Replacing cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing cylinder head

I think i am going to replace the cylinder head myself. Shops want too much($500). I also need to clean my intake manifold free of carbon deposits and i won't be able to get under car to take bracket off of IM. I can't jack my car up in my parking spot. I know i have asked something similar to this but wanted to make sure this is something i am capable of doing in an apartment parking space before i start it. I will be getting a reman head, new stud bolts and gaskets. Honestly this doesn't seem too difficult but who knows. Can this be done in 2 days working slow as i do with the limitations i have to endure.

You'll want to get under the car to get this job done. Even if it's only long enough to unbolt these 2 things. As you need to unbolt the bracket that is under the intake manifold. You can get the top bolt from above, but I don't think there is way to get the bottom bolt from above. Also you need to unbolt the exhaust manifold from the lower portion and probably unbolt the down pipe from the back of the block. Otherwise everything else can be done from above. You should be fine working on this over a 2 day period as long as you start first thing in the morning and work all day on it. Being this is the first one that you have done it's going to take you a good while longer, than having some practice at it.

If you do this try and keep all of your nuts/bolts organized so you can put it back together without a problem.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
      You'll want to get under the car to get this job done. Even if it's only long enough to unbolt these 2 things. As you need to unbolt the bracket that is under the intake manifold. You can get the top bolt from above, but I don't think there is way to get the bottom bolt from above. Also you need to unbolt the exhaust manifold from the lower portion and probably unbolt the down pipe from the back of the block. Otherwise everything else can be done from above. You should be fine working on this over a 2 day period as long as you start first thing in the morning and work all day on it. Being this is the first one that you have done it's going to take you a good while longer, than having some practice at it.

If you do this try and keep all of your nuts/bolts organized so you can put it back together without a problem.
      Grrrr, so i can't do it in my parking space. Thanks for the explanation btw.

Comment

I am thinking another option would be to do a complete valve job on head while head is on car. What you think about that. I should do a leak down test first i guess to confirm what and where it is going on at.

Comment

How do you plan to get the valves out of the head if you don’t remove the head?
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Correct without removing the head the valves will just fall into the cylinders. The only valve related thing you can do with the head on the car is change the springs/seat/valve stem seals. Even then there is a small risk you could drop a valve into the cylinder if not done correctly.
            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
            X