reklipz : 1991 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reklipz : 1991 Accord LX

I told myself I wasn't going to make a Members' Rides Thread, but I take and post so many pictures while doing various things to my car I figured that a central thread to collocate them all wouldn't hurt.

I bought the car on 2011-10-08 for $1000. My previous vehicle, a 3.1L V6 Buick Regal, spun a rod bearing that I wasn't willing to fix. I love driving and decided I wanted to learn to drive a stick shift, so the cheap Honda was a perfect choice. I had no intentions for the car other than to buy it, learn to drive it, and then use it to get me around town.

Here are some photos of the car as of 2012-06-21. The body is in pretty much the same condition as it was when I purchased it.

More photos can be seen in this album.

Less than a week after owning the car, the transmission blew up. After driving nearly 200 miles, I found out there was no transmission fluid in the transmission. I could tell something was wrong, so I picked up some Synchromesh and called it a night. I was unable to get my fill bolt off the next morning, so I set out for my folks' to use my father's tools. The fifth gear needle bearing blew up less than two blocks down the road. I had to get it towed two blocks back home where I then proceeded to fix the transmission; why did it have to be fifth! Photos of the transmission work can be seen in this album.
    Last edited by reklipz; 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM.

reserved

Comment

Tons of updates, not sure where to start.

2011/??/?? - Cooling system and misc
      My cooling fans were not operating correctly. I tested the system and diagnosed a bad fan controller. Replaced the controller from a JY pull; things look good now.
      Replaced defrost button (burnt bulb), re-installed aftermarket stereo (was wired incorrectly), and installed a JY pulled seat belt controller (was missing original). Re-installed broken cruise control buttons on the steering wheel; doing so allowed for fixing the horn as well. This has since broken back off; the epoxy didn't hold up well in the summer heat for some reason...

2011/11/29 - Front suspension
      Replaced blown front struts with Koni STR.Ts ("Koni Oranges"). Kept front eBay Ground Control knock-off kit, but raised the perches until the springs were no longer loose when fully extended.
      Replaced front upper control arms and lower ball joints with AutoZone/O'Reilly storebrand parts.

2011/??/?? - Headlights/intersection lights and grill
      Both headlight/intersection light brackets were broken, though the glass itself was in good shape. I pulled new brackets from the JY and epoxied studs back onto the intersection lights; much better. The grill was also broken, and the radiator crossbeam was bent; these were replaced with clean pulls from the JY. It looks like there was a minor passenger side front-end collision; I need to straighten the radiator support on the passenger side sometime to fix the headlight/grill gap/alignment.

2012/??/?? - Tires and O₂ sensor
      Stock steelies w/ BFGoodrich Touring T/A Pro Series (P185/70R14 87T). Replaced the O₂ sensor with a new Denso. Man, what a PITA to remove/install without an O₂ socket...

2012/07/22 - Timing job
      Timing job at ~122k miles; first since I've had the car for ~1 year. Fixed the only oil leak on the engine, the camshaft seal. Re-torqued rocker/cam cap assembly, and performed valve lash adjustment to OEM specs; intake: 0.010" ± 0.001", exhaust: 0.012" ± 0.001".
      • Timing belt - "Belt, Timing (113ru24 A-555)" - 14400-PT0-004 - Mitsuboshi (OEM Honda)
      • Balancer belt - "Belt, Balancer Timing" - 13405-PT0-004 - Mitsuboshi (OEM Honda)
      • Timing belt tensioner - "Adjuster, Timing Belt" - 14510-PT0-004 - Koyo (OEM Honda)
      • Balancer belt tensioner - "Adjuster, Balancer Belt" - 13404-PT0-004 - Koyo (OEM Honda)
      • Water pump w/ gasket and seal - "Water Pump" - 19200-P0A-003 - NPW (OEM Honda)
      • Camshaft seal - "Oil Seal (28x42x8)" - 91213-PT0-003 - OEM Honda
      • Front crankshaft seal - "Oil Seal (40x52x7)" - 91212-P0A-004 - OEM Honda
      • Balance shaft seal - "Oil Seal (27x40x8)" - 91233-PT0-003 - OEM Honda
      • Balance shaft seal retainer - "Bracket, Balancer Belt Adjuster" - 13415-P0A-000 - OEM Honda
      • Front oil pump gasket - "Gasket B, Oil Pump" - 15114-PT0-003 - OEM Honda
      • Valve cover gasket w/ bolt and plug gaskets - "Gasket Set, Head Cover" - 12030-PT0-000 - OEM Honda

2012/09/27 - Timing adjustment
      I finally borrowed a timing light (an older model, but fancy, digital inductive Snap-On!), and adjusted my base timing and ensured timing advance was working properly. My timing was a whole 7 degrees retarded! I set it to factory specs, 15° ± 2° BTDC.

2012/10/?? - Vacuum line, fuel filter, and oil pressure relocation
      Replaced all the vacuum lines with new NAPA/Gates line. Fixed up the intake vacuum box and valve as well; removed rust and repainted valve.
      Replaced fuel filter with new OEM.
      Replaced broken oil pressure sending unit with AutoZone storebrand, and installed an AutoMeter digital oil pressure gauge. The whole setup was relocated via stainless steel braid / teflon hose and brass tee. I have yet to install the gauge in the cabin.

