X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll trade either of you winters!

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
      I am also a Steelers fan, been since 1995, I live in warmer area of PA I live like 15 miles from Baltimore County Maryland , it is very hilly here and most non highway roads are twisty
      Hell yeah man! I have been since 2010. So not all that long.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
      I'll trade either of you winters!
      I bet you would! I'll trade you roads though.

Comment

No thanks, I'll take the gravel roads around my house over any MO highway anyday. Do the potholes in your state have individual area codes or what!

Comment

No thanks, I'll take the gravel roads around my house over any MO highway anyday. Do the potholes in your state have individual area codes or what!
          Finally someone who understands! The roads are just horrible here... there really isn't a way to describe it. You have seen it so you know.

Comment

Just bought the first parts for this thing.

-FRONT AXLE-

Fel Pro Front Diff Gasket
            Valvoline Gear Oil 80w-90 (2 Quarts)
            Spicer 40710 Drivers Side Inner Axle Seal
            Spicer 40773 Passenger Side Inner Axle Seal
            Spicer 5-760X Front Axle U Joints (2)

-REAR AXLE-

Fel Pro Rear Diff Gasket
            Permatex Ultra Black RTV
            Valvoline Full Synthetic Gear Oil SAE 75W-140 (4 Quarts)

Cost me just under $300. The universal joints for the front shafts are direct from the manufacturer along with the seals. Do it once, do it right.

Next the engine will be getting some attention.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-24-2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

So what are the plans for the engine? Decided yet?

Comment

So what are the plans for the engine? Decided yet?
                After I get the front and rear differentials done and all the front end bearings replaced then the engine will get some attention.

In the near future (probably start in about a week and a half) I will do some work to the engine to ensure it runs well through the winter.

-ENGINE-

Carter AFB 9000 Series Rebuild Kit With Brass Floats
                Holley Chrome 14" Air Cleaner
                Fel Pro Valve Cover Gaskets
                Fel Pro Oil Pan Gasket
                Gates Water Pump
                Fel Pro Water Pump Gasket
                SKF Front Crank Seal
                Spectra Heater Core
                Standard Water Temp Sender
                Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w40 Diesel Oil Gallon (2)
                Motorcraft Oil Filter
                Corteco Power Steering Pump Repair Kit

About $300 worth once again. Not to shabby.

Long term as in the spring I plan on pulling the engine out and rebuilding it. I don't think I'm going to stroke it after all. From some extensive research I have came up with the following.

-BOTTOM END-

Ford Racing High Performance Engine Gasket Sets M-6003-A429
                Clevite H-Series Rod Bearings CB818HN STD
                Clevite H-Series Main Bearings MS1039H STD
                Keith Black KB Performance Piston and Ring Kits KB206KTM-020 .020 Over +15cc
                Moroso Truck Oil Pan 8 Quart 20612
                Moroso Oil Pump Pickup 24504
                Moroso Universal Dipstick Kit 25970
                Melling High-Volume Oil Pump M84DHV
                Melling Heavy-Duty Intermediate Driveshaft IS-84
                Milodon Freeze Plug Kit 34038

-TOP END- (incomplete)

Lunati Voodoo Cam and Lifter Kit Hydraulic Flat Tappet 10340702K
                Clevite Camshaft Bearings SH1766S
                Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold 8012
                ARP Stainless Steel Intake Manifold Bolt Kit ARP 455-2101

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10340702k

Comment

She's going to be torquey.

I know someone who isn't getting stuck this winter... and maybe pulling others out of the ditch eh? (damnit I'm already talking like a cannook)

That intake/cam and over bore with new internals is going to make this a fun truck to drive. What are you looking at spending on machine work?

Comment

She's going to be torquey.

I know someone who isn't getting stuck this winter... and maybe pulling others out of the ditch eh? (damnit I'm already talking like a cannook)

That intake/cam and over bore with new internals is going to make this a fun truck to drive. What are you looking at spending on machine work?
                    I hope it's nice and torquey! I am not getting anything as for MPG so it better give me some kind of a trade off!

It should go anywhere this winter. I'm going to take it out and see what it will do, I'll tell you that. I hope I get a good snow storm that'll will show me the limits this winter.

Machine shop work will be kinda extensive.

First thing is having the block sonic tested.

I plan to bore it .030 over.

Valve guides will be machined for the over .550 lift cam. It might not be necessary but I want the added assurance.

The heads I will rework myself. The exhaust ports in D3VE heads have a large hump in them. Just a hillbilly job on the stock heads people have seen gains from 30-50hp. I will do a nice mild job on them myself.

