Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Short ram intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ram intake?

I found a short ram intake on ebay for $30 with shipping. That is sapposed to give me 5-12 more hp. But I was wondering what the differiance in power is betwen short ram and cold air intakes?

IT WONT GIVE YOU 5-12HP. But it will make your car sound better. Throttle Response is better in an SRI. You get more top end. CAI on the other hand you get more mid range and throttle response is a bit delayed. You can get the SRI off ebay its almost the same as the AEM/Injen...just quality is different. Ive got a generic one in my car anyway it does its job

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

okay... not to sound to much like a dick, but any intake system for $30 i'd personaly run away from. look, it's not the best idea to do your car on the cheap because it will come back to bite you in the ass later... now on the difference on a short ram vs. CAI there are a few differences.

on a short ram you get better and quicker airflow [and for those of you that live where it likes to flood no worrie of bogging your engine out] however you will get hoter air into the inkate manifold... that's where a CIA comes in. colder air but you loose the benifits of more air... it's a trade off, but i'd say go for the short ram
      インテリア Coupe

HighwayStar - /super highway/stunt driving/transport service/fast delivery/
      NightOwl - Nocturnal posting master
      2.0LPlus Crew - Member # 1.5
      Anti-Tree Mafia - stop hitting trees/to young to die
      FG Civic.com

Comment

i agree with specter, a $30 intake probably isnt going to be something you would want on a car. i have a SRI on my accord, and i have noticed the better throttle response, and you really cant tell the power gain until about 3500rpm.

Comment

It won't give you but 1 or 2 hp increase, but it sounds pretty cool.

I ran CAI for a long time. CAI breathes air further away from the heat of the engine bay.

Colder air is denser, therefore more oxygen. More oxygen equals more power.

A common rule of thumb is that decreasing the air intake temperature by 10 degrees F will increase horsepower and torque by 1%. The converse is also true.
          With a CAI, however, you run a greater risk of ingesting water. If you do ingest a significant amount of water you will kill your engine. Water doesn't compress like air does. Therefore when the pistons try to compress the water, well, it can't. And this causes the engine to basically stop dead in its tracks. This is called hydrolocking.
          Hydrolocking occurs when liquid fills a cylinder on the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of a liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine.
          AEM makes a bypass valve which can divert water should such an accident happen, therefore saving your engine from a most certain doom.

A short ram intake is simply a short tube with a filter attached to the end. It remains inside the engine bay and isn't at risk of hydrolock (unless you manage to get the entire nose of your car underwater! ) However, because it resides in the bay and so close to the radiant heat, it breathes much warmer air.

In my personal experience, a CAI is more restrictive, slightly quieter, and gives you less response from the engine/throttle. I prefer the ram, but it would be nice to devise a hybrid type...or at least have a sort of block-off plate/shield in place to give the ram colder air.

Personal preferences! Pick yours and buy a better filter at the same time, and you're good to go!

BTW, some intakes can be setup either way. If you are interested in these, look for the pipes that are joined in the middle by rubber coupling.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_92_EX
            I found a short ram intake on ebay for $30 with shipping. That is sapposed to give me 5-12 more hp. But I was wondering what the differiance in power is betwen short ram and cold air intakes?
            First of all, you WILL NOT get 5-12 hp. More like 1-2. The most significanrt upgrade you will get is an increase in mpg. Short ram will give you response and cold air will give you more power. But i'd be like 3-4 hp. And the most important thing about the intake system is the filter. K&N make good filters, but if you want an intake system w/ a CARB sticker, you can go with AEM or Injen.
            Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by JDMxCB7
              First of all, you WILL NOT get 5-12 hp. More like 1-2. The most significanrt upgrade you will get is an increase in mpg. Short ram will give you response and cold air will give you more power. But i'd be like 3-4 hp. And the most important thing about the intake system is the filter. K&N make good filters, but if you want an intake system w/ a CARB sticker, you can go with AEM or Injen.
              Filter is absolutly the key. You don't want to suck a lot of dirt and crap into your engine. Do not go with a cheap filter on your car.

Side not, after about 30-35mph, the amount of air actually flowing into the engine bay makes cold air intakes insignificant. There is so much air coming in, it isn't nearly as warm as people think when it hits the filter.
              Dan
              For Sale:
              1995 Accord EX wheels with center caps
              4 Lug ITR wheels
              1995 EX complete rear suspension with disc brakes.
              Email me if interested. rawkus2g@hotmail.com

Comment

personally, intakes to me are just piping that make your car sound a little bit better when accelerating.

*keep in mind i myself actually have an AEM CAI*

i think that depending on the piping, 30 bucks isn't a bad deal, and may actually be an alright buy. I mean think about it, all an intake really is, is just piping to let extra air in during higher RPMS...so why should it matter whether or not its an AEM pipe or an un-brand named pipe. A pipe is a pipe and does the same thing. Especially when talking about short ram intakes rather than CAI's, it really doesn't matter even more, since you won't run the risk of sucking in water (CAI = cold air intake = filter is in right wheel well bottom). Some people even have hacked air boxes on here as their intakes and they just slap a filter at the end.

