No announcement yet.

Dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 3rd party warranty is garbage. If it's not the OEM extended warranty, it's not worth your trouble.

If you get any accessories added to the car (remote start, etc) make sure it's OEM. Yes, sometimes you can install remote starts yourself, but more often than not it will require a trip to the dealer to do final programming. Other items you can decide on your own.
    Certain things are super easy, other things, like accessory body panels that require drilling / etc you might want to let them handle as any damage to car can be addressed prior to purchase. Any non-OEM stuff can be handled via 3rd party at a significant cost reduction. The only advantage to do it through the dealer is the ability to add it to the loan

I don't believe in gap insurance. I understand what it is and what it does, but in my mind if you're not putting enough down on the car to cover the gap, you shouldn't be buying the car.

I agree on looking around at outside financing. I don't think it's necessarily necessary as long as you know what rates you can get. When I've bought my last two Tacomas, my wife's Mazda and Jeep, I knew what rates were available. At the time AAA had the rates to beat. Each time I either beat or met those rates and made it known if I wasn't getting those rates, I was going outside.

In one example (the Mazda) the guy changed the term on me at the last minute and I was grumpy about it. The rate was so low the net change in interest cost was under $20, but it was the principle of things I didn't care for, so I refinanced it soon after purchase and ended up overpaying enough to drop the term a year and keep the payment the same.

I'm a big fan now overall of shopping based on OTD price. I don't care how they handle the accounting of things, but I figure out what I want to pay for the vehicle, what the taxes and dealer fees should be and go from there. Payment is a function of total cost, rate and term, so I don't even bother answering the "what do you want the payment to be?" question.

You'll get em next time!

Comment

That is a good point as well. I never shop for payments, I always ask what’s the out the door price. I usually finance outside but with my wife’s rogue they offered us 0% interest for 60 months and I knew we would pay it off before then vs the 3.2% Navy fed offered. They also threw in a free protected spray on the interior. Yes I checked to make sure they didn’t add the cost. You have to go in there willing to walk away and not show excitement. That is why I use email like I said. Less stressful and pressure and you can do it in your underwear.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        That is a good point as well. I never shop for payments, I always ask what’s the out the door price. I usually finance outside but with my wife’s rogue they offered us 0% interest for 60 months and I knew we would pay it off before then vs the 3.2% Navy fed offered. They also threw in a free protected spray on the interior. Yes I checked to make sure they didn’t add the cost. You have to go in there willing to walk away and not show excitement. That is why I use email like I said. Less stressful and pressure and you can do it in your underwear.
        I bought my truck over FB Messenger (long story).

When I bought the Jeep I simply said this is what I will pay which was a fair price based on what other dealers were offering. If you say no, I walk out the door and don't answer calls, but if you say yes, I sign tonight.

No complaints.

Comment

IMG_20190316_162135 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_162201 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_162208 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161959 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161821 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

imagejpeg_0_1 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161815 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

imagejpeg_0 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161414 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161337 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161448 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161434 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161932 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161918 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161900 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_161945 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20190316_162035 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr
          Last edited by Crankshaft; 03-17-2019, 03:10 PM.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
            Tell them straight up you are only looking at the car and dont want anything else, im mad at the whole situation because i damn near had the cash to buy the car outright or i simply could of waited or gone to a different place for a different car; after all i was looking for a garage queen that will only get weekend action as i have my Corolla for everyday use and my truck for heavy usage. Oh yes and i got caught up in a mustang on mustang race last night, one dude took off on the other and second guy foolishly took chase when i guess he never knew they were racing; my wife looks at me and i told her not to worry im not going for it.
            Well, I'm glad you didn't go for that race. She would have said, "I can't believe you, this is not what we got the car for! Now go back to that dealer and get them to take this back!"

The car looks really good; I'm just bummed that you are probably reminded of the whole fiasco every time you look at it and drive it.

Again, I'm really glad I read this the night before I called and went to the dealer. I would have done a private transaction any day over this, but this is the best manual CM in the whole state right now. I got an out the door price over the phone from what seemed like a nice-ish lady for $6300. For 171k miles, that is a little high, but the car was nice, very nice. Plus, I want that K24A! My mind was made up at that point to get a lower out the door price, stick to my guns, or walk away.

When we got there, she was a little peeved that we were late, but bay area traffic is what it is. The Carfax was provided, and it had been hit in the rear quarter panel and the rear airbags deployed in 2005. They were replaced a few years ago on the report by a Honda dealer, so I was fine. I saw no evidence of a clutch replacement, but it had to have been since new. The test drive was pretty good, but the engagement point was farther out in the pedal action than I was used to, combined with dirty clutch fluid. There was some minor cosmetic stuff, including a cut wire that was redneck spliced and re-soldered.

She was a terrible salesperson, who just seemed mad, like she didn't want to sell the car, but maybe that was all due to what I was pointing out to her. I told her $6000 out the door was my final offer, and she said, "I'm not going to play games with you, this price is blah blah blah..." I told her to go get the final exact out the door price, and that's when she started to cave. I mean, we had been there 90 minutes, and closing time was coming up fast. We agreed on $6100 cash, as-is with no warranties or anything (nothing was offered, but the answer would have been no anyway).

Dealers leave car guys like us walking away feeling yucky quite often. I feel like they would rather just deal with the ignoramus who likes what they see and doesn't care to check what is being thrown in (I'm not claiming that was you at all, Crankshaft; I'm talking about the people who go to the dealer not knowing what they want beforehand, not knowing a fair price beforehand, or not having any negotiating skills). The atmosphere seems to be geared toward the potential buyer just accepting the system and not questioning the process. I hate it, but if you go in there prepared, informed, and with a spirit ready to fight for your price, you will make the right decision, even if that is to drive away in the car with which you drove there.
            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
              Well, I'm glad you didn't go for that race. She would have said, "I can't believe you, this is not what we got the car for! Now go back to that dealer and get them to take this back!"
              I call my wife Vin or Diesel you can take a guess why, i bought her a brand new 18 Camry SE in November and she got a speeding ticket 2 weeks later for doing 75 in a 35; our favorite movie night is when we sit and have a FF marathon and we own all 8 of them. Right now my only concern is paying it off before the year is over and not give them the satisfaction of getting the interest rate too since i did this deal all wrong. I do love the car, she is a pig but as deeve will attest the 6.0-6.2 engine power delivery gets you moving in a hurry and is probably more than i will need.

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                Well, why do you get a coupe with useless back seats but a big engine and great handling, if not to enjoy its performance? She should know at least a little bit of hooning comes with the purchase :P

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  Well, why do you get a coupe with useless back seats but a big engine and great handling, if not to enjoy its performance? She should know at least a little bit of hooning comes with the purchase :P
                  Dude i keep thinking one of these days im gonna come home both her and the car being absent because of a fun trip, i lived thru that with my dad and my old Z28 as he would sneak off with it when i wasnt home; pretty much the opposite of how things usually go. She wanted a Challenger or Charger before she settled on the Camry and used to poke fun at her about how it was in her nature to swarm towards Mopar since its what Toretto drives .

Comment

Working...
                  X