Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

running lower offset wheels on a fwd car, info inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timmy0tool
    low offset wheels are doable just like you said in your first post but only to a certain limit of course. i always hated the ITR wheels for having too little positive offset. it doesn't look proportional to the fender at all.

a reason why i don't think some wheels with low offsets won't work is because of the front caliper clearance issue on top of the fender clearance. too much negative offset won't clear the calipers just like too much offset. you have to find a good balance of min and max.

fender clearance can be solved with body work, great fender rolliing diy/how to on vipstylecars.com

the caliper clearance is an issue... that could be solved with a spacer (perhaps larger than the standard 5mm) and shaving of the caliper. the civic pictured in my 1st post has a 17x8 wheel with +25 offset, with no modification... and right now i'm running a 15x7 wheel, +38 offset, with a 5mm spacer with no problems, and a bit more space 'til the fender.

i just think we can get a little more aggressive with our wheel choices than the standard website/tire shop offerings.
    Last edited by uncle_el; 06-12-2005, 02:46 PM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

info lost when the forum went down a few months ago.

super advan ii's (look right)

super advan racing version ii's
      Last edited by uncle_el; 04-05-2005, 08:10 PM.

Comment

to resurrect this thread: can +50 offset fit our cars or is that too much? a 5mm spacer will bring it down to 45mm so that should be tolerable correct?

also what's the widest rim you can stick in our fenderwells? 8"? 9" maybe? just curious .
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Well, just so you know, Prelude SI rims have a 55mm offset. Legends have 65mm. So, yes, they'll fit (at least in terms of a 15" rim). The problem with going from something like a 55 to a 35 is that it increases torque steer by a lot. Trust me. A LOT
          Originally posted by DoctorCipher
          ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

to resurrect this thread: can +50 offset fit our cars or is that too much? a 5mm spacer will bring it down to 45mm so that should be tolerable correct?

also what's the widest rim you can stick in our fenderwells? 8"? 9" maybe? just curious .
            +50 will likely fit without a problem... but that's more of a guess than practical experience. assuming the wheel isn't too wide (8 inches or greater) you should be fine.

as far as wide wheels... i guess it depends on whether you have a lowered suspension or not. if i remember correctly, you have neuspeed race springs (i'm on crappy dial up at the moment, and it would take me too long to check your member's ride thread). with an 8 inch wide wheel, depending on the offset, you may have to roll and/or cut the rear fenders. primocb7 had 17 x 8 wheels with a +38 offset (pictuers earlier in this thread) and needed to cut the rear fenders.

so... i'd think 7.5 inches wide you wouldn't need to roll and/or cut the rear fenders until maybe an offset around +30 (maybe a little lower), an 8 inch wide wheel apparently you'd need to cut it at +38, and a 9 inch wide wheel would likely need the rear fenders rolled and/or cut regardless of the offset).

Comment

so, a little research yesterday.

i took a +32 offset wheel:

added one 5mm spacer to take the offset down to +27. added another 5mm spacer to take the offset down to +22. this brings the wheel out towards the fender, and away from the suspension components.

results:

i wish i had taken better pics, and a ton more at that. in any event, a +22 offset is pretty close to the fender, if it's not completley flush. i think +20, perhaps even +18 would be just at the fender.

now, with an offset this low, you will definitely have to cut the inside of the fender, and likely need to roll the fender. in short, this is not for the faint of heart, but does open the options up if you're brave enough, and want to get away from the "cookie cutter" wheels that are offered for our cars.

thanks to ziggycb7, arrozburner, and timmy0tool for the company and making this happen.

edit: the +22 offset only applies to 15 x 6.5 wheels. i'll try with another set of wheels and see what i get.
              Last edited by uncle_el; 07-07-2005, 12:46 AM.

Comment

here is my addition to this. i have a pair of +58 16x8" volk racing group a on 225/50 tires. these are meant to go on the rear for a staggard setup. since the accord rear suspension requires a different offset (mainly lower than the front), my only option for the time being is to mount these wheel on the front.

the rear knuckles hit the tire as soon as the wheel enters the lugs (meaning there is no room to even thread in a lugnut). the front suspension enables me to use such a wide wheel and tire combo with a wild offset. let's take a look at how close it gets.

with a 5mm spacer the tire here is barely resting against the knuckle! the logo of the tire, in this case bridgestone, directly rubs. so when i drive around the logo hits making an awful sound as i speed up.

