Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide on how to put together a G23

[F23 long block

The differences between H23 head And Dohc F22b this will help in your build. choose the right head gasket, if your using a H series head gasket use a H series head it will line up better with no special mods. The same goes for the Dohc f22b.

When using a h23 head gasket with a h23 head this is what the ports look like you can use a f22 head gasket but you will have to do some mods. Some add Honda bond or hi-temp sealant at the bottom left port where its circled you will have to choose the right one some use f23 head gaskets.If using f23head gasket the only problem with that is you got to make sure the rivets are not in the way of the sealing.Make sure if your using a h22 head take the squirter out the back on top of the block so that you will get more oil to the head so that vtec will kick in.

On the f23's the head gasket fits the block but when the H23 head is on the f23 block the rivets are in the way of proper sealing causing it to leak you can remove the rivets and you would be fine.

If you choose to put a f22 head gasket on use the 90-93 the rivets are out side of the sealing of the head.

90-93 head gasket on h23 all ports match if you to choose to use your old head gasket make sure you spray cooper gasket spray if re-using gasket.

You got to change the driver side engine bracket so that you can put it in your 4th gen.

Make sure your if your using the h22 head use all the h22 timing parts, the teeth are different between the h23 that goes the same for the h23 use all timing parts for that head there timing sprocket its smaller than the accord one.

And for the final thing the water tube use the water tube for a 90-93 accord if your using a h23 head or dohc f22b head. If your using a h22 head you can use a water tube you can cut the tube in half and used a hoes and clamp and also you can use a pair of some LS intergra cam gears on the h22 cams and use a h23 belt and crank spocket it will be tight but its been done to make the h22 head work.

Once you done all of that you can use the head bolts for the f series to tq down the head use the tq sequence for the head which is 29ftlb,51ftlb,72ftlb you can tq down a little more for boost applications 31ftlb,52ftlb,74ftlb to make sure head dont lift or get head studs.

Setting the timing once all that done then your good to go.

This thread was modified due to information that was missing

All Info has been corrected
    Last edited by mahtogje; 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM.
    IF IT AIN'T BOOSTED IT'S SLOW!

turbo G23 420hp 385tq mainstream tuning

Oh man its a good thing you took pics of the build in process because with pics this thread is priceless.
    Im still a little lost which head gasket did you use the F22A or the H23A?

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
      Oh man its a good thing you took pics of the build in process because with pics this thread is priceless.
      Im still a little lost which head gasket did you use the F22A or the H23A?

If you look closely on the two heads in the picture if you notice that the design are different for the two heads. The dohc f22b has the same design as the single cam accord heads and the h23 doesn't.So when i did my first ever g series swap i use the h23 head and head gasket but when i tryed to use a h23 head gasket on a dohc f22b it leaked anti freeze in the front of the block. thats when i figured out that it depends on which head gasket to use with which head dohc f22b or h23. I seen alot of people trying different head gaskets and doing to many mods when you dont have to do all of that. just choose the one that go with that head.

On my motor now is a Dohc f22b head so i use the 90-93 head gasket some people choose the f22ax which is the same part number as the f22a1 if im not mistaken. It a reliable engine by the way and on top of that they pretty much come with low miles especially the 01's

Comment

there are a few more important steps if your using a H22 head on a F block....
        also, you cant swap H22 and H23 lower timing gears.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

Originally posted by LoDollar92LX View Post
          and the oil passages f23 has 6 / h22 has 8(2 need to be blocked off) ,
          waterpump gear needs to be pressed on,
          water pipe on the back needs to be clamped /welded on.

theres probally more lol
          FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
          My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

Originally posted by LoDollar92LX View Post
            i never had any oil problems useing the h series head gasket on the f22 block thats why i was showing the difference between the heads when looking at them and what the oil ports look like when you have a h series head gasket on a f block and when you have it on the head how all the oil ports line up with no mods. the timing gear comes off all the f series and h series. so leave the timing spocket on and use a gsr timing belt. like i said on the right up many people do it different ways and this is the way that worked for me. with both vtec and non vtec and i circled the ports so they wont miss what im talking about.

