H311RA151N : 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
    I know quite about the TPI system, first off the TPI itself will be the anchor holding you back; sad to say but even with the higher compression aluminum heads(which flow less than the vortec) and a full port/polish and siamese job they will be far where you think it will be at. Dyno will show that the TPI system runs out of steam below 5k, mine would fall flat on its face right after 4200 and after the TPIS big mouth intake and siamese runner kit it still wouldnt make it to 5k. The TPIS intake system was never meant to go on the 350 sbc as GM was planning to use it on the 305, add cam to the equation and you end up with a platform that starts pulling right before the point where it stops breathing. Go over to thirdgen and see if you can score a LT1 intake that has been already converted for a SBC retrofit and go that route; tuning will be another issue as nobody wants to waste time on these so you have to resort to mail order tunes. I could keep going on and on and on.............
    I missed your comment somehow. My apologies.

I'm not going to mess with it enough for it to matter. The heads are modified quite a bit. I was told on CorvetteForun that the TPiS mini ram would compliment the current modifications. But that's over a $1000 setup so I don't know if I can justify it to be honest.

I'm in the process of obtaining my CDL for work. Granted the car is 1300 miles away from me. However I think it's plenty fast the way it is. I don't plan on driving it fast or making it into something that will get me into trouble.

In case your unaware as I sure was, these cars are incredible in stock form. Check this L98 C4 out on the track. Chasing and passing a GT3. These cars aren't a slouch. It's capable of more than I am as a driver without a doubt. I still wish it had the 4+3...

Comment

I destroyed the transmission in this last night. I got it back from Missouri and drove it around a bit. I took off from a stop light and pinned it to the floor. It spun through an intersection staying pretty straight and hooking nicely. It grabbed second and started to gain traction. It was the first launch I ever done in it and I was very impressed. Although I lost overdrive a few miles later and then 2nd and reverse.

The 700r4 is toast. I think the tv cable was probably adjusted wrong anyhow after reading.

I'm getting it the 700r4 rebuilt and "bullet proofed". Going with a little higher stall.

Stop light to stop light it's quite impressive. I'm surprised even though the transmission went out.

Oh well. Build bigger and stronger now.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
        I missed your comment somehow. My apologies.

I'm not going to mess with it enough for it to matter. The heads are modified quite a bit. I was told on CorvetteForun that the TPiS mini ram would compliment the current modifications. But that's over a $1000 setup so I don't know if I can justify it to be honest.

In case your unaware as I sure was, these cars are incredible in stock form. Check this L98 C4 out on the track. Chasing and passing a GT3. These cars aren't a slouch. It's capable of more than I am as a driver without a doubt. I still wish it had the 4+3...
        Yeah but that car already has a Hot cam, Mini ram and exhaust done; The L98 was a SBC with an actual FI setup that was never actually designed to work with the engine itself(but the 305). Once you take the TPI system out of the equation the engine can be powerful for cheap since its just an aluminum headed, high compression, roller 350. Sorry to hear about the transmission, the torque on those engines comes in very nicely and abuses those things all day long.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

So I'm going with an upgraded 700r4 from Monster Transmission.

I just found out that I know someone with an LS3 that I can get for about the same price as the transmission. So I'm going to talk it over with the owner at work tomorrow. Catch is I'd have to help pull it out of a wrecked car with side impact damage. From the pictures it looks not too hard but the steering column area is crunched. Car still runs great. Actually can drive enough to move around.

We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
            So I'm going with an upgraded 700r4 from Monster Transmission.

I just found out that I know someone with an LS3 that I can get for about the same price as the transmission. So I'm going to talk it over with the owner at work tomorrow. Catch is I'd have to help pull it out of a wrecked car with side impact damage. From the pictures it looks not too hard but the steering column area is crunched. Car still runs great. Actually can drive enough to move around.

We'll see.
            Are you gonna keep the old transmission on the LS3 or getting the trans too? If you go the 700R4 route there is a plate that can be used to mount the LS to the 700 while using the factory L98 mounts. There is a video on youtube that talks about the retrofit and while he chose to go carburated the FI should not be that much different. LS will open doors that exceed beyond the expectations you have right now, there are cams for sale now that allow the swap to happen without a spring change being necessary and claim 66hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
              Are you gonna keep the old transmission on the LS3 or getting the trans too? If you go the 700R4 route there is a plate that can be used to mount the LS to the 700 while using the factory L98 mounts. There is a video on youtube that talks about the retrofit and while he chose to go carburated the FI should not be that much different. LS will open doors that exceed beyond the expectations you have right now, there are cams for sale now that allow the swap to happen without a spring change being necessary and claim 66hp.
              I need to get a straight answer from the guy first. Lol He's hesitant to sell it. Once he found out I was serious he backed off a bit. But I'm pretty sure come Christmas time he'll come off it.