the tire does stick out a bit but due to the nature of the double-wishbone suspension, the wheel/tire moves inward as it travels up. it doesn't rub the fender. only when i turn the wheel a bit and hit a nicely sized bump on the road it rubs.

with more negative camber, a reduction in tire width (225 to a 205-215), and a large spacer, i know i will be able to fit these in the rear.
                Last edited by timmy0tool; 07-07-2005, 03:01 PM.
                1cor10:31
                - 92 LX coupe
                - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

here is my addition to this. i have a pair of +58 16x8" volk racing group a on 225/50 tires. these are meant to go on the rear for a staggard setup. since the accord rear suspension requires a different offset (mainly lower than the front), my only option for the time being is to mount these wheel on the front.

the rear knuckles hit the tire as soon as the wheel enters the lugs (meaning there is no room to even thread in a lugnut). the front suspension enables me to use such a wide wheel and tire combo with a wild offset. let's take a look at how close it gets.

with a 5mm spacer the tire here is barely resting against the knuckle! the logo of the tire, in this case bridgestone, directly rubs. so when i drive around the logo hits making an awful sound as i speed up.

the tire does stick out a bit but due to the nature of the double-wishbone suspension, the wheel/tire moves inward as it travels up. it doesn't rub the fender. only when i turn the wheel a bit and hit a nicely sized bump on the road it rubs.

with more negative camber, a reduction in tire width (225 to a 205-215), and a large spacer, i know i will be able to fit these in the rear.
                  you'll have to bring your wheels to the next meet i go to (which might be next week).

using the wheel offset calculator that's available, comparing it to stock specs, the 8 inch wide wheel with a +58 offset is somewhere in the neighborhood of 45mm to 50mm further to the inside ... i.e it's 2 inches closer to the suspension components! you put a 5mm spacer on there (thus lowering the offset from +58 to +53), and the wheel is in the neighborhood fo 40mm to 45mm further to the inside. apparently, that's as close as one can get.

if you want to add a larger spacer, you're going to have to get extended lug nuts because you won't be able to thread the lug nuts down enough to ensure that they're on there properly.

i'm kind of surprised that the tire sticks out that far, but then again all tires are not created equal. for those of you reading, one tire company's 215 wheel may be larger than a second company's 215 wheel. in any event, i'd like to see the face of the wheel compared to the fender, because it should still be inside of the fender, according to specs at least.

it seems safe to say that the highest offset that can be had on the cb7 is a +53 offset (+58 offset + 5mm spacer = +53), and likely it should be +50 at the highest to ensure clearance of the suspension components.

it's clear that more trial and error, err... research needs to be done.

Comment

very educational thread...hahaha...good job guys...wow...if this can be done... i want me some ADVANs too !!! hehehe...

WOW !! EL !! whos CB is that ridin on that nice blue liped rims..hehe.. oh yeah and Timmytool!! good job on the pix..i really learned alot !! A+ for the effort guys !! keep trying new things and sharing it to the CB CLANN !!
                    Last edited by JDMedOUTCB7; 07-08-2005, 03:40 AM.
                    "
                    Fast and cheap won't be reliable
                    Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
                    And fast and reliable won't be cheap
                    "
                    ~EYCEE~

Comment

Originally posted by JDMedOUTCB7
                      very educational thread...hahaha...good job guys...wow...if this can be done... i want me some ADVANs too !!! hehehe...

WOW !! EL !! whos CB is that ridin on that nice blue liped rims..hehe.. oh yeah and Timmytool!! good job on the pix..i really learned alot !! A+ for the effort guys !! keep trying new things and sharing it to the CB CLANN !!
                      we already know that advans can be done, as there are pictures above... and many of the offsets for the advans are low +30s. currently, i have a set of ssr's with a +38 offset with a 5mm spacer on the front, making it a +33 offset, and the wheels aren't near the fender, and i have no problems whatsoever.

the cb7 with black wheels with blue edges/lips is ziggycb7s.

Comment

so positive offset is lessend by adding spacers meaning that a +32 with 5mm spacer is +27.

as for fitting that 8" tire in the front is this optimal? or would it be better to place the wider rim in the rear? i figure since our cars are FWD it would be better to place the wider rim/tire where the grip is needed (that is if it is allowable without sacraficing your suspension.) i guess the only other reasoning behind placing the wider ones in the rear is so that you dont ave any rubbing while turning.

man i wish i was back in cali so i could come down with the rims and get some help from you guys.

but also how would i measure the clearance of the suspension/rim/tire combo under full compression i want to see if any of the parts might possible rub similar to dailydriving cond.

mostly im not worried about the 7" rim any longer.. just the 8" one..

