This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car care FAQs

What is the difference between a polish and a wax?
    Polishes contain compounds (abrasives) designed to remove scratches from the surface of your paint, while waxes protect your car with a clear, hard coating. Waxes can be either synthetic or natural, though high-grade carnauba wax delivers the best combination of lasting protection and deep gloss. Polishes provide the “shine” for your paint, while waxes provide the “protection.”

How often do I need to wax or polish my car?
    It depends on environmental elements your car typically endures. If your vehicle is kept garaged on a daily basis, then a polish or wax can last as long four to six months. If your car is kept outdoors under harsh conditions, then it will need to be waxed as often as once a month.

What is a Sealer and Glaze?
    When applied before waxing, a Sealer and Glaze helps hide minor scratches, spiderwebbing, swirl marks and other surface imperfections. It enhances clarity and shine, while giving paint that deep, wet look. If left unprotected, a Sealer and Glaze will not last long. It therefore needs an immediate coating of protective wax to truly have long lasting benefit.

Why can’t I use household cleaners to wash my car?
    Household cleaners like dishwashing detergent are specifically designed to dissolve grease. Because wax is essentially a grease, household cleaners will remove your car’s wax finish; leaving you with little shine and no protection. Also, some household detergents have micro-fine abrasive in them. These can permanently scratch your car’s surface. Always use a premium quality, commercial liquid car wash. They are formulated to dissolve dirt and grime without removing your car’s beautiful wax finish.

What about once-a-year wax and polish products?
    Your car deserves better than once-a-year products.. A regular regimen of washing and waxing pays enormous dividends for years down the road. The intrinsic weakness of once-a-year products will become painfully apparent as the years pass.

Can I wax my vehicle in the sun?
    Not recommended. When your paint’s finish gets hot, it ”bakes” the wax, hardening it to a point where it can be difficult to remove. Try early morning or late afternoon when the sun’s at a low angle, or try pulling the vehicle under a tree or into the shade of a building.

How often should I wash my car?
    As often as you can. i can get away with not washing for weeks because i use an instant detailer to wipe the car as it gets dirty.

What is a Clay Bar?
    Clay bars are used to remove contaminants from painted surfaces that washing and waxing alone can't remove. If you can feel bumps in the paint after washing and drying, chances are you’ll benefit from using a clay bar. always wax afterword.

My wheels have dulled — how can I make them look good again?
    stock wheels: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=polishing
    this may not apply to eveyone depending on your wheel finish. chrome(chrome polish), uncoated aluminum (mother's mag and aluminum polish), clear coated (clear coat wheel polish, plastic polish can also be used because the clear coat is platicized).

Is liquid wax easier to use than paste wax?
    No, not at all. With today’s modern formulations, paste waxes are just as easy to use as liquids. And, they’re more economical. A can of paste wax will often last through twelve or more applications, while liquids frequently are used up after four or five applications.

What about those free car washes at the gas station?
    Many of those car washes use mechanical brushes which can damage your paint surface and the water is often recycled.

What type of towel should I use to dry my car?
    cotton microfiber towels. you can dry an entire car with only one or two towels.

don't use a chamois, they create swirls.

If a little car wash soap is good, is a lot better?
    read the mixing instructions. too little and the soap won't lubricate dirt, too much and it will leave a film on your car.

Is it a good idea to put a “thick coat of wax” on your vehicle before winter?
    no, it will only waste product and be harder to remove. the final coat of wax is only a few mils think and can't be made any thinker.

Are silicone car care products a bad thing?
    Not necessarily. It’s the TYPE of silicone that’s important. Some low grade silicones are not ”body shop friendly,” meaning they cannot be removed with standard paint prep like Prepsol or Acrysol.

i took questions i get asked a lot and some from other detail forums and put then here. add more if you want and i'll answer the best i can. later.
    Last edited by uncle_el; 09-16-2006, 12:21 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

good stuff to know....

Comment

ill add it to the wiki wiki wiki

http://www.cb7tuner.com/wiki/index.p...l_Car_Care_FAQ
      Last edited by Accord R33; 09-13-2006, 11:15 PM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

thanks type g for writing that/finding that information, its very useful and interesting
        Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Lots of very good information. I just found this thread while searching for how often to wax my CB. Found my answer. I figured I would find it in a thread started by TypeG, the cleaning wizard. Keep up the good work man. Later.

Comment

Good work Type G. Always there with the cleaning answers. Thanks.
            Click for my ride thread.

Comment

is the wax from the car wash good?

Comment

Originally posted by Lroy onDA scene
                i'm not sure what car wash wax you're referring to.

i find with detailing it's more technique than a magic potion.

however, you should do a little research before buying a wax to make sure it doesn't have certain type of low-grade silicones. later.

Comment

are those DIY car washes bad? The ones with the heavy duty sprayer and toggle soap switches?

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                    are those DIY car washes bad? The ones with the heavy duty sprayer and toggle soap switches?
                    when i use those, i bring all my supplies in my trunk (ie: wash mitt, soap, water bucket, towels, ect.)

i pretty much use only their water supply and even their water supply is recycled in most cases.

i would imagine that their soap is a bit more harsh than i'd like...more industrial, so i use my own. later.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                      thats exactly hwat i meant

Comment

Originally posted by Lroy onDA scene
                        you mean triple foam?

Comment

I never use any wax from the car wash. The only thing I use is soap and the washer thats it. If I have time I wash my car at home when I have my own water supply. Over in IL I do not have that luxury so I have to go to the coin wash to wash the car. The only thing I have handy usually is just my drying cloth and some microfiber towels. I drive back to my place then wipe down whatever water remains out of the car, wax, apply rain x to the windows, and call it a day after that.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

this is a very useful thread .... thanks TypeG ....

My Cm7

My Cb7 (DD)

Comment

Okay type G-good facts to know...

what instant detailer do you use when your car gets dirty (I would like to try it out)

And what is a good brand of the Sealer and Glaze? would like to know as well. Thanks so much!

PROJECT: EIEN (Eternity, Endless) in progress...

"What's the point of a race?- Just means you're faster...that's all. If I have to race, it should be for something important..."

"What Is A Man Who Cannot Prosper and Better What He Owns?"

Comment

Working...
                              X