Yeah I want to stay 700r4. I figured there was an adapter that might retain stock mounts/locations. Thanks for making me fully aware.

The L98 doesn't have my loyalty I should say. It's quick. But for the rest of the cars capability the L98 is the limiting factor I feel like. The car is so much more capable than I am as a driver. In a CB I can push the limits and can drive one really pretty well. In comparison this car here is pretty wild. But then I'm reminded that by today's standards the C4 is relatively mild. Outdated technology mostly. Still though for a middle working class guy like me it's really fun. I enjoy it.

Comment

Either one will make power, like i said the L98 is a roller 350 with factory aluminum heads and a restrictive Intake system; think of the L98 as the H22 of the Chevy world and the LS as the K series. Parts for 350s are abundant and a stupid amount of combinations have been done thru the years with relatively cheap parts, the LS has more potential at higher prices and come with bragging right once dropped into anything much like K swaps. It just boils down to what you want powering your machine, either way i can guarantee you will not be dissapointed. PS as somebody who once went down that road, the TPI would be the first thing to go if you really want to wake the thing up.

Comment

I ordered a bunch of parts from Rock Auto.

Comment

Here it is in my garage. Looking like a barn find. Lol It's filthy.

Comment

After going back and forth on a transmission builder I've made a final decision.

https://animalperformancetransmissio...=7488729219102

I've decided to go with Animal Performance Transmissions. Their Revenger 700r4 rated to 650hp. Paired with their Animal Performance torque converter. The torque converter has upgrade options. One is the stall which I'm going with 2000rpm after doing quite a bit of research. The other is anti balloon plating. Primarily for boosted or nitrous applications however it will add in durability. A $100 add-on.

https://animalperformancetransmissio...ant=7033185537

On the stall, I don't want a stall rpm higher than the rpms will be cruising down the highway. From what I've read it causes slippage thus creating a lot of heat.

The transmission has a lot if features. Some of which I don't know a whole lot about.

"Coan Racing & Sonnax and Superior Products
                      Animal Performance Constant Pressure Front pump with Large Valves, Springs
                      Improved Line Pressure ,Converter Flow and Lubrication
                      New 10 vane Hardened Pump Rotor,Rings and Slide and vanes
                      New Stator Support
                      Coan Racing Input Drum Reinforcing Billet support ring w/ new piston
                      All new Alto Hi-Energy Frictions
                      New steels
                      Upgraded 3-4 pack (7) Hi-Energy frictions
                      High Performance Wide Alto Carbon fiber band provide greater torque capacity and more positive Shifts.
                      Corvette 1-2 servo
                      Superior Super 4th servo
                      HD Sun shell
                      New Bushing Kit with Wide Gear train Bushings for more support, less failures."

Will be ready to pull the trigger on this October 12th. Just under two weeks away!

The downside is I won't get the transmission back for 6 weeks to 2 months. But that's ok. It's winter time anyhow now pretty much.

Comment

Washed it today. Then started it up and let it run for a few minutes. Recorded the idle.

Put it back in the garage cleaned up. Awaiting the transmission rebuild.

Comment

It didn’t sound like it was about to stall out. I don’t think your cam is big enough . It sounds great though jokes aside

Comment

It thumps a bit. Just straight pipes. Literally nothing other than pipe straight out of the headers all the way back.

Cam is a Lunati VDSC-262 Roller Tapet Camshaft 262/270 112LSA.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-03-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I picked up a service manual being as I have to pull the transmission soon. I figure it's pretty straight forward but it can't hurt to have a service manual. Sellers picture, not mine. Picked it up on ebay. The seller is less than 100 miles from me. Kinda cool.

Comment

The new battery I installed a while back. Interstate MT75. 650cca.

Typical looking L98 + headers. Been cosmetically neglected the last few years. But will clean up well.

Comment

Working...
                                X