EXT: Shaving your Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Shaving your Antenna

Its about time I add a contribution to CB7Tuner .. I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile now.
    I wanted to weld a piece in from underneath originally, but my painter has been nuts busy ...
    + they lost a worker via firing .. Its being resprayed later. I'll be doing the trunk swap to coupe soon ..
    anyway .. I did it today, and thought I'd share it with everyone ...

Pull back the panel that allows you to get to the antenna. Disconnect the antenna cable,
    along with the antenna harness.

They both *pull-out* .. the antenna cable from the dash pulls down, and a small clip on the harness,
    release's the harness connection.

Grab a 10mm socket, ratchet, no need for ext .. (no room neway) and unbolt the bottom bolt .. thats it ..

Well .. it was for me anyhow .. or ummm, was I missing the one ontop? heheh
    Ok ok .. I had to *cut* the cable that pushes the antenna up, and recoils when it's let down..
    owell .. it was fawked anyhow .. and I'm never puttin another one in.
    Besides .. I could'nt figure out how to release, or uhhh .. un-clip the damn thing .. so if anyone knows ..
    feel free to *add* that part in for me lol .. But if you're doin this, chances are ..
    your antenna motor is fawked like mine, or you're never installing an oem antenna again either ..
    So just cut the biotch ..

Ok .. the antenna is out .. and everything is disconnected .. yay ..

The basic tube of bondo and another of hardner .. couple of nice applicators, I used paper plates for a pallete ..
    a few towels, a sanding block, some wet and dry sand paper .. I used anything from 60-220 dry,
    and 320-600 wet .. some (and this blew me away) self adhesive mesh/screen.

This *screen* is easily cut by a pair of scissors .. and actually has a nice *tacky* backside, that stuck well
    to the underside of the wheel-well. The image below is looking up, from inside of the trunk ..
    the antenna hole is shown by the arrow, lightly coated with filler the first time.
    I roughed it up a bit with some 60 grit, to make things bond better. I also ran the sandpaper
    around the inside of the *lip*. Rough it up as best you can ..

This allowed me to apply a nice even coat of filler over it while working in such a cramped space ..
    The self adhesive properties of the screen, along with the two thin coats of filler.. worked out great ..
    I also *concaved* the screen *upwards* from underneath .. Just so I could have less filler in *one* place ..

To Be Cont...

Hana Hou ...
    Tomi
    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 05-30-2005, 10:53 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

I was amazed at how very *thin* the gap was, that needed to be filled .. or should I say .. idk .. lol ..
    difficult to explain but .. I'd compare it to about the thickness/thinness of a *dime* .. ?

I then applied and sanded about three coats of filler/primer/black-check/primer .. etc ... etc ...
    I started by dry sanding with 220, then 240. After the first coat I gave it a light 240 dry hit, a wet 320 grit ..
    and then applied the second filler coat .. thinnnnly ..

Once again, back and forth with a 220-240, then a light wet 320-400 and then, a third application.
    The third application was coated thin also, and I made a few strokes in a *back and forth* motion..
    to solve the issue of any *air bubbles* .. the final sanding was done with a wet 600 grit,
    then primered and sanded, atleast 4 times.

I used both a light *and* a dark primer.. and sanded everything with a sanding block by hand. I dry-sanded my filler, while wet sanding my primer. .. this way I could *see* and *feel* what I was doing ..

After I was finished, I used a semi gloss to seal it til we paint it.

Now I'm ready to take it in to my painter and have um finish my botched up shit .. lol .. nah .. but,
    I did save my guy a lil bit of work .. It took me the better part of 3 hours to do this today ..
    and I dont think it came out too bad at all .. Looks hella better without it .. I'm so ready for the trunk swap ..

Now go and clean up your mess, and put that panel back the way its sposed to go .. and please ..
    do not hold me responsible for any broken and or sore neck and back bones ..
    Hahha.. nahhh.. it wasn't that difficult at all .. but .. seriously ..if you cant handle it..
    take it to a certified auto/body shop thats nearest you.
    Enjoy!

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi
    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 05-30-2005, 11:17 PM.

Comment

fucking looks ugly

jk

looks great

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
      bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

nice man .. looks good
        "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Looks good, yeah, the part that you fill shouldnt be too much. And the sticky bondo screen is perfect for jobs like that.

Comment

Definitely a good solution to the crappy stock antenna...I had been planning on doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
              Looks good, yeah, the part that you fill shouldnt be too much. And the sticky bondo screen is perfect for jobs like that.
              LOL .. so you knew about that *sticky bondo screen huuuuh? I never even heard of it.
              Sure made this job go alot simpler

Thnaks for the cool comments guyz

A Hui Hou !!!
              Tomi

Comment

mine is shaved too! mine is welded in there.. but nice DIY man.

looks good. hollaZ
                Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by rebels
                  mine is shaved too! mine is welded in there.. but nice DIY man.

looks good. hollaZ
                  Thanks Adam .. lol I just got tired of waiting ..+ I've been wanting to do a DIY

A Hui Hou !!!
                  Tomi

Comment

probably the best DIY so far coz the cb7 antenna is hideous.

shaved antenna member #2, are you? haha
                    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by rebels
                      probably the best DIY so far coz the cb7 antenna is hideous.

shaved antenna member #2, are you? haha
                      Man .. I couldnt believe this diy hadn't been done before .. and yeah .. the antenna .. oii
                      It is hideous .. no?

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi

Comment

This is a dumb questions, but how is the radio reception after this? Can it be re-rigged?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                          This is a dumb questions, but how is the radio reception after this? Can it be re-rigged?
                          I now have one that goes in the windshield .. and, it works great
                          and no question is dumb ... well, you know ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                          Tomi
                          Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 05-30-2005, 11:16 PM.

Comment

good job on that DIY shiiiiiit !! u did everythin professionally...haha.. great job !! now u can install an S2000 style antenna!!
                            [IMG]http://img295.echo.cx/img295/702/cb7sohc4mm.jpg

Comment

damn that makes it look even cleaner lol i like it a lot but i don't have the guts to attempt that jus yet
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                              X