H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post

It has the new Floater design too, the older brass ones were a bitch to find lately as most ford places dont even carry them anymore.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      It has the new Floater design too, the older brass ones were a bitch to find lately as most ford places dont even carry them anymore.
      Yeah I went through that once with this truck. I tried sweating the hole closed but the thin brass heats up too fast. I found a new one for an older mustang I think it was. It fit but was ever so slightly tighter than the factory one. I had a functional fuel gauge for like a day. I suspect the brass float I put in cracked then sank. We will see soon though. lol

Comment

I'm waiting on the machine screws to arrive then I'm going to get this thing in the tank. I ran the wire and have the heat shrink barrel connector ready to be crimped which should simplify the install.

I still need to cut the rod down to 3.5" and it may have to be attached with the unit already in the tank.

The only thing I possibly foresee and an issue is interference with the fuel pump assembly. But I have pictures from the last time I had the assembly put and it's a pretty short unit. If there is any interference it won't be by much so I should be able to modify the fuel pump assembly to make it work. But I think were good.

I absolutely love my new ratcheting barrel crimpers and these super slick barrel butter connectors with heat shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
          Does sound pretty good indeed, i recall my dad saying 460s were notorious for cracking headers(unless my mind is not carbureting right). I have a burning pasion for alot of things(fishing, woodworking, lawn care etc.) but there is something about cars, not really have allegiance to any manufacturer either; i try and learn everything i can about anything and even tend to obsess with it too. Funny fact, at one point me, my dad and my brother all had red trucks; mine was a Ford F150, my dad's is a Red Ram 1500 and my brother had a Red Chevy Silverado 1500. I gave mine to my younger brother, my dad will never get rid of his and my other brother sold his to his buddy for $600 whom in turn took it to a dealership as a trade in for a new truck.
          Dadgumit! I missed this post. By bad man.

Thanks, it's not to my liking but I do enjoy the sound of it. I haven't heard of them cracking manifolds or headers but something peculiar I've noticed is they tend to burp flames into them constantly especially at idle. Head design maybe? I noticed this from watching many Tube videos and seeing mine do it with the exhaust off when I was in the midst of replacing a gasket. They are notorious for breaking the manifold studs off when you go to tighten them though. That I do know. I love all different models from all different makes myself. I can't say I've ever owned a red truck. Almost did. An 85 K10 with a 305 and a 4 speed. I should have bought it but didn't.

Comment

That 85 would of had worse gas mileage than your 460 with half the power, my brother's truck had a 305 and although it was tbi it was anemic to say the least; reliable but underpowered.

Comment

Crankshaft, yeah I borrowed it to haul wood. Had dual tanks like my truck. Sucked gas and was gutless. I have always wanted to take a 400 and destroke it to a 377. That was my plans if I had got it.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                Crankshaft, yeah I borrowed it to haul wood. Had dual tanks like my truck. Sucked gas and was gutless. I have always wanted to take a 400 and destroke it to a 377. That was my plans if I had got it.
                You my friend are the 2nd person I have ever heard talk about 377 other than myself, de-stroking the 400 instead of stroking the 350 seems illogical to some people but depends on what the intended purpose is. Seems the idea is once again returning though since they are now de-stroking 6.0 and 6.2 using a 4.8 crankshaft and letting that thing sing. Perfect combo for high revving Turbo setup or crossing.

Comment

I was looking at a 377 so I wouldn't have to be so concerned with RPM's. It was a 4 speed truck.

Comment

I got an umbilical hernia the 13th of January at work. I've been on workmans comp since. I had surgery the 28th of January. I sneezed too hard the 7th of February I think it was this past week and busted some fluid thing. I can't remember what it's called. But anyhow, they took the corner of the incision and made a hole down into the area that the fluid builds up and poked long gauze strip into it. I have to change that out daily and drain the fluid that builds up. This could go on for a while. Maybe a month maybe three I guess.

And I've been informed as of this past week that my property (place I work at) has been purchased my another company and they are planning a 15-20 million dollar renovation very soon. Within the next few months. I'll be laid off for no less than 5 months. Needless to say, I'll collect unemployment during this time and I need a project. At the moment I'm looking for another 460 to build for this truck.

Comment

I changed the oil today. It needed it. The old oil still held it's lubrication properties but was pretty black.

Comment

I let the oil drain over night. I got a little over 5 quarts out of it. Typically I only get 5 quarts. So what I'm saying is I'm a little low, just showing up on the first quarter inch of the dipstick. So I had to purchase another gallon of oil.

Comment

Got the second jug of Rotella T6 5w40.

Comment

It's probably in this thread somewhere that someone for some reason at some time installed an inline fuel pump near the tank splicing it into the 3/8" nylon supply line. It's unplugged as it was when I bought the truck but it's always leaked. And now it's really leaking. I bought the fuel tank and everything so the truck wouldn't leak fuel.

So to address this issue I've got a few items on the way. It's supposed to warm back up this week so it'll be a prime time to get everything in.

Dorman 800-055 fuel line connector. Connects to the metal nipple on the fuel pump assembly and has 18" of 3/8" nylon line and a splicer coming off it.

Dorman 800-075 3/8" nylon fuel line. 10 feet of it.

Dorman 800-011 carbon steel barbed union for 3/8" nylon fuel line.

This should get the leak situation completely taken care of. This area of the truck, the fuel system, has been a pain since I bought the truck. It's always ran and supplied fuel to the engine. Just not efficiently at all.

Comment

Dorman 800-055 arrived. I will be tackling the fuel tank and system on Friday.

Comment

I used to have an old vacuum gauge but I haven't seen it in a long time. A year probably. I may have misplaced it while moving.

Anyhow, I purchased this. I want to check the vacuum on this just to know where it's at.

I got a nut and bolt kit too. For installing the fuel level assembly into the tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X