Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Painting Trim

Originally posted by wed3k
    This is a DIY on how to paint the trim around the windows. we painted it gloss black to match the Nighthawk Black Factory Paint.

Materials:
    • Black Primer (any type would work but also depends on the original color of car...black overspray wouldnt work too well on a white car )
    • Gloss Black
    • Gloss Clear
    • Masking Tape (we used about a roll)
    • Newspaper or Painter's Cloth (not really a cloth but plastic)
    • 110-220 grit sandpaper
    • Denatured Alcohol or Tack cloth

Steps:
    1. Start masking the bottom trim. There are two ways you can mask it. Use tape to get as close as you can to the trim or use a big piece of the painter's cloth and insert it under the trim. the trim usually can lift up. you pretty much want to cover all sides.

2. You can either take off the side mirrors or mask as best as you can. Make sure you mask entirely around it, you can never use too much tape

3. the sides, make sure you use plenty of tape and try "bending" the tape to the curvature of the trim.

4. Begin masking the top and cover the inside part with newspaper. One trick is to open the door and crease the newspaper to fill in the top above the door.
    5. Next, soak the 3 cans of paint in hot water (temperature of what you bathe in). It'll warm up pretty quick.
    6. Make any last checks or touch-ups and begin shaking up the cans.
    7. Scuff up the trim with the sandpaper and clean off with the denatured alcohol or theh tack cloth.
    8. Apply first coat of primer and repeat after 10-15 minutes. The primer dries incredibily fast.

9. After the primer has dried, apply the gloss black. The black is important in terms of eveness. Let dry for 30-45 minutes between coats. Repeat for another 1-2 coats.

10. Apply Gloss CLear, let sit for 30 minutes between coats, repeat for another 3-4 coats.
    11. Let everything dry fully and carefully remove the masking. If you want, you can run a razor between the masking tape and trim because the coat of paint creates a film. Removal of masking may tear off some of the paint so becareful and do it very slowly.
    12. Repeat everything for the other side.
    13. After everything is done, you may have to take off the overspray on your car. for the windows, soapy water and a razor blade and then windex and newspaper. On the paint, rubbing compoiund or cleaner wax works well.

After notes:
    -If some of the paint does chip off, use touch up paint, follow up with clear
    -I persoinally did primer black on my white cb7, more neutral, looks better and is easier to maintain.
    -2 people for masking is almost a requirement.
    -took us over 6 hours to do
    -try starting in the morning when its still warm
    always apply the primer, if not, the paint will bubble up
    -can also use Duplicolor Trim paint (Satin Black)
    -Masking is an art and do not skimp out on it
    -Most of the older accords have removable trim but if they dont, this is the DIY for you

written by wed3k
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

wow nice writeup. i didn't even know that 6th gen accords had chrome trimming. that's a very good masking job. you can never do too much masking. it is indeed an art. great job !
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

very nice mam great post.... is that your accord?

1966 Chevy Nova
      1974 Super Beetle
      2012 Ford Super Cobra Jet
      2004 Honda Element
      2004 Honda Ruckus
      2003 Honda Ruckus

www.weezoonline.com
      www.facebook.com/weezoonline

Comment

my accord is the white one in my sig, also can be seen in the reflection of the rear bumper of the last pic
        I <3 G60.

Comment

very nice, very nice

i will get around to doing that one day

Comment

nice... ill be doing this one pretty soon

Comment

satin looks the best on moldings not gloss. nice write up though. also if you can cant replace it then paint it is my moto. did you look into buying black ones? do they make a dx 2 door? once again nice write up. ive dont this 4 times myself

JDMED

buy my jdm part
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

* eh hem *

I did this over the summer too.
                + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Great job. I have also seen it done by useing black eletrical tape for a quick satin finish look.
                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
                    Great job. I have also seen it done by useing black eletrical tape for a quick satin finish look.
                    i tried doing that for my moldings but didnt turn out so well...so i just painted mine satin black then it bubbled...sanded it off and painted it primer black.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                      i tried doing that for my moldings but didnt turn out so well...so i just painted mine satin black then it bubbled...sanded it off and painted it primer black.
                      Exactly.

The tape way sucks...and actually isn't THAT fast. It'll come off if under a week, and it'll bubble.

The only place that I had to tape even after painting, was on the chrome strips inside my windows on the door. I need to re-do it bad.

The effort it takes to mask everything off and spray it is VERY worth it. It gives the car a much better look. Guys at shows love it.
                      + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Working...
                      X