Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Responsive steering to left but much less than to right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsive steering to left but much less than to right?

I have a 92 accord ex coupe 5 speed and i just installed struts and uca's on both sides along with steering rack, inner and outer tie rods. I also just got it aligned along with new tires. My steering is much more responsive now turning both ways but turning to the right it is much less. What would cause this. I might of not installed the uca arm on front passengers(maybe torqued too low) side correctly so i figured it might be this. I would think steering to the right though the front drivers side uca would have more of an effect on responsiveness. Anyone know?

Is it steering response (tires time reaction to steering input), steering sensitivity (cornering force of tire given steering angle), steering effort (torque on the steering wheel at a given angle), or steering damping (torque on the steering wheel given the rate of change of the steering wheel)?
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
      Is it steering response (tires time reaction to steering input), steering sensitivity (cornering force of tire given steering angle), steering effort (torque on the steering wheel at a given angle), or steering damping (torque on the steering wheel given the rate of change of the steering wheel)?
      Sorry did not realize there was so many steering term assessment words. Steering sensitivity i would say. The resistance you feel when you turn the wheel. Turning left feels more right as i can more feel the tires turning. I just assumed that was called responsiveness. So i hope this better explains things.

Comment

Alignment. Assuming all the parts are good. Does the car roll perfectly straight on a flat road with the wheel dead center? Idk when I think different steering left and right I think alignment.
        I know you replaced the rack, that included new inner and outer tie rods right? New uca's....did you do the lower ball joints? They would not affect steering really but one good one and one bad one may make one side feel tighter.
        Does the steering have this affect when at a standstill?
        Maybe you have air in that rack still. With the car running turn the wheel all the way left,pause all the way right,pause a few times while making sure your reservoir stays full. That's Honda fluid in there right?
        Last edited by cb7 calling; 04-21-2017, 06:40 AM.
        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
          Alignment. Assuming all the parts are good. Does the car roll perfectly straight on a flat road with the wheel dead center? Idk when I think different steering left and right I think alignment.
          I know you replaced the rack, that included new inner and outer tie rods right? New uca's....did you do the lower ball joints? They would not affect steering really but one good one and one bad one may make one side feel tighter.
          Does the steering have this affect when at a standstill?
          Maybe you have air in that rack still. With the car running turn the wheel all the way left,pause all the way right,pause a few times while making sure your reservoir stays full. That's Honda fluid in there right?
          I just got a 4 wheel alignment. I did not replace the lower ball joints even though they do need to be replaced at some point in time(i can here them creaking). yes it is honda mtf fluid. I will try to see if there is air in rack and get it out but i don't think that is the problem.

Comment

If you hear the lbj's creaking new ones will feel tighter. Does steering input feel different when the car is stopped?
            Last edited by cb7 calling; 04-22-2017, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
              If you hear the lbj's creaking new ones will feel tighter. Does steering input feel different when the car is stopped?
              Only when driving do i feel that. It's the front lower ball joints i believe. Am changing those this week. Probably going to pay my mechanic 150 to do it.

Comment

Do you have the values after the alignment? they usually give you a graph or papers with the numbers before and after; i am almost certain that there is a caster difference from one side to another and most shops align for camber and toe but will not touch caster
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                  Do you have the values after the alignment? they usually give you a graph or papers with the numbers before and after; i am almost certain that there is a caster difference from one side to another and most shops align for camber and toe but will not touch caster
                  yes they gave me alignment values. I will have to look at it. I am changing the front lower ball joints soon. Will this effect my alignment. The shop told me they would have to charge me again for alignment(grrrrr).

Comment

You should be able to change the lbj's without affecting alignment. Just don't spin your tie rods.

Comment

Personally, I always get an alignment whenever I do anything at all suspension related. Even small changes can result in uneven tire wear. An alignment is cheaper than new tires!
                      I got a lifetime alignment package at Firestone for about $200. As long as I owned the car, I could take it in for an alignment free of charge after paying that one-time fee. I'm not sure if they (or anyone else) still offers something like that, but it's definitely a good deal. With today's alignment prices, it pays for itself after two visits!

Anyway, inspect all of your components first. Look at your ball joints (replace any joints with torn boots... assume dirt got in the grease and damaged the joint, because that is highly likely.) Check your tie rods for play. Inspect your tires, and ensure they are properly inflated and have sufficient tread.
                      Pop the hood and have someone turn your wheel back and forth while the car is running. Listen for any odd sounds.

Comment

Yes, Firestone still offers that deal. I just got the lifetime deal at the location near me (Maryland). The tech who did my alignment was a Honda guy as well so we ended up talking for a while & he gave me the lifetime alignment deal for $189.00. Gotta love the other members of the Honda community!
                        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Good deal!
                          The only downside to Firestone is that you may or may not have a moron doing the alignment. Those places sometimes have truly knowledgeable, experienced techs... but just as often they have idiots that have difficult spelling their own names. Getting to know a specific tech and going to that person exclusively is the best way to go about it.

Comment

Firestone where i live are just a bunch of crooks. I do have a 1 year alignment thing with them but still took it to another shop when i got my last alignment.

Comment

I still wonder if you feel a difference in left to right when the car is at a standstill. How about off without power steering assist.?

Comment

Working...
                              X