So I think I messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I think I messed up

I'm piecing together my ROH swap and figured I might as well upgrade the front rotors and calipers while I'm at it, so yesterday I went and scrounged around the junkyard.

I found what I thought was a correct Prelude but I'm thinking I misunderstood or something because the information is a bit confusing.

The Prelude was a 94 with an H23A1 and a stick, the airbag type said Si, I pulled the calipers and brackets and they are stamped 17CL14VN. Now some people say the VTEC Prelude is the 2.3, but other info says 2.2, some people say the 14VN caliper is for a 282mm rotor but others say otherwise. Rockauto rotors are showing as 262mm...

I'm even sort of confused as to whether or not the 99 2.3CL bearings will bolt straight to a CB7 knuckle...

Please help me beat this dead horse some more. I'm preparing to redo pretty much everything underneath this car and I'd like to get it done really soon its getting cold out now. I can and have spent hours reading old threads but some things are still very elusive, and the time could be better spent actually working on the car.

Thanks guys

I'm not 100% sure about the disc and caliper specifics, but the Si with the H23A1 is the midrange Prelude. Not VTEC (we never got the VTEC H23A in the US, and it never came in a Prelude.) The VTEC model comes with the H22A1.
    You can check on www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to see if you got the right parts. That information will be 100% correct.

Comment

Based on the fact that this is in the braking section (title isn't helpful), I'm assuming that your primary question is in regard to the "upgrade" component of the ROH conversion, and not really with the conversion itself. But then you make mention of the 2.3CL hubs, so I'm guessing you're unclear on that, too.

Anyway, the Prelude VTEC is the only Prelude that offers an upgrade to the factory CB7 brakes. The lower trim levels are going to have the same size brakes that the CB7 came with from the factory. The larger "VTEC" calipers are found on many other cars from that era, as well. Acura Legends, Vigors, TLs, CLs (aside from the 4 cylinder cars) as well as Honda Odysseys, any V6 or wagon Accord also came with the same Nissin calipers. Depending on the rotor thickness you choose to go with, there will be a corresponding caliper bracket, as well. I've detailed the list of cars that had those calipers, as well as their year models, and I'll paste it here if I can find it.

I'm not sure what's confusing you about the 2.3CL hub parts, though. The wheel bearing for that car is the same part as the one from the CB. Since that's all that contacts the knuckle, of course it fits. The hub itself is what's different. The bearing is only recommended as they're not usually usable if the hub is removed because it often takes an inner bearing race with it.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks guys, I just couldnt be sure what I had because I swear there are a thousand threads with a thousand different answers. I have a screen shot on my phone of a guy on a honda forum saying the calipers I have are for an 11 inch rotor.

As far as the hubs are concerned I wasn't sure the bearing on the CL assembly was the same as our cars. I'll be ordering some Dorman assemblies and I'll just knock off the bearings and press on my Timkens since I already have em...

So I'll have to exchange the calipers for another set next Saturday. I saw a 3.0CL while I was there last time I think I'll go that route.

Are Legend calipers more of a pain than its worth? I dont want to have to fiddle with the master cylinder at all.

Again thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by AhYesCB7 View Post
          Thanks guys, I just couldnt be sure what I had because I swear there are a thousand threads with a thousand different answers. I have a screen shot on my phone of a guy on a honda forum saying the calipers I have are for an 11 inch rotor.
          Technically, they can be mounted onto an 11.1 or even an 11.8 inch rotor, if you have the appropriate mounting bracket for that rotor. The same does not hold true for CBs with Akebono calipers.

As far as the hubs are concerned I wasn't sure the bearing on the CL assembly was the same as our cars. I'll be ordering some Dorman assemblies and I'll just knock off the bearings and press on my Timkens since I already have em...
          Make sure you're ordering the correct parts, and that they are 100% for the front. I haven't seen aftermarket 2.3CL hubs ever. Guys have always had to go the OEM route.

So I'll have to exchange the calipers for another set next Saturday. I saw a 3.0CL while I was there last time I think I'll go that route.
          Why not just grab the whole knuckle assembly from the 3.0CL and call it good? Buy a new set of front rotors and bolt it right up to the CB suspension. You'd have ROH brakes and 11.1" rotors.

Are Legend calipers more of a pain than its worth? I dont want to have to fiddle with the master cylinder at all.

Again thanks guys
          Eh, it's a toss-up. The effective surface area of the Legend 2-piston caliper is 2586mm^2 (38 and 43mm piston size). The effective surface area for the Nissin caliper is 2552mm^2. That's a very small difference. The benefit to the Legend caliper is in the distribution of that clamping force over a more spread out surface of the pad. However, whether that advantage is negated by the pistons being in the wrong orientation is a point of contention. Add to that the upside down bleeder and addition unsprung weight and it becomes less of an upgrade. Back when I did it, I would have been lying to you if I told you that aesthetics didn't play some role in the decision to install them. Consider all of those factors and make your decision. There's not a wrong answer.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, was at work all day and just got in from messing with the Accords exhaust unsuccessfully.

I saw in another thread you mentioned that the 3.0 knuckles affected the camber, but more importantly I'm not convinced I need all that. However I have new LBJs and fitting those while the knuckles are off and the car still movable sounds like a big plus.

After just now reading over an older thread that you've posted in I think I'm beginning to understand.

If I'm correct then this should work fine:

CB7 knuckle
            CB7 bearing
            2.3CL hub
            3.0CL 25T bracket
            3.0CL caliper
            3.0CL pads and rotors

I think a lot of the confusion comes from thinking the orientation of the parts cars rotors and hubs is important but it would seem to be irrelevant. Whether or not the car is ROH or HOR the calipers and brackets are interchangeable.

Let me know if I'm on to something, and if that list of components is right. I may pull some knuckles and build the setup in the yard and price it. It'd be nice to do the LBJs while the car drives still, maybe paint the knuckles while I'm at it.

Trying to find a 2.3CL in there to score the damn hubs too!

Comment

Yes, this is one example of a parts list that is sufficient for changing over to a ROH setup, increasing the rotor size to 11.1" and upgrading to a beefier caliper.

Comment

Great score today. I was able to do a straight exchange for the 15VN calipers that I needed and although they didnt have any 2.3CLs in the yard they did have a set of "wheel bearings" on the shelf. I told him Ill take them and he returned with a pair of knuckles with the bearing hub assemblies, ABS wires, and the shields attached. So for 100 bucks I got a pair of 2.3CL full knuckles, not too bad, and saved me the hassle of pulling them myself.

So now I have go and find a set of rotors, pads, and caliper rebuild kits and I think I'm ready to rebuild the whole suspension.

Now all I have to fight with is the rear knuckle bushing for the shocks and the rest is essentially plug and play!

Comment

Working...
                X