Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Accord LX Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aventari has been lots more busy with his race car than I have with ours.

Last weekend I finished up all the wiring. Dennis made a little panel to mount the cutoff switch and the pushbutton starter. I had to puzzle out the back of the old key ignition switch. I couldn't find a diagram in my shop manual pdf on my phone. The black wire with the white stripe was the starter wire. I decided to keep the ignition switch and hid it under the "dash" so we can turn it off as a theft deterrent (or maybe it was just easier to stuff it under there than it was to cut it off and connect all the wires, because I can't imagine someone trying to steal it.

The moment of truth came when I tried to start it. Nothing happened. That didn't surprise me at all. The chances that I had gotten everything right seemed pretty small. After puzzling over it for a while, it occured to me that I might want to try it with the clutch pedal depressed. That did the trick. It started right up! Yay!

Tedd finished re-mounting the seat, so he and Dennis fit in it. It's perfect.

The tranny is the next big step. My lower back is telling me I'd better get my team mates to do the heavy lifting.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
      Aventari has been lots more busy with his race car than I have with ours.
      Only because I have a race in 3 weeks

I recommend you remove the clutch safety switch and short the wires together. If it ever fails or one of your drivers forgets about, you could have a really annoying troubleshooting session in the middle of a race when everything is happening at once and you forget about the switch!

What seat are you running? Do you have a seat-back brace?

Comment

That's probably a good idea to bypass the clutch switch. We had to fix and then replace the brake light switch during a race once. That was annoying.

We have a Corbeau that came with the new car, I don't know what model. It is not a halo seat though. It is nicer than the blue one that was in the Minnow. Once we confirmed that each of our team's fattest asses (Mine and Dennis') fit in it, Tedd took on the re-mount project. The seat was on a slider that made it a few inches higher that it needs to be, and it put you in an upright position like a bus driver. We got that out and he re-used the bracket we made for the other car, with new holes, to bolt it down. He added some rake and the back now touches the bar behind the seat, so no need for a seat back brace. I tested it out last weekend and I loved the seating position. We are planning to enter the Buttonwillow race in August.

This year I'm going to try harder to get registered for Lucky Dog's Laguna Seca race. Racing there has been a fantasy since I was about 15.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Oxygen sensor in the f22a1 cars and the f22a6 cars? Ours is an f22a1 with and f22a4 header and downpipe and I need a new one.
        Last edited by ukemike; 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM.
        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

Out with the old...

In with the new? in with the other old? uh... In with the better!

The trans that was in there was a normal accord trans. The clutch was slipping and stinking up the world whenever we drove it. Now we have our M2A4 (which has a lower final drive and closer ratios than the accord transaxle) and it also has a Cusco clutch type LSD!

Comment

That transmission is going to make a world of difference!

Cusco is the only manufacturer that makes an aftermarket LSD for my eventual application, and it is also a clutch type 1.5-way. I'm anxious to hear how yours works out.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              That transmission is going to make a world of difference!

Cusco is the only manufacturer that makes an aftermarket LSD for my eventual application, and it is also a clutch type 1.5-way. I'm anxious to hear how yours works out.
              I found ours on ebay. The guy I bought it from was in a small city in Russia about 100 miles from the Mongolian border. It was a hell of a deal.

We've been using that trans and lsd in the the old car for some time now. It was totally game changing. There was a whole bunch of cars that out power us and used to just pass us with impunity. We get so much more traction out of the corners which means a huge head start, particularly out of really slow corners. We also loooove the lower final drive. We used to reasonably be able to drive the whole course at Sears Point in third, except exiting turn 11. Now we can make use of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th! That means we can keep the motor in the power band much better. I swear it was better than adding 20 hp.

Today Jason, Tedd, my wife and my son all pitched in and we painted the car black. This is in prep for our new theme, which shall remain a secret for now.

We painted using a 50/50 mix of rustoleum flat and rustoleum semi-gloss, with a little white in there to keep it from being completely black. We diluted it with about 1 part acetone to about 2-3 parts paint and rollered it on with foam rollers. The thinned rustoleum is supposed to flow enough that it smooths out pretty well. In full sun it dried so fast that it was leaving tracks from the roller. It's black but it ain't pretty. But we got it done in about 4 hours.
              Last edited by ukemike; 07-07-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I've never actually seen anyone that has the Cusco LSD on any H/F trans let alone in a cb. I just keep seeing quaife, wavetrac, mfactory, and OBX.

Sucks you didnt get a picture of what that diff looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  I've never actually seen anyone that has the Cusco LSD on any H/F trans let alone in a cb. I just keep seeing quaife, wavetrac, mfactory, and OBX.

Sucks you didnt get a picture of what that diff looked like.
                  Oh, I have pictures. I spent several days studying all the different ways it could be configured before I assembled it. It is a steel football sized chunk pure awesome.

I'll dig up some of the photos and post them here later.

Comment

Whats your next race? Heading to Buttonwillow with Lemons this year?

Comment

For some reason that I'm missing, I'm having trouble linking to photos right now. So I made a page on my race blog with photos of the internals of the LSD.

https://picknpullracing.wordpress.co...-differential/

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
                        Whats your next race? Heading to Buttonwillow with Lemons this year?
                        We are heading to Buttonwillow. It'll be our first time there.

Comment

Awesome! I missed the deadline yesterday, but I emailed today and I'm sure they'll let us sign up late.

I'll be there with my brother (who's a stunt driver, he's the main driver/coordinator for John Wick 1/2 and Baby Driver and a bunch of other movies) and some of his stunt driving friends.

I can't wait to meet you guys, should be a great time! Lets try and set up our pits next to each other.

Buttonwillow is pretty much my home track so since it's your first time you should check out my videos for the right lines to take in the Accord.

Hows the new car coming along?

Comment

This will be awesome to see you both out on the same track together!
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
                              Awesome! I missed the deadline yesterday, but I emailed today and I'm sure they'll let us sign up late.

I'll be there with my brother (who's a stunt driver, he's the main driver/coordinator for John Wick 1/2 and Baby Driver and a bunch of other movies) and some of his stunt driving friends.

I can't wait to meet you guys, should be a great time! Lets try and set up our pits next to each other.

Buttonwillow is pretty much my home track so since it's your first time you should check out my videos for the right lines to take in the Accord.

Hows the new car coming along?
                              Fantastic news! It should be fun. I seem to recall you raced your accord at Sonoma once. What was your team fast lap? We can make competing highlights videos of all the times we see or pass each other on the track.

The car really isn't coming along at all. I owed my family a vacation, that ate last weekend. My son was Seymour (the star) in a local production of Little Shop of Horrors. My Dad came to town to see it and we saw every show. That ate up a weekend. I had to work most of a weekend before that. I got a few minor things done that saturday. It does drive, but right now it would not pass tech inspection. I've got part of tomorrow set aside and most of sunday. I hope to get some of the big items off the to do list.

Tedd needs to get a new harness bar welded in. That's the main thing I worried about. We lowered the seat from the previous owner and now the harness bar is above the seat shoulder holes and lemons rules require that the straps go straight back or as low as 15degrees down. Other than that we have a variety of prep tasks and I want to install a fire suppression system.

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                                Fantastic news! It should be fun. I seem to recall you raced your accord at Sonoma once. What was your team fast lap? We can make competing highlights videos of all the times we see or pass each other on the track.
                                I never took the Accord to Sonoma, I've just raced there with our GoPro BMW E28 a couple time. I dodn't remember the fastest lap, but it was fast because that BMW had at least 225hp lol

Yeah I can't wait to get the video

Comment

Working...
                                X