Comment

Your thread is good..but you need to be more swap specific. You keep saying f series and h series..but arnt being specific as to what your referring to..(im not asking because I don't know) as I've done several..but for the new guys its gotta be confusing..

Example..

You said remove the f series timing gear and install h23/h22..this is wrong/right..the procedure is correct but the timing gear collaborates to which head you use..

You did not state this..

Imo go back and clear any possible discreptancies(sp) and separe f23/h23 f23/h22 f23/f22b dohc information so that its clear..

For those wondering

Modlist for f22/3/h22a
              -block off 2 oil ports some have made aluminum block tubes with rubber o-rings grooved into them so that its a non permanent solution(prelittlelude off HT) did this and it worked flawless
              -swap h22a timing gear onto f23 engine
              -swap h22a water pump gear on f23a waterpump
              -headgasket choice is between f23a headgasket which has a 86.5mm bore(f23a block bore is 86mm) and a h22a headgasket. Some use the f23 headgasket to meet the bores in the middle 86mm block and 87mm head..ill leave that open though..

A custom waterpipe does need to be made using f23a(drivers side) and h22a (pass side) with a rad hose as the coupling agent..primative and ugly but it works.

Back to what the OP wrote. You also stated to use fseries headstuds..to me that's wrong..I've never attempted to do this..as I've always used the according studs for the according head..aka..h23a head...i used h23a arps..

Also I don't recommend reusing stock headgaskets..sure it can be done but it isn't adviseable for someone who plans to push the limits of their newly made hybrid..same goes for reusing headstuds..

A lot of people knock this setup and how unreliable it is..and ill stick to what I've been saying lately..

How its built..and how its driven will determine the life of your hybrid..

My first f22/h23 I built for a cb7 member..then later bought the car..did some more things..added beefy 282 delta cams..headwork etc..coupled with my h22a tranny..I swore I could rev it like a h22a..totally wrong..ended up spinning a rod bearing within a year of owning it(although TEckert had it for about another year before that) revving to 7600-7800 took its toll on my f22a block(220k lol..)

so for those interested just becareful..research..read..and finally enjoy your creation..

/rant

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16 View Post
                Your thread is good..but you need to be more swap specific. You keep saying f series and h series..but arnt being specific as to what your referring to..(im not asking because I don't know) as I've done several..but for the new guys its gotta be confusing..

Example..

You said remove the f series timing gear and install h23/h22..this is wrong/right..the procedure is correct but the timing gear collaborates to which head you use..

You did not state this..

Imo go back and clear any possible discreptancies(sp) and separe f23/h23 f23/h22 f23/f22b dohc information so that its clear..

For those wondering

Modlist for f22/3/h22a
                -block off 2 oil ports some have made aluminum block tubes with rubber o-rings grooved into them so that its a non permanent solution(prelittlelude off HT) did this and it worked flawless
                -swap h22a timing gear onto f23 engine
                -swap h22a water pump gear on f23a waterpump
                -headgasket choice is between f23a headgasket which has a 86.5mm bore(f23a block bore is 86mm) and a h22a headgasket. Some use the f23 headgasket to meet the bores in the middle 86mm block and 87mm head..ill leave that open though..

A custom waterpipe does need to be made using f23a(drivers side) and h22a (pass side) with a rad hose as the coupling agent..primative and ugly but it works.

Back to what the OP wrote. You also stated to use fseries headstuds..to me that's wrong..I've never attempted to do this..as I've always used the according studs for the according head..aka..h23a head...i used h23a arps..

Also I don't recommend reusing stock headgaskets..sure it can be done but it isn't adviseable for someone who plans to push the limits of their newly made hybrid..same goes for reusing headstuds..

A lot of people knock this setup and how unreliable it is..and ill stick to what I've been saying lately..

How its built..and how its driven will determine the life of your hybrid..

My first f22/h23 I built for a cb7 member..then later bought the car..did some more things..added beefy 282 delta cams..headwork etc..coupled with my h22a tranny..I swore I could rev it like a h22a..totally wrong..ended up spinning a rod bearing within a year of owning it(although TEckert had it for about another year before that) revving to 7600-7800 took its toll on my f22a block(220k lol..)

so for those interested just becareful..research..read..and finally enjoy your creation..

