No announcement yet.

Distributor vs Coil-on Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to revisit this, except use the the Mazda as the test bed since it still has a distributor. The concepts are the same but the execution is a little different. The RX7 community calls this a DLDFIS conversion. Alphabet soup, I know. It stands for Dual Leading Direct Fire Ignition System...or something like that. I'll probably use OEM Honda coils because I'm familiar with them, plus they are pretty damn good coils imo!

Two, going back and reading this...what the hell was I on lol. No matter, the show will continue!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

While I took a course on most of this and understand it, I'm not "in it" everyday, but I did read all of this. The one thing that corvette forum post triggered was the types of cars and their fuel injection systems. Was COP designed for DFI type style cars? Is a COP on a cb7 defeating the purpose because of how the fuel / cloud forms (and where) in the cylinder.

The obvious answer is that they never had COP in 1990, so the question is....

Is Honda still using a distributor system in any of their engines?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        The one thing that corvette forum post triggered was the types of cars and their fuel injection systems. Was COP designed for DFI type style cars? Is a COP on a cb7 defeating the purpose because of how the fuel / cloud forms (and where) in the cylinder.
        No. Simply because the spark plug location didn't change. The only job of the coil is to provide enough voltage to ionize the air between the electrodes. The engineers design DI around that fact, not the other way around. Spark plugs haven't changed in DECADES. I have an idea to change that and I reallllly should go back to school to study it more

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        The obvious answer is that they never had COP in 1990, so the question is....

Is Honda still using a distributor system in any of their engines?
        Technically yes, but it is now digital

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The plug didn't change but the space the vapor cloud is created in did due to fuel injector placement and piston shapes etc.

Does any manufacture still use old school distributor? (small cars)

Comment

That's true, port vs chamber. It doesn't affect the ignition type though. The spark plug doesn't care what ignition type is feeding it, nor what fuel metering type is being used. There's a good discussion on fuel droplet size, mixture homogeneity, and probability of ignition in what you brought up. I need to dust off my old book for that one lol.

Not even the Mitsubishi Mirage (USA) has distributor ignition. it's probably cheaper for these car companies to run COP too.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ya, i was thinking how Mercs and Jeeps use a dual spark plug config to ensure proper bang bang....
              I was also thinking the primary reason to go to COP is cost. And that no-one enjoys having their igniter / distributor die.

Comment

Working...
              X