No announcement yet.

SUSP : rear disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow congrats on completing the installation but i would not have installed them until i had all the parts. i know you have an auto so the parking lock can just hold the car but that stresses on that little fork as well as the seals (compression) in your cylinders. so take care of that soon. you never know when an "emergency" will happen and you will need that hand brake (knock on wood). again congrats!

have you considered changing the proportional valve? that will improve the braking as well. just a thought!
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

thanks, your help was invaluable. i'm going to order the e-brake lines this weekend and install next weekend hopefully. i don't like that the ebrake isnt there if i need it.
      And remember kids, if it's wet, it's not a fart.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
      Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors

Comment

Its done!

Here are some pics of what I got done today.
        -Total spent $116
        -Disk setup-$108 local junk yard
        -Brake fluid and brake clean-$8 CSK
        -------------------------------------------
        Removed heat shield and dropped the exahaust for the e-brake cable

Removed braket assembly and cable.

Before with the drums.

After with the disks. Still have to throw up the heat shield and exhaust.

Old setup

New setup

I spent 5 man hours alone and I would have to say this is a pretty simple task for a do it youselfer.
        Last edited by dualacord; 03-30-2006, 03:31 AM.

My ride

Comment

Swwwweeetness. I know you will love it. I know I do. The only problem I am having is what to do with 120 lbs of high tech Honda drums.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

lol

Originally posted by owequitit
            Swwwweeetness. I know you will love it. I know I do. The only problem I am having is what to do with 120 lbs of high tech Honda drums.
            Haha yeah no shit dude I dont even know what Im going to do with my drums either. I will probably just hold on to them or find some who is dumb enough to want them lol. Yeah I was slamming on my brakes to see if there was any difference and I would have to say that all disks brakes kick ass dude.
            peace dude.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Anybody interested in some drums.

My ride

Comment

alright, so ive been reading this, and according to the information ive found, i can only do the rear disc conversion by using junkyard parts. I hate to say this but around my area there are never any cars newer than 1980 in the junkyards. and if there are, theyre already stripped.im doing a 5 lug swap/rear disc conversion. the 5 lug is pretty straight forward, i just need the rotor/hub to do it. for the rear disc conversion im having a couple issues. exactly what parts do i need? i have rear calipers, rear rotors, and the hubs. am i going to need trailing arms? hydraulic lines? i need a list of what i need so i can go into honda tomorrow and order everything.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

if you look at page 4 you will find a diagram of the drum setup and the disc setup. you might (don't know what you've bought so far) have a the parts you need already.
                And remember kids, if it's wet, it's not a fart.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
                Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors

Comment

In addition to what you already have, you will also need the rear knuckle from a rear disc CB7. The drum knuckles DO NOT have an accomodation for the rear caliper mounting.

Some people claim that 94-97 knuckles also work, but everyone I have run across places the lower control arms an additional inch apart. You can't get around that without machining the knuckle or changing the rear subframe. I have seen internet DIYs that did successfully use a 94-97 set of knuckles with no modification, so it is likely that there were just two slightly different rear suspensions.

If you are doing the rear 5 lug, it may also be possible to use the rear knuckles from a 1997-2001 Prelude.

There is a DIY on it here somewhere... I will see if I can find it.

The brake lines are different, so you will probably need those, and the e brake cables as well.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                    In addition to what you already have, you will also need the rear knuckle from a rear disc CB7. The drum knuckles DO NOT have an accomodation for the rear caliper mounting.

Some people claim that 94-97 knuckles also work, but everyone I have run across places the lower control arms an additional inch apart. You can't get around that without machining the knuckle or changing the rear subframe. I have seen internet DIYs that did successfully use a 94-97 set of knuckles with no modification, so it is likely that there were just two slightly different rear suspensions.

If you are doing the rear 5 lug, it may also be possible to use the rear knuckles from a 1997-2001 Prelude.

There is a DIY on it here somewhere... I will see if I can find it.

The brake lines are different, so you will probably need those, and the e brake cables as well.
                    the CD knuckle is an inch longer, but i can work with the lower arms on a CB, as long as you have the longer bolt from a CD. Also, CD e-brake cables are too long to operate correctly, so stick with CB cables and everything should go smoothly.
                    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord
                      the CD knuckle is an inch longer, but i can work with the lower arms on a CB, as long as you have the longer bolt from a CD. Also, CD e-brake cables are too long to operate correctly, so stick with CB cables and everything should go smoothly.
                      When I had the CD knuckle, a longer bolt wasn't going to solve the problem. The front lower control arm lined up perfectly, but the rear control arm wanted to sit on the OUTSIDE of the rear subframe. That is where the change of rear subframe came in. You can either machine an inch off of the knuckle, so that the rear lower arm will sit in the right spot, you can change the rear lower subframe, which supposedly bolts up, so that you can accomodate the 1 inch spacing difference, or you can get a CB rear disk knuckle. A longer bolt wasn't going to solve the problem.

Also, the CD ebrake cables that I had bolted up to the CB chassis perfectly...

Comment

Odd... my swap used CD5 rear knuckles mated to my cb7 control arms and the only thing i needed was the longer bolt. If I was with my car i would photograph it and upload the pics.(spring break is next week, i'll have time to take photos) But, given my experience, CD knuckles can be used with the CB7 subframe.
                        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Like I said before, there appears to be two different versions of CD rear suspensions. Mine wasn't going to fit a CB and there are people who have said that theirs did. Mine were from a coupe, although I have also seen at least one four door with the odd spacing as well.

Comment

Do you have problems finding replacement pads??? I called my local Advance Auto and they said they dont carry rear pads for the 90-93 accords.
                            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
                              Do you have problems finding replacement pads??? I called my local Advance Auto and they said they dont carry rear pads for the 90-93 accords.
                              No problems at all.

My ride

Comment

i just did my conversion on the car today. the rear knuckle assemblys cost me 75 bucks, and it took an hour and a half to install them. i also got the ex rear swaybar and threw that on there also. pretty slick swap if u ask me. brakes seem better too.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

Working...
                                X