Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Extended tophats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended tophats

OK I seen some cats with these and I kinda understand the concept but not fully. What exactly is the science behind extending the tophat? Please explain...

More piston travel for the shock

Comment

Hmmm, thats what I figured but I thought maybe it was more to it than that. Right on.

Comment

There probably is... that's all I remember from having it explained to me.

Comment

it's like wearing a tophat instead of a baseball cap. it gives more room for your hair to grow.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

correct me if I am wrong...far as I can tell, it is for people who do not have a full suspension. They have lowered springs coupled with shocks not meant for that setup. Always seems like mismatched/improperly set up pieces.

From what I have only observed...it seems to be needed because the shocks being used with some set of springs are not designed for each other so the top hats must be extended so that the shocks do not get blown prematurely and so they have full travel.

i honestly do not understand why people do this. To me, it is like cutting a bolt that is too long instead of getting the right sized one.

But that is based on just observation and asking casual questions...I am sure there are some instances on some cars I suppose where you do not have suspension parts available so you would have to improvise...such is not the case with our cb's...again...correct me if I am off base.
            ____

Comment

they use it on koni yelloe and gc setups all the time.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                Yeah I've noticed that GC sells extended tophats, mostly for Civics and whatnot tho.

Comment

Generally, assuming a soft set up, doesn't your shock absorber run out of travel before your spring does? So if you have the wheel well clearance for a lot of tire travel and you want to run a comfortable (reads: lots of travel) spring and shock set up, the bump-stop on the shock absorber is going to ruin your fun. Raise the top hat a bit to retain the bump stop and gain a little bit more travel and comfort.

I suppose with slammed cars, they would have the issue of having very little shock absorber travel. I would think extended top hats would definitely help for driveability in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    why?
                    ____

Comment

here's a diy style a guy around here did on a 3rd gen.

later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        why?
                        why else?
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                          why?
                          less strain on the shock?

think about it. think like......your spine being compressed all day by an african water barell carrier thing. then taking the weight off and letting your back straighten out.

thats how i see it. your shock will be happier and last longer if it looks like
                          this. |=========+
                          not. |====+ this.

Comment

I am not trying to be a jackass I swear...

With ground controls and koni yellows I am guessing the ground controls are not designed to ride lower that is my reason for asking why because neuspeed shocks with koni yellows do not require extended top hats, do gc's have longer pistons or something?

If the shocks are designed for those springs or ones similar why would you NEED them? If the shocks you buy are designed to operate with the springs you buy then you should not need extended top hats.

So again, and I am not trying to be an ass, why would you need top hats when your suspension is not mismatched or slammed?
                            ____

Comment

because in order to achieve the desired ride height and most race car setups are super low because they dont have to worry about bumps and road conditions they have to spin the collars way down.

this setup is about 1300 while a true race coilovers are over 2g's. konis are rebuilt by a lot more places as well. so if you find someone throwing away koni yellows for free, take them because they can be rebuilt be end up being cheaper than buying new. (except now koni yellows are like 125 at tirerack)

Neuspeed springs are a lot longer, eibach or QA1 springs can be little shorty's like 7" so you can run super low but you run out of piston travel.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X