X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handbrake Release Button Replacement

Part Name: Knob, Parking Brake Push Rod
    Part Number: 47142-671-010

Availability: As of April 03, 2023 these (along with all CB7 OEM parts) are getting scarce. Several sources report either back-ordered or discontinued.
    I personally contacted Majestic Honda and they inform me these parts are still available but may take about a week for them to arrive to the dealer.
    Bottom line, if you want them or suspect you might need them... get them now. Current price is $5.87 + Shipping

Item Link: Knob, Parking Brake Push Rod - Honda (47142-671-010)

Finally figured out a solution of how to replace the chrome release tip

What is helpful is you don't need to remove the console to do this. Mine was already off for an unrelated project.

Before I started this I planned to remove the handbrake plastic trim cover (tan) hoping it would expose some release catch but apparently it isn't designed to separate.

As you can see trying to remove the old button with my channel locks only resulted in shearing it in half. That out of the way I approached this the same as if a bolt had snapped off and needed removal.

So I began with a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a series of holes around the button face.

I avoided drilling too close to the threaded metal shaft and possibly damaging any threads.

Eventually I drilled enough holes to weaken the button's remaining structure and grip.

Now it was a simple matter of backing it off counterclockwise using a pair of needle-nose pliers.

While unscrewing the button be careful not to loose the spring which is under tension and will easily pop off across the car if you're not careful.

This picture doesn't clearly show the shaft as threaded but it is.

Old broken button with spring.

New shiny button with spring.

Reinsert and hand thread back on.

A jar cap gripper given to me by the salesman who sold me my first new Accord an 89SE-i. One of the the most useful gadgets I ever received...

So of course it was perfect to tighten the new button without marring the finish.

Installed... somehow I don't recall the old button protruding this much. In my research someone mentioned the button may have a tapered thread so when it's tightened by hand it may not turn down completely. The problem is how to tighten it more without risking damage the finish?

Perhaps adding a small spray of silicon lubricant into the threaded button hole prior to installing may work. Please post if you figure out a better way. For now its on well enough so I won't tempt fate.

After testing it multiple times it functions perfectly.

I hope you find this helpful...
    Last edited by hiptech; 04-03-2023, 01:49 PM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

It will prove useful to me because I ordered a couple buttons myself. I was dreading having to take the lever apart to replace the button - now I know I don't have to!

You think maybe you clamped down too hard with the pliers when trying to remove it?
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-24-2017, 12:23 AM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Just an FYI - if anyone is interested

During my research trying to find a DYI I discovered that "Science of Speed" here in Chandler, AZ does performance work and as well as sell performance products.

One of those products are their own "Science of Speed Billet E-Brake Buttons"

Did you know even the earliest 1st Gen NSX was saddled with the same lowly OEM Honda E-Brake buttons?

Anyway these are a bit pricey but what on the NSX isn't?
      On the plus side at least they aren't plastic...

All are priced the same at $39.50

They offer 4 versions:
      > polished chrome ceramic
      > titanium gunmetal ceramic
      > satin black ceramic
      > satin silver clear anodized

So if your looking for something more custom than OEM you might want to check them out:
      https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...ke-button.html

Full disclosure:
      I have not been compensated nor do I know anyone who works there but I do have a friend whose NSX was serviced there.
      My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        It will prove useful to me because I ordered a couple buttons myself. I was dreading having to take the lever apart to replace the button - now I know I don't have to!

You think maybe you clamped down too hard with the pliers when trying to remove it?
        Good question, I'm really not sure. I know I didn't care about damaging it but didn't expect it to break either. It felt like it was unthreading when I did it but obviously that didn't happen.

If there is one thing Arizona climate is good at is accelerating the failure rates of rubber and plastics that's why car makers love it here... hot weather testing. My best guess is after 24 years and constant heat it partially fused the plastic threads to the mating metal shaft. Combined with the brittleness of the old plastic it just couldn't deal with the torque.
        Last edited by hiptech; 02-24-2017, 12:52 AM.
        My Collection:

Comment

I always wondered this! Thanks. I swapped my ebrake handle for a OEM black one but the button chrome is wore off. I have a spare I can use but couldn't figure out the button. & looks like I'll destroy it getting it off..... gone to try.

Comment

Working...
          X