• Show
Clear All

Turn off the bass for the speakers.

And get a Sub.

Done.
    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
      It's actually 17 watts rms, 52 peak. Not many head units are above 20 watts rms / channel, and the ones that are, are like 22 watts rms.
      just an update panasonic had/has a HU out that did sumthing like 30 rms i dunno how reliable it is or was though.
      Members Ride sold...
      I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

The problem with using your deck, is to get enough output, you have to turn the bass and treble all the way up, and it ends up sounding distorted. And even doing that, you're still only getting the rms wattage from the deck. Get a good 50 x 4 amplifier, hook your speakers up, I guarantee you'll know a difference.

I've got a Kicker Impulse 654ix *its an old school amp* hooked up to my Phoenix Gold 6.5's and it sounds great. The amp is rated at 65 watts x 4, but I know that amp puts out more power than what its rated. So, try an amp of atleast 50 watts per channel and see what that gets ya

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          Turn off the bass for the speakers.

And get a Sub.

Done.
          bass isn't the problem.

Comment

I have 6.5 db501's all around in the sonata the highs are very clear and crisp

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou View Post
              I have 6.5 db501's all around in the sonata the highs are very clear and crisp
              wait, don't you mean db650's? 501's are the five inch, and the 690's are the 6x9's

...but I understand what you are saying. I know that these speakers should sound better than what they do, I'm pretty sure I just need to do some modifications to the pods... insulation, or something.

what I'm thinking now is... have you ever placed headphones in your hand and notice how they sound different... if turned up loud enough?

well I'm thinking that by putting holes in the front of the pod, I've created this effect. and in order to cancel the resonance, i could put like cotton balls or something in the pod to keep sound from bounding off the plastic.

kinda like putting a pillow in a bass drum, or tape on your snare...

Comment

Whoops I meant db651 lol

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                  wow, I must really be confusing, haha...

i cut holes in the front of the pod and on the bottom...

the pods were already vented, but designed for cloth subs, not polymer/mica composite material. by making holes in the pods, i gave the speakers more ventilation, allowing the subs to move as much as possible, in hopes of making the speaker sound like it should.

but now I'm thinking i should of just made the original ventilation hole bigger.
                  crud, well... I'm hoping the wires are backwards now.
                  am i reading this right ... did you cut holes in the pod it self so the speakers can breath ???

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post
                    am i reading this right ... did you cut holes in the pod it self so the speakers can breath ???
                    yeah

Comment

im guessing the pods are causing a peak in certain mid frequencies. Its not that they arent playing the highs, but it might be overpowered by the mid range.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

just get rid of the pod......
                        Members Ride sold...
                        I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          im guessing the pods are causing a peak in certain mid frequencies. Its not that they arent playing the highs, but it might be overpowered by the mid range.
                          exactally!

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                            okay, so if I understand correctly... the closer you get to max power on the HU, the more distorted the audio signal becomes?
                            and by getting a powerful enough amp, you increase the power so that when it's turned up, it meets the power rating of the speakers but doesn't exceed the power of the amp, therefore decreasing distortion.

something like that, right
                            Basically, I have essentially same speakers with a 250RMS per channel amp behind them and they sound amazing. Those polks are great. I have the same setup 5" in the EX pod. They sound great, my bet is they are underpowered. Mine would barely run off the deck. I highly recommend an amp. It's well worth it.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

ok, just venting the pods isnt going to work here because the sound is actually bouncing off the rear of the pod and amplifying the midrange. If your deck has an eq, try to tweak it so it sounds less muffled.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                                ok, just venting the pods isnt going to work here because the sound is actually bouncing off the rear of the pod and amplifying the midrange. If your deck has an eq, try to tweak it so it sounds less muffled.
                                right, i understand now that the sound is bouncing off the back... now what if I covered up the holes i made in the front and somehow enlarge the orginal vent?

i think I'm going to try that next... it will be awhile before i get around to it... maybe tomorrow, but I'll let you all know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X