H311RA151N : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dreamability View Post
    Hey. Was just going through the members ride threads and getting caught up.
    Was pretty excited to see someone else on the forum getting a channel started.
    Your so right, Its absolutely a ton of work filming while working.
    Then loads of files and hours upon hours of editing.
    But the end result is worth it especially when it helps or inspires someone else.
    Its fun too, lol
    I actually think your videos where done really well.
    I'm subscribed. Keep at it and thanks for awesome work.
    Thank you! Subscribing to your channel now (if I already haven't). I don't care much for my previous videos. But that's ok. Just wait until the next videos come out. Night and day difference in video quality and overall content.

Comment

I'm old school and will just visit your ride in here

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        I'm old school and will just visit your ride in here
        That's cool too! I am not going anywhere. If only photbucket and others didn't screw us.

Comment

I ordered a new timing cover set, radiator cap, alternator and power steering pump belts. Hopefully I will have them all installed next weekend.

Also, now the rear passenger side brakes are grinding. I assume the pads are worn down and I'd metal on metal with the rotors in the rear. This is sort of neglect on my end in a sense however I was planning on doing a full brake replacement this year.

So I will be getting a set of Brembo rear rotors, Cardone calipers and installing a set of Wagner pads I already have. I will be keeping and rebuilding the current calipers
          to save.

Comment

Brembo rear rotors are on the way as well as the calipers. Also, I picked up a set of stainless rotor screws and a Vessel 125943 908 P3x150 Impact screwdriver.

Our rear rotors do not use phillips screws. They are JIS.

The rear pads I have are Beck/Arnley Axxis organic pads. I purchased them in 2018 for this car just never installed them.

Comment

I installed the new timing covers and belts.

I will add that after having a squealing belt, cleaning the ribs of the pulleys was critical. I used a pick, wire wheels finished with a wipe down of foaming engine degreaser.

The Dorman timing cover set from RA was adequate however I had to use "Right Stuff" from Permatex to make it work. And an entire roll of electrical tape followed with installation and compressing once starting to cure.

The seal / gasket would be impossible to get on. It's formed very poorly. I used a bit of right stuff 90 minute gasket maker then held together with electrical tape while it cured. You have to be careful or it will act like a shim. And, it will push the cover into the crank pulley and belt which is what happened on the OEM cover. Once it cured enough to be tacky I removed the electrical tape which was compressing the seal/gasket and installed it. And it's about 1/8" or a little more away from coming in contact with the crank pulley at it's closest point which is plenty.

I installed new Bando belts. Again. And no more squealing. The timing belt, balance shaft belt and all seals are looking excellent. It's been 150 miles so I'm really pleased. The timing belt procedure is done. I'll worry about it again in 70k miles which will be 305k.

I have the brake rotors, calipers, pads and stainless rotor screws to install on the rear in about 2 weeks. So that's next. The passenger side rear is grinding more frequently. So it'll be nice to have new brakes all the way around now.

After that, in about a month or the first part of May (life permitting) I will be replacing the A/C line that has a hole and getting the A/C finalized.

It's coming along! Taking videos of everything to edit and get out once the world starts putting itself together. I can't spend the $ on a laptop right now. It's going to he a while. But I do have everything recorded.

Comment

I installed new brake rotors, pads and calipers on the rear.

The screws that fasten the rotors to the hubs were missing and one was broken off. It took some time but I got everything on.

I removed the rear lower control arms in the process as that was the only way I found to remove the lower caliper bolts.

Anti-siezed everything. Glad to have thos done.

Comment

So, a lot has happened. I'll try to stick to the basics.

I bought another CB7 for parts. I picked up a 93 EX auto sedan in arcadia green for $250. It has optional wheels, armrest, factory fog lights, some kind of dealership card holder on the gauge cluster and some other things I'm forgetting.

Sat for 1 or 2 years.

It has a seal out. Probably the balance shaft seal. Loses oil quickly.

It was listed @ $500 but then "the fuel pump went out" so I got it for $250. I drove 5 hours to get it. Brought it home and threw a repaired main relay in it and drove it into the garage.

I'm switching all my stuff out for it's better parts.

-All keys locks with OEM master key. That's huge. ALL locks.

-Rear deck cover, speakers and third brake light. Mint.

-Near mint headliner.

-All seats are awesome. I'm swapping them over. It has a drivers arm rest too. Huge win.

-It has a factory stereo. It says "code". I've never had one.

-Antenna mast. Another hard to get win.

-Factory fog lights. Factory installed. Already removed them yesterday. In great shape.

It has some optional wheels. I dont care for them. They are 15s. Aluminum. Leaving them on.

I've literally removed everything already except the front seats and the rear bumper. I'm going to fix the balance shaft seal, install a retainer, new Gates timing belt I have and leave the balance shaft belt off.

I'm just going to fix it enough to make it to the Accord graveyard back home. 450 miles. It will be used I'm sure.

This car (the 92 ex) just got a lot nicer. Factory fogs and everything. Pretty stoked.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-29-2020, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Damn, I'm jealous. I almost picked up a nice SE sedan for somewhere around $500 that had fogs and an awesome interior. I was talking to the guy, it sounded like it was going to work out, but he was so slow in responding to me and then he finally gets back to say it was sold before I could arrange a meet.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                      Damn, I'm jealous. I almost picked up a nice SE sedan for somewhere around $500 that had fogs and an awesome interior. I was talking to the guy, it sounded like it was going to work out, but he was so slow in responding to me and then he finally gets back to say it was sold before I could arrange a meet.