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
                          so positive offset is lessend by adding spacers meaning that a +32 with 5mm spacer is +27.

as for fitting that 8" tire in the front is this optimal? or would it be better to place the wider rim in the rear? i figure since our cars are FWD it would be better to place the wider rim/tire where the grip is needed (that is if it is allowable without sacraficing your suspension.) i guess the only other reasoning behind placing the wider ones in the rear is so that you dont ave any rubbing while turning.

man i wish i was back in cali so i could come down with the rims and get some help from you guys.

but also how would i measure the clearance of the suspension/rim/tire combo under full compression i want to see if any of the parts might possible rub similar to dailydriving cond.

mostly im not worried about the 7" rim any longer.. just the 8" one..
                          while i understand the performance reasoning behind running a wider wheel up front on a fwd car, i think in this case, it's a bit of overkill given that at the end of the day it will look funny, and it's not as though you have a problem with traction on the car. also, grip isn't really going to be an issue except in tight turns... and a 7 inch wide wheel generally does fine.

with that said, if it was me, i'd run the wider wheel in the rear; though again, i understand if you want to run the wider wheel upfront.

the best way to measure the clearance is simply to put the wheel and tire on, and drive on it... it either works or it doesn't. as maya angelou once said "ain't nuttin' to it but to do it".

Comment

http://vipstylecars.com/forum/index.php?topic=1501.0

a little more about fender rolling, and the aesthetics of pushing the wheels out towards the fender. refer to onetonvip's post in the thread above.

Comment

Allright, I'm gonna bump this awesome thread again..hehehe I've been reading this thread for 15mins now, and I think I already have a picture in my mind, but I'm going to ask anyways..

16x7.5" with +35 offset and 205/55/16 tires....Do you guys think that would fit my car ok?? I figured I probably wouldn't have to worry about the tires rubbing against the fender, since my car is not too low to begin with, and these are only 16"..

uncle_el said that 96-spec ITR rims have +38 offset...And I'm guessing the width of 'em is what...6"?? 6.5 maybe?? I can't remember..N e wayz, some ppl on this board run them with super low suspension, and they don't seem to run into any problems...And plus, those who are sporting the ITR wheels need to put 5mm spacers in the front in order to clear the calipers, am I correct? So that means front is pushing +33, and still no problems..

Anyways..I'm jus curious, and I'm hoping I could get some input if possible...Someone local is selling a set of old skool JDM wheels for a decent price, so I might go for 'em I jus want to make sure that they'd fit fine tho..I've been doing some research, and so far so good..But maybe someone can prove me wrong??

hehe thx in advance guys

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                                16x7.5" with +35 offset and 205/55/16 tires....Do you guys think that would fit my car ok?? I figured I probably wouldn't have to worry about the tires rubbing against the fender, since my car is not too low to begin with, and these are only 16"..
                                timmy0tool's wheels are 16 x 8 with a +58 offset, and his problem is clearing the rear suspension components. with his 10mm spacer, bringing the offset down to +48, it works.

you say your car's not low (btw, how low is it?). in essence, the wheels you described are narrower than timmy0tool's, with an easier offset to work with. if you were slammed, then you would have to modify your rear fender.

car's not low + wheels that aren't particularly wide + not a high offset = should be fine. one caveat, depending on how low you are, when you hit bumps in the road or during extreme cornering (ex. turning right on a downhill turn), you may rub- but then again, you'd probably rub with that turn regardless of how big or small your wheels are/were.

uncle_el said that 96-spec ITR rims have +38 offset...And I'm guessing the width of 'em is what...6"?? 6.5 maybe?? I can't remember..N e wayz, some ppl on this board run them with super low suspension, and they don't seem to run into any problems...And plus, those who are sporting the ITR wheels need to put 5mm spacers in the front in order to clear the calipers, am I correct? So that means front is pushing +33, and still no problems..
                                Originally posted by uncle_el
                                we already know that advans can be done, as there are pictures above... and many of the offsets for the advans are low +30s. currently, i have a set of ssr's with a +38 offset with a 5mm spacer on the front, making it a +33 offset, and the wheels aren't near the fender, and i have no problems whatsoever.

the cb7 with black wheels with blue edges/lips is ziggycb7s.
                                my ssr's are 15 x 7
                                jdm integra type r wheels are 15 x 6

Comment

Working...
                                X