No announcement yet.

Sonikaccord : 2001 Honda Prelude Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has a T-bird that really needs work done. I would love to get it back running, plus a manual swap for her. First we have to get it back from her brother who didn't have enough time to work on it and it's been sitting for a while.

We don't have a house yet, but she wants to re-do her parent's place which is a perfect opportunity...we'll see.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I couldn't leave well enough alone...stay tuned for updates.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Staying tuned!

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Oh really?!? I want to see this.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Teaser

And here is my spun bearing:
            Last edited by sonikaccord; 09-06-2017, 08:14 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It's been a while since I updated this thread. The car is not running yet. Now that's out the way feel free to read further or not, or go troll the YouTube comment section, whatever floats your boat.

Let's start from the beginning, a brief summary:
              I purchased this car in November of 2015 from a kid(speaking mechanically, not age) who drove her hard, and partially riced her out. The motor was swapped to an H22a4 because the H22A had "bent a valve." I recently found out that it was MUCH more than a bent valve. I'll have to show you guys and gals pics of the carnage. After he swapped the motor, he couldn't get the car started. Turned out to be the wrong balancer shaft pulley was installed, causing the CKP sensor to not see anything, hence no fuel. It did run with starting fluid. So in the previous owner's quest to get this thing fixed and running, several bits were replaced with new parts before he put her up out of frustration.

I replaced the starter, fuel filter and balancer shaft pulley with the USDM OBD2 version and she fired right up. Cool, time for a shakedown run. Everything sounds good...I attempt VTEC...she said nope...no VTEC for you. Fast forward a bit, I fixed some emissions related things and replaced a gutted cat so I can get tags. She's now registered.

I started driving back and forth to work to see if she can daily. Oh...yes she daily's very good! One morning, as I prepare to go to work, I here a bang and a grinding noise. I think everyone here's first thought, if it happened to them, would be "oh sh**." I limped her back home, found out the UCA ball joint had popped out. I'm thinking WTF?? Who puts regular nuts and no cotter pins on such critical components?? I then scold myself...Sonik...WTF were you thinking not doing a full inspection before driving this thing??

Most of the small stuff is now repaired, or rigged at this point. My commute at the time was about an hour one way. She does fine all the way until I hit the off-ramp and meet my first traffic light. Oil light flickers, car shuts off. Oh, must be a bad oil pressure sensor and a dirty IACV or something. Negative. Surprisingly, I drove her like this for about two weeks trying to figure out what was going on. Testament to Honda's robustness as this was definitely considered abuse, although I wasn't driving particularly hard during this period.

The oil light flickering symptom was ignored, mainly because my CB taught me that a leaky oil pressure sensor did the same thing, and I proceded to fix my VTEC issue. Yes, VTEC is more important than oil pressure and bearings . Checked wiring, VTEC wires have been touched. I cringed a bit at that...he probably was manually controlling VTEC *shudder*. Fixed that, still no VTEC. I took off the VTAK solenoid and lo and behold!!! GUNK...EVERYWHERE. Ah ha! I found my VTEC problem. (In hindsight, I should have paid a bit more attention here as this was an important clue, read: bye bye bearings) Cleaned out the mesh screen on the gasket, reinstalled, went to go mmmmmmmmmBAHHHHHHHHHH around town. Success! Now I can turn to the oil pressure/stalling issue.

At this point I have only been in VTEC a few times, and at low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear. I changed my oil, and noticed Tinkerbell had been playing in my crankcase. I proceeded to fill er up with thicker oil, I think it was 10w-40? in an attempt to diagnose my oil pressure issue (I was still thinking it was a minor issue, because ya know...positivity). My engine was too far gone at this point. I was returning home from work and I hear the glorious, humbling sound of 1000 mechanic angels laughing at me. Knock, knock. <Insert multiple four letter words> Rod Bearing Number 3 went to lunch. That leads me to the next post...
              Last edited by sonikaccord; 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

God I hope my car doesn't end up like this. The more I go through it the more I see no factory wiring, bolts and other things that scare me. We all keep telling ourselves it'll be worth it in the end but it never feels like we get everything sorted sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                  God I hope my car doesn't end up like this. The more I go through it the more I see no factory wiring, bolts and other things that scare me. We all keep telling ourselves it'll be worth it in the end but it never feels like we get everything sorted sometimes.
                  The only way to get it back "right" is to gut everything. That, my friend, is a complete PITA. It does make for good build log material though.