--

I have OEM lower plug well seals to install, along with an F22A6 cam and valve springs. I also have an H22/H23 TB w/ FITV + plenum w/ IACV, and F22A6 runners w/ IAB to install, along with OEM TB/plenum and plenum/IAB/runner gaskets, and Bisimoto phenolic intake gasket. The plenum has been gutted, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the IABs yet; I have the vaccum box and can easily convert my PT3 to a PT6. I just finished modifying the runners with reusable EGR plugs; thanks wed3k!

The front end is making a ton of noise already. I'm not sure what's the deal, but either the struts are shot already due to the crappy spring/sleeve kit, or the ball joints have already blown. Both CV axles have lost a ton of outer boot grease; not sure what's going on there, the boots look to be in great shape.

My IACV is going bad; ECU has thrown codes a couple of times, and I can tell the idle is poor, especially when cold. Putting this off until I swap the intake.

I also have an F22A4 header, but I need to find a matching downpipe and flexpipe; my exhaust is currently really loud, the previous owner deleted the cat and didn't bother to reuse the flanges, so I'll need to borrow a welder for this. The hangers are also loose on the exhaust, causing a rubbing noise on the undercarriage as it shifts.

Finally, I need to fix my brakes. I feel absolutely horrible for going this long without diagnosing the issue. My "BRAKE" light is always on now (the one that lights up when the parking brake is engaged), and I'm pretty sure the front passenger brake is doing absolutely nothing for me as-is. I think I'll be looking into converting the rear to discs, and installing ABS if I can; I've nearly shat my pants a few times already when the tires lock up on water... I don't even want to think about dealing with a shitty winter without this fixed.
      Last edited by reklipz; 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Man, I feel like I'm the only one interested in my car; my own thread with my own four posts. Anyway, just wait, I'll eventually have something to be proud of.

2012/11/04 I was at the junkyard all day looking for parts. I grabbed a clean distributor housing, some MAP sensors, a couple EACVs, a gutted IAB plate, a main cruise control switch module, and a firewall black box that has all of the vacuum goods as my current one is all busted up. I also took some knuckles and calipers off of a 4th gen prelude; they wanted way too much for them, but I got them to hold them while I make up my mind. They're probably gone by now.

I also found a pair of maroon rear 6x9 speaker pods and cloths from an EX to match my interior. I cleaned them up, and here they are preliminarily installed. I plan on replacing the worn and useless factory foam with some better padding to minimize rattling; probably something like 1/8" neoprene, dense foam or flattened rubber hose. I have neoprene on hand, so I'll probably wind up using that. The covers look to be maroon on the sides, but black/dark gray on the top. I took a shower with them to try and clean 'em up, but they just look like clean dark gray now. Oh well, at least they're consistent, .

Comment

You took a shower with the speaker pods?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
          It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Thats one way to do it. I guess he loves his CB7.

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
              You took a shower with the speaker pods?
              Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
              Thats one way to do it. I guess he loves his CB7.
              Indeed sir. Beats making a mess and cleaning it up; I needed a shower anyway.

Comment

Nice progress man, quite a bit of work you've done so far! Keep it up!
                Come check out my thread if you get a chance....

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Real quick progress brother!

Comment

you don't want the prelude knuckles, and the 4th gen is still 4 lug correct?
                    -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                    -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by AAPOQ View Post
                      Nice progress man, quite a bit of work you've done so far! Keep it up!
                      Come check out my thread if you get a chance....
                      Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                      Real quick progress brother!
                      Thanks fellas!

Originally posted by GunRunner View Post
                      you don't want the prelude knuckles, and the 4th gen is still 4 lug correct?
                      I'm not sure if you're asking or telling. I wanted the prelude knuckles because they get me free positive camber fix for my lowering solution. Unfortunately, they were too pricey for me at the moment, so I couldn't buy them. I've since decided that I think I should do the knuckle swap along with a braking upgrade and ROH swap. I'll probably stick with 4 lug, I like the look, and it's less hassle to find the parts in the JY for the swap I believe.

Yeah, the 4th generation prelude is 4 lug.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post

I'm not sure if you're asking or telling. I wanted the prelude knuckles because they get me free positive camber fix for my lowering solution. Unfortunately, they were too pricey for me at the moment, so I couldn't buy them. I've since decided that I think I should do the knuckle swap along with a braking upgrade and ROH swap. I'll probably stick with 4 lug, I like the look, and it's less hassle to find the parts in the JY for the swap I believe.

Yeah, the 4th generation prelude is 4 lug.
                        Just get the CL parts for ROH if you're staying 4 lug.
                        -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                        -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                        -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                        -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by GunRunner View Post
                          Just get the CL parts for ROH if you're staying 4 lug.
                          Okay, good to know. The reason I was interested in the knuckles was because of the free positive camber they will afford me. My current shitty suspension setup has too much negative camber; I've never measured it.

Comment

Never got an alignment?

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              Never got an alignment?
                              Yeah, that's correct. It's a terrible idea, I know. I had a scheduled appointment and took it in, but they noticed the UCA on the right side was blown and (rightly so; kudos to them) said that I should replace it before getting an alignment, and I never took it back in after replacing. They also f'd up my front bumper and didn't notice; they clipped it on the lift or such. I noticed and informed them, and they didn't offer to do anything. My bumper is terribly scratched and sh!tty looking, but that's from previous owners and doesn't mean I don't care about it. I've since fixed it, not a big deal, but it was something they should have immediately offered to take care of IMO. I was bummed because I'd gotten really good references for them, and that's partly why I didn't go back. Anyway, I'm going to rotate my tires and schedule an appointment tomorrow, .

Comment

Working...
                              X