I will likely have the bottom end balanced as well. That isn't real necessary in this case but it can't hurt.

Most people want to rev these things kinda high (6000-6500) but I would rather have brute low end grunt myself. Sometimes revving the crap out of something is fun. But other times boogieing on down the road changing gears below 2000rpm is fun too.

Comment

What granny gear is on there? What is your final drive reduction ratio? Shouldn't ever need anything over 4k RPMs on that monster.

I grew up on big trucks (mostly chevy) but I have a good deal of respect for Fords (don't get me started on the newer Dodge).

Personally I always wanted an old 1/2 ton to putz around in and pull tree stumps with. I looked at a few before deciding on my S10 Blazer.

My dog likes the Hondas but he sits in the passenger seat of the S10 Blazer while I work on it and I can just see him anticipating sticking his head out the window in the wind. He misses my old Jeep.

Personally I have a goal to own many vehicles for many different purposes and reasons and this bewilders my woman to no end.

Comment

All the thing did was haul wood for the last owner who bought it in 2008. He put 6000 miles on it in 6 years.

I took it out and got with it pretty good for a while. It started to run a little better.

I don't plan on driving it anymore until I rebuild the transmission, do the diff work, rebuild the transfer case and do some engine work. I don't know how much fluid the diffs, transmission and transfer case have and I don't want to chance it.

Comment

What granny gear is on there? What is your final drive reduction ratio? Shouldn't ever need anything over 4k RPMs on that monster.

I grew up on big trucks (mostly chevy) but I have a good deal of respect for Fords (don't get me started on the newer Dodge).

Personally I always wanted an old 1/2 ton to putz around in and pull tree stumps with. I looked at a few before deciding on my S10 Blazer.

My dog likes the Hondas but he sits in the passenger seat of the S10 Blazer while I work on it and I can just see him anticipating sticking his head out the window in the wind. He misses my old Jeep.

Personally I have a goal to own many vehicles for many different purposes and reasons and this bewilders my woman to no end.
                          The granny gear is pretty neat actually. This truck has one of the few T19s that got the 6.32:1 first gear.

When I put it in 4 Low and in 1st gear at about 3000rpm you can walk in a somewhat fast pace beside it.

Gears are 3.55 in the back and 3.54 in the front. I got lucky and got the big Sterling 10.25" rear axle.

I found papers today stating that this truck was special ordered along with the original owners manual. According to Carfax I'm the 3rd owner.

I like everything, Chevy's, Dodges, Fords. I don't like the mind set owners of any make have sometimes but I guess that's just how some people are. I'm not brand biased by any means. Ever manufacturer has made cool stuff.

I hear you about your GF or wife or whatever... My GF gets on my case sometimes about my car habits. But she likes it most of the time. She says a car never stays in my possession without seeing major improvement s from how it was when I got it. Anyone who knows me pesters me about buying my stuff because they know how I am.

Comment

I'm looking for another forum to figure some stuff out on my front end and I'm not having any luck. I registered to http://www.ford-trucks.com and I already hate it... It's slow as shit and the info sucks. You go to the '80-'86 forums, click on a sticky and the links are all for other years of trucks.

I'm looking for info on replacing the front wheel bearings, diff seals, u-joints and such but the stupid "How Toos" as they call them are for newer non-lockout hubs. Nothing worse than a jumble of incomplete information that you have to wait a decade for the page to load.

I think we need a branch off of this forum. Let's call it 1FTtuner.com

Comment

Ordered the carburetor rebuild kit. Along with the power steering pump rebuild kit.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Cart...Kit_p_730.html

The upgraded front axle universal joints should be here this week. I wanted to go that route so I know I'm not going to lose 4x4 this winter.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p168...or_ford_w.html

I tested out the 4x4. The transfer case sounds good. I don't think it has been put into 4x4 much during it's life. The front diff was low. I didn't really care for that to much but I don't think any damage has been done.

-

On another note. I have found out that from '72 - '87 Ford retarded the timing on the 460 by 4* to pass emissions. So there are timing sets refereed to as "straight up" which the timing is set to 0*. So that's a nice bump in HP/TQ along with some MPG.

I think I'm going to go with a Comp Cams Magnum double roller timing gear set. Nothing better than making some HP/TQ/MPG for $65.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3639_505200_0_

Comment

I went with Clevite for my double roller set. Granted it's not a true roller for $40. A tip I learned is to use motor cycle chain lube on the chain and it will reduce noise and wear.

Comment

Working...
                                X