I'll upload pics once I find another photo hosting service.

The Build/Rebuild Goal:

Of course every build needs to have an end-goal in mind, otherwise, it will never be finished...rather it will never approach finished. We all know a finished build is impossible.
                  My goal is an optimized, simple, reliable, car. It should be well rounded in all categories, performance, show, and daily-ability, with minimal sacrifices in each category. This will also be my rolling laboratory to try out my ideas that I never got to do with the CB.

Optimization means efficiency. Reducing losses, getting rid of unnecessary items, maximizing potential, tailoring the car to suit me. This won't be a daily driver so I can sacrifice creature comforts and overall comfort for a more performance based build.

Simplicity, in this case will be subjective. I would imagine this will be a highly complex build when viewed as an entire vehicle, but simple when every system is looked at individually.

Reliability will come through trial and error...something breaks, find out why it broke, make it stronger, repeat.

Engine

Current status:
                  H23A with bolt-ons being prepped for installation.
                  All new seals and gaskets
                  New Oil pump
                  Balance shafts deleted
                  Euro-R Manifold with 70mm TB
                  DC Header
                  Manual tensioner
                  Walk Blocker
                  Fidanza Flywheel
                  ARP Flywheel Bolts
                  Exedy stage 2, 4 puck clutch
                  ARP Clutch Bolts
                  S2000 oil filter
                  M2U4 Transmission

Big Goals:
                  Extract the most power possible from the stock H23A block using only bolt-ons (custom or otherwise). No internal work will be done during the first phase of the build.
                  Mathematically find the sweet spot or spots for intake and exhaust manifold specs and build by the numbers.

Small Goals:
                  Get the engine put together.
                  Get the car up and running.
                  Clean up the engine bay to allow for maximum space for other projects.
                  Get new castle nuts and cotter pins so I don't crash.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

that last goal is key, you could say it's the lynchpin to the whole build

Comment

Just finished the balance shaft delete...omg that is nerve wrecking!!! I felt like any bit of dirt that got on the crank/bearing would cause a nuclear explosion when I got ready to fire it up.
                      The mains are now torqued down and the crank turns like butter. Yay!
                      Now time to button everything up, and hope that I cleaned all the metal out of the block. Q-Tips work really well for that! The shards just stick to the cotton. I'll definitely be watching my oil pressure during the first start.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Prepping of the Euro-R manifold for some proper air:

Success. I intentionally left some meat by the IACV port for comfort.

Fully assembled with thermal intake gasket:
                        Last edited by sonikaccord; 09-06-2017, 08:41 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The replacement motor, in all of its glory:

During disassembly, I had to stay hydrated:

Intake manifold off and stuffed:

Exhaust manifold off and stuffed:

Fresh cam seals

Clutch, stage 2, 4 puck exedy:

For the clutch and flywheel assembly:

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Fast forward...I forgot to take pics...You all know how engine builds go anyway

Several more things to do...nowhere near done.
                            Last edited by sonikaccord; 09-06-2017, 08:42 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Bonus, engine carnage!!!
                              (These actually had legit type-s pistons in them too...3/4 are in decent condition)
                              This is what one of the spare engines looked like:

Beautiful!

Out to lunch:

Engine gravy:

Bang!!! Rattle, rattle, rattle....

Well there's one part of the conn rod:

Describe this using a 4 letter word:

Found the other side!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

out to lunch and pick up something on the way to snack on...

Comment

Working...
                                X