info related more to the auto industry checkout Autoline.TV. One that I didn't expect to like so much is OldCarMemories.com (also on YT) guess I'm too nostalgic...
                    Ya i watch some of those. Same with Everyday Driver and Regular Cars. I also like watching Wheels and Deals Brittan show too, horsepower TV, etc. I'll check out Autoline.TV and OldCars, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X