/rant

this swap is as old as the dohc vtec f20 if you follow the design on how the head and bottom end is put together that will best show you. that head is a h22 head and you dont have to block any oil ports if you use the right head gasket it should work fine. that how i follow my build based on the way honda did it the first time. when i rev my engine i guess i been good cause i tooking it to 8,000 rpm my engine block have only 64,ooo miles on it. yeah i dont know why people was saying i said to reuse you head gasket i said you can reuse the head gasket if you wont to if so spray copper spray on it and you will be fine. I gave them a choice and for the head studs or bolts you can go either way also if you dont have the money to buy head studs.

The reliablity is up to the driver how they abuse a stock block and how often they change oil and ect. So your right about that.

Like i said before some people do there hybrid different ways this was i done it is the best way that worked for me with no problems.

Comment

wow dudes this right here has helped me alot on my g22 vtec im about to start i can pretty much make a parts list off of this, i just want to ask if u can list all the parts needed to complete this swap. i wanna make sure i have everything i need when i start it. hopefully ill b done by da atl meet.

By da way im using my stock f22 block+pistons and crank.

MY MR CB7 THREADhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=127610

MY MR PRELUDE THREAD http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...22#post2149222

trade apexi ws2 catback for some wheels pm me

Comment

wikked,long time no talk to its ironic that i c u on a frank thread lol,and as wikked stated if u dont block off the oil passages u will have problems maybe not at first but i will bet in the long run ur gonna have them,hhmmm not to pull my own chain but wikked correct me if im wrong i do think i was the first one on this board to do the f22a/h22 frank.....good to c u still around cuz!..........not the track record on the sig.....lol
                    F22A1:blew up
                    F22A1/H22:blew up
                    F22A6/H22: " "
                    F22A4/H22: " "
                    H23A1 boosted:blew up
                    H23A1:traded
                    H23A1/H22 built:still in progress (getting my feet wet)

drive it like you stole it
                    FCB7(FRANKENSTEIN CB7 CLUB)

Comment

Originally posted by shadetreecustom View Post
                      wikked,long time no talk to its ironic that i c u on a frank thread lol,and as wikked stated if u dont block off the oil passages u will have problems maybe not at first but i will bet in the long run ur gonna have them,hhmmm not to pull my own chain but wikked correct me if im wrong i do think i was the first one on this board to do the f22a/h22 frank.....good to c u still around cuz!..........not the track record on the sig.....lol
                      yeah thats the way many people do it but. honda them self dont do it like that on a jdm dohc vtec f20a and f20b if you look at the bottom of the head they still have the holes there but when you look at the head gasket the gasket is made to block off those port. that was my hole point cometic make a gasket that works with that swap. you can block it off with bolts or what ever i just like the dealer ship way better. cause you get better oil flow going back into the block.
                      Last edited by mahtogje; 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Holy fuck nuggets..wtf u been hiding shadetree? Damn brother good to see your still kickin it OG status for real..

Post up some of ur hybrid pics hoe..

As for
                        Mahtogie..your wrong again

1Your information is always wrong

There is no such thing as a jdm f22a dohc vtec or f22b dohc vtec..

Jdm vtec dohc engines(in order by cc)
                        F20b (bluetop)
                        H22a
                        H22a type s
                        H22a euro r
                        H23a vtec(bluetop) accord wagon

There IS NO F22A DOHC VTEC..

F series dohc's are (in order by cc)

F18a(thing its sohc..but either way)
                        F20a(sohc)
                        F20a(dohc)
                        F22b(dohc)

Getting old man...

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

what kinda hp/tq numbers does this build bring?
                            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                              what kinda hp/tq numbers does this build bring?
                              nothing worth mentioning whatsoever unless built for a certain purpose (boost, spray, etc)

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                              My Ride thread
                              Flickr
                              Originally posted by d112crzy
                              And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                              All I gotta really say is:
                              People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Working...
                              X