Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vigor brake swap - will the whole knuckle swap over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vigor brake swap - will the whole knuckle swap over?

Reason I ask is I'll be replacing pretty much all of my front suspension anyway, so it would be easier for me to just swap in a Vigor knuckle with it's bigger caliper/rotors all in one fell swoop.

If a bearing or two is bad, I'm fine with that. I can just tear it back apart and swap those out. But since I have everything apart I think it's worth a go if the knuckles are the same.
    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Should work fine. I did that with '99 CL knuckles. I got the bigger brake diameter with the rotor over hub and kept the 4 bolt pattern.

If you have the stock drums, do the rear brakes too. When I did it I ended up with too much forward brake bias and the fronts would lock up too easily. Unbalanced brakes really hurt brake performance, and can make it handle badly under braking.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Are the 3.0 CL or Vigor rear calipers larger than the standard CB calipers?
      5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
        Are the 3.0 CL or Vigor rear calipers larger than the standard CB calipers?
        They really won't be that much larger if they are. Honda used almost the same rear caliper across a ton of models in the 90s and early 00s.

Comment

They use the same pads, but the parking brake levers are not the same. The accords have 2 bolt holes and the CLs have 1, and they are a different configuration so not compatible with the cables.
          ==========================
          1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
          1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
          Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
          Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
          M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
          Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
            Reason I ask is I'll be replacing pretty much all of my front suspension anyway, so it would be easier for me to just swap in a Vigor knuckle with it's bigger caliper/rotors all in one fell swoop.

If a bearing or two is bad, I'm fine with that. I can just tear it back apart and swap those out. But since I have everything apart I think it's worth a go if the knuckles are the same.
            Why not go ahead and do the bearings while you already have it apart? Personally I hate it when I have to go back into something because I didn't just go ahead and replace a part when I was already in there.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

I thought about that too. If I'm going to go to the trouble to remove a knuckle from a vehicle, why not address the bearings while it's off?
              So I said to hell with it, I'll just use my old knuckle. I replaced my bearing/humb assembly and put on Vigor rotors while I was at it. Easy peazy.
              I had to do some slight trimming of the dust shield behind them, but I think that was because they were a bit out of shape in the first place.
              Check my ride thread, I've got a pic of them on. And the Vigor calipers work great.
              Last edited by wtfisafleek; 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM.

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791

Comment

FYI for those searching...this swap does work perfectly and everything fits. The Vigor calipers/brackets bolt right up to the Accord stuff. I've been using them for about 6 months(?) and they're worked great. You can tell they're a tad stronger than the stockers, but then again my old calipers were in bad bad shape so I don't really have a good baseline to judge from. They WILL lock up the front tires!

Comment

That's cool, so the Vigro caliper bolts right up the Accord's knuckle?

Is the piston larger on the Vigor caliper compared to the Accord?
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                    FYI for those searching...this swap does work perfectly and everything fits. The Vigor calipers/brackets bolt right up to the Accord stuff. I've been using them for about 6 months(?) and they're worked great. You can tell they're a tad stronger than the stockers, but then again my old calipers were in bad bad shape so I don't really have a good baseline to judge from. They WILL lock up the front tires!
                    Yes because the Vigor and 98-99 CL parts are the same part number. I know because I am ROH as well. I have been this way for almost 2 years. I had these about 9 years ago as well. If all else fails just check part numbers.
                    The CB7 Collector.
                    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                    92 LX Coupe F22A1
                    2013 Toyota Corolla S
                    92 EX Sedan F22A1
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Working...
                    X