In the end, you really don't need a brand name Short-ram, unless your going to shows and need something to show off. The filter is what counts, and thats what i would spend some money on. Getting a good filter thats breathable is far more important then a name slapped onto a piping.

Also, as others have said you won't get that kind of HP from an intake sadly...i thought the exact same thing when i got my CAI 2-3 years ago, but sadly you only gain some cool sound while accelerating and maybe 1 hp.
                Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by rawkus
                  Side not, after about 30-35mph, the amount of air actually flowing into the engine bay makes cold air intakes insignificant. There is so much air coming in, it isn't nearly as warm as people think when it hits the filter.
                  Dan
                  That's if you have good hood scoops. And I'm talking about REAL hood scoops, not those stick-on Rice scoops, those are just fo sho.
                  RICE COOKA!!

Comment

Originally posted by 92DX
                    That's if you have good hood scoops. And I'm talking about REAL hood scoops, not those stick-on Rice scoops, those are just fo sho.
                    yea speaking of hood scoops my friend drives a plymouth GTX and his hood scoop is bad azz inside he has a switch or something else im not sure and when he flips it the hood scoop pops up and its air going straight into the air filter of his car and what i was thinking how cool would that be on a CB7 i know its possible but it takes some customizing to do it and alot of work but if i ever get the knowledge on how to? i would inform you guys but if anyone else has already done something like this than share it with everyone if not than the idea is out
                    ________
                    BLACK ASIAN
                    Last edited by Davids92Accord; 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                    "2SIIC"
                    Authentic Jerseys for sale
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Out of the two, the cold air would be better for mid range. But its nothing extraordinary. On a stock engine you wont noticing anything spcecial. You need more than one mod.

Comment

Nobody mentioned the ghetto ram. Its in the DIY forum on this site. All you do is buy a filter take off just the air box and stick on your filter. I did and it didn't cost me anything but I stole the filter from my other car. Advance auto parts here has K&N filters for 40 I think. After you buy it you never have to replace it unless it gets really damaged( hole ripped in it) They sell cleaning kits for the filter. I didn't find hardly any power increase maybe throttle response. Its a cheap mod but good none the less.
                        -Nate
                        DIY antenna control
                        DIY ghetto short ram
                        Battery Relocation

New Project
                        1984 BMW 533i =DEAD

Comment

Short ram could be nice in winter, slightly faster warm ups.
                          You'd have to decide if you like the noise of the short ram or not.
                          Its a nifty sound, and can be fun to drive (especially if your muffler falls off ), but I kinda got tired of it personally.

I went with the modified stock air box. I cut the bottom of the silencer (part that's behind the bumper and in-front of the wheel) off, and blocked the tube opening that's right behind the headlight. So both tubes take air from the same area as most CAI setups. The stock setup only intakes air through ONE approximately 2 inch opening, this setup now draws air through TWO approximately 2 inch openings. I've been loving this setup...since its easy and free, and has a small but noticable increase in throttle response, MPG, and mid- to top-end power.

I use a Wix OE replacement filter, BTW.
                          Last edited by Otto; 04-02-2006, 10:07 PM.
                          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
                            personally, intakes to me are just piping that make your car sound a little bit better when accelerating.

*keep in mind i myself actually have an AEM CAI*

i think that depending on the piping, 30 bucks isn't a bad deal, and may actually be an alright buy. I mean think about it, all an intake really is, is just piping to let extra air in during higher RPMS...so why should it matter whether or not its an AEM pipe or an un-brand named pipe. A pipe is a pipe and does the same thing. Especially when talking about short ram intakes rather than CAI's, it really doesn't matter even more, since you won't run the risk of sucking in water (CAI = cold air intake = filter is in right wheel well bottom). Some people even have hacked air boxes on here as their intakes and they just slap a filter at the end.

In the end, you really don't need a brand name Short-ram, unless your going to shows and need something to show off. The filter is what counts, and thats what i would spend some money on. Getting a good filter thats breathable is far more important then a name slapped onto a piping.

Also, as others have said you won't get that kind of HP from an intake sadly...i thought the exact same thing when i got my CAI 2-3 years ago, but sadly you only gain some cool sound while accelerating and maybe 1 hp.
                            Quoted for truth.

I also have an AEM CAI, but it came with the car when I boguht it. Piping is piping, the filter is where you need quality. Get a good K&N filter.

I am thinking of getting an ebay CAI for my mom's honda odyssey.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Try Looking Could not find!!!

ok i was reading this and someone mentioned a Ghetto Short ram that was in the diy forum so i went looking can't find so i was wondering can some on tell me how to make a ghetto short ram thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                              X