An SE. That would've been a score. Especially for $500.

I was really lucky. And it all started with a skateboarder jumping on my hood last week. Lol

I was pissed. Obviously. But, it turned into a win.

And, I called my insurance company. I had a 300k policy with every addition you could possibly have on the Talon with only a $100 deductible. I have Geico. I did the same with the Accord now. It was $76/mo before and $90 now. If you can get it, I have it on my policy. You have to have full coverage to live where I live. And I knew better. But the next time I'm good. Just $100 bill. Still would suck but beats covering it on my own.

I'm way over insured. But I'm not dealing with this again. I got a whole other car out of it this time. But I'd rather turn it into insurance next time.

Comment

Gotta love people who don't know cars sometimes. "Gosh, the engine's toast, the car must be completely worthless now."

I'm with Geico as well, although I was planning on just putting mine on liability insurance. I didn't think they'd do anything for a car that's not worth much on the market, if it was wrecked or stolen. Figure I'd leave the real "insurance" up to upgrades to the car's own security. Alarm, keyless entry with deleted front door lock cylinders (wagon still has the tailgate entry for emergencies), oddball wheel locks, locking hood pins, hidden kill switches...
                        Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-30-2020, 09:40 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                          Gotta love people who don't know cars sometimes. "Gosh, the engine's toast, the car must be completely worthless now."

I'm with Geico as well, although I was planning on just putting mine on liability insurance. I didn't think they'd do anything for a car that's not worth much on the market, if it was wrecked or stolen. Figure I'd leave the real "insurance" up to upgrades to the car's own security. Alarm, keyless entry with deleted front door lock cylinders (wagon still has the tailgate entry for emergencies), oddball wheel locks, locking hood pins, hidden kill switches...

They did that to this one! This MRT car. I bought the other car (93 ex) for its hood. Lol Primarily anyhow. It happened at work. It used to be a 90s thing. Ollie onto someones hood.

So I got the the whole car for $250. Matching colors interior & exterior.

Honestly, I think these cars in good condition are probably valued at about $1500 as far as insurance goes. Or that's been my experience anyhow. So if it's damaged beyond like what, $750? It's considered totalled. I can't remember the percentage of total value before it's totaled anymore but that's how it works. Or has for me both times in the past.

In the past I just named the replacement price and held my ground until the end if the year. The theory on that is insurance companies like to clear their books the best they can before the new year. Both times I got within $200 of my asking price. $1200 once and $1500 the other I think. It's been several years.

Obviously I upped the policy because of the increased chances vandalism. Which is most likely to happen. So either it gets fixed or I get a check for replacement cost if something happens again. And I would just opt to keep the car (or buy back) for a couple hundred dollars to use as parts for the next one. For me that's my best bet. Still sucks but much better than being out everything if it gets vandalized again. Or totalled or whatever. That's my ideas or plan on it anyway.

I like your line of thinking. The Talon has a couple modernized security features similar to what your referencing. Things like that are pretty neat. It's really fun to think up and design deterrent and anti theft devices.
                          Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-30-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

We had full coverage on old Lola when she was stolen. I took $14,000 in receipts and links to MRT, on the guys desk. I think he shit in his pants a little bit. Our deductible at the time I think was $800 or $1000. I got paid $8800 for old Lola. I had to eat the deductible and also the buy back of the car. So I think I got something like $6300 cash. I stood my ground for months with them. I should have and could have waited until the end of the year. It really is worth the extra cost per month if something does happen. Hell Lola now has better coverage and literally lives in the garage except when I drive it.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                              We had full coverage on old Lola when she was stolen. I took $14,000 in receipts and links to MRT, on the guys desk. I think he shit in his pants a little bit. Our deductible at the time I think was $800 or $1000. I got paid $8800 for old Lola. I had to eat the deductible and also the buy back of the car. So I think I got something like $6300 cash. I stood my ground for months with them. I should have and could have waited until the end of the year. It really is worth the extra cost per month if something does happen. Hell Lola now has better coverage and literally lives in the garage except when I drive it.
                              I don't know if waiting to the end of the year really works or not. It's been said quite often in reference to dealing with insurance companies. I go with it because I don't know anything else to do. Other than drag it out as long as possible. Which may be where it actually makes the difference. Idk. Hence why I love CB7's so much. I can get into savings and be able to buy one in an afternoon and not get hurt.

I'm the same way with the Talon and it sits in the garage. It gets driven maybe 15 days a year on average.

I work with someone who has lost two cars valued at about what your Lola is valued at. I could've cried for him when I heard that the buy back price was a few thousand. I was going to get him a come up on the deal until they came back with that number.

I once paid $200 to buy back one CB7 and $300 the other time.

Also, I never ever leave the car in a towing yard. I have them towed home. Out of pocket or whatever. If you think you might want to buy the car back if you think its totaled you will screw yourself by having it sent to a towing yard. Seen that happen to several people. And I've worked for a wrecker service.

Comment

With the radio serial number, your Honda dealer can give you the code. They used to want to see proof of ownership or see the radio itself. My local dealer parts guys know me well enough that all I have to do is call with the serial number.
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X