Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is this a bad wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a bad wheel bearing?

Hey CB7Tuners

Ive been lurking in the shadows for awhile gettin tech info from you guys, but I figured its as good a time as any to make an account for this post.

At speeds above around 40mph my 91 manual cb7 is making a humming noise. this noise varies with the speed of the car, not with engine speed. It also gets worse on sweeping right turns.

All of this seems to point towards a bad front drives side wheel bearing. However, I jacked up the car today and there was absolutely zero play on the drivers side wheel (or any of the wheels for that matter).

Furthermore, I jacked the drivers side up, and put it in 5th gear with the engine on to try to get the noise to come on, but I didnt hear anything over the crapload of gear noise coming from my poor differential.

It’s worth mentioning that I think the noise is coming from the front left but my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat thought that it’s coming from the right side of the car.

Also, I noticed that front tires had inner wear.

Is there any further tests I can do to diagnose the problem? Does it sound like a wheel bearing (even with no play in the bearing) or do you think its something worse like a tranny bearing?

Thanks

Even though the bearing isn't showing signs of play yet, it doesn't mean that it isn't bad. I had one that I just replaced on a '99 TL that didn't have play but had some metal worn out and a hitch in the plastic guiding. After replacing it the owner couldn't even believe the difference in the feel of driving the car. Same for the passenger wheel bearing on our '09 Pilot. Was starting to make noise and such even more so on certain sweeping corners. No play, but after replacement no more noise.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Jacking it up takes the weight off the bearing so it is less likely to make noise unless really bad. Bad alignment doesn't help. The bearings I've had go bad usually started made a high pitch squeal when turning. How many miles on the car? Original bearings? What kind of shape are your brakes in? If it is time for rotors, take the opportunity for new bearings both sides (and probably lower ball joints if they have a lot of miles).
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The car’s got 190k and as far as I know the bearings havent been changed. The rotors look kinda “grooved” and could use a replacement next time the brakes go bad, but the pads still look like they have some life in em.

But theres no sign of a high piched squeal when turning, just a increase in volume of the low humming noise on sweeping right turns.

Comment

I think I've only had one bearing go bad before that kind of mileage. Just for fun - and it's easier than changing a wheel bearing - how it the fluid level in your transmission?

I've also had a set of tires that made me think I had bad bearings or that the differential was bad.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I’ll check it next time I get the chance but I checked it a couple of months ago and it was still full.

If I recall correctly, the noise was present when i got the car, but I feel like it’s gotten worse over the year and a half Ive owned it.

When I got the car, the transmission was filled with regular motor oil. I changed the fluid using honda mtf because I heard its healthier for the transmission. Would this screw anything up in there?

One more reason to suspect the wheel bearing is that about 5 months ago, I got in an accident involving a barrier on the freeway. To avoid rear ending someone, I had to steer into a barrier on my drivers side. It didnt seem to do any damage to anything but my hubcaps so I think the bearings may have taken the full grunt of it. But it seems like something like that would cause play in the bearing?
            Also, (I think) the noise was there before the accident.

Comment

Sorry for the double post but I uploaded a video of the sound to youtube:

https://youtu.be/TT57Dw9E6Mw

You can hear it best around the 13 and 27 second mark when I’m going around sweeping right turns.

Comment

So I checked the tranny fluid, its still full. Should I just do the wheel bearings? Anything else I should check?

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to rotate the tires to see if the noise changes. It would be a good idea to replace your rotors if they are grooved, you are right there anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X