Healthy breakfast shake/smoothie ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healthy breakfast shake/smoothie ideas?

I just got a blender. I'm excited. I know... being excited about a blender is lame, but screw it. I am.

I'm getting away from my usual Wawa breakfast (a turkey sausage, egg white, and American cheese bagel, paired with a Monster.)
    I'm trying to eat healthier, and my first step is the first meal of the day.

So, I'm looking for ideas so I don't get thoroughly bored... and therefore abandon my healthy efforts!

Right now, my recipe is:

8oz Soy Dream soymilk
    6oz Chobani yogurt (plenty of flavors to choose from, which adds a nice variety.)
    1 kale leaf, stems discarded (SUPER healthy... makes the shake taste a little odd, but not gross... I might up it to two leaves if they'll fit.)
    1/2 cup Quaker oats

There's very little fat in the recipe. The yogurt is fat free, and the oats and soymilk have a moderate amount that is healthy (fat from vegetable and grain sources is healthier than animal fat.) The kale and oats provide a good amount of fiber. Everything but the kale has protein, which totals to about 26g of protein from this shake... which is what you'd get from an overpriced protein shake!

I like this recipe, and I can't think of anything to top it. High vitamin, high protein, low fat is the goal. I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys have!

Do not worry, I was really excited when I got a Magic bullet for Christmas a few years back.

My favorite is
    Non-fat milk
    Ice
    Strawberries
    Strawberry Yogurt
    A banana

Second favorite is
    Non-fat milk
    Ice
    Orange (Or High Pulp Orange Juice)
    Yogurt (Or sometimes i do one small scoop of no sugar added ice cream)
    Banana.

Those are my two favorites, as you can tell, they are more fruity ones.

I usually have them for deserts though.
    "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Do you get curdling issues with the milk and the orange?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Do you get curdling issues with the milk and the orange?
        None at all. I would tell you my actual measurements of what I put in it, but my bullet has the glasses you attach the blade to the top of, so I just know how far to fill up the glass each time.

I do think with my fruit smoothies, I have to add a banana or it tastes horrible.
        "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

It seems you always try to get healthy!

I love making shakes when I get home from work, but they are in no means healthy! And I'm usually to lazy to make them as well

I stuff:
          2 spoonfuls of icecreme(first one I see in the freezer)
          half of the cup with whole milk
          a bunch of chocolate and caramel syrup
          If available I like to break apart some candy bars and throw them in after I blend everything together!

Maybe this is why I am 215lbs @ 5'10" and why my doctor always says I'm fat

Comment

if you want a lil added healthyness to it, go to a supplement store and buy a container of "phyto berries" and put a scoop in with whatever your blending

when and IF i do make shakes in teh morning, its usually just a dozen ice cubes, some strawberries + banana's and blend the shit outta it.
            ..[CB7][STAR]..
            MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

I only do nightly shakes, but for breakfast I would do

Kale, possibly some more dark green vegetables.
              3 strawberries
              10ish blueberries
              1 cup cottage cheese
              1/2 cup oats
              milk or water if you like the taste.

I would also throw in 1 or 2 raw eggs, but thats just me, I know most think that as autrocious.
              Wait, you can buy egg whites.
              Last edited by JohnD1079; 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

I can't seem to find anything at all on phyto berries...

Comment

Deev, did you get the lid for the blender yet?

Comment

One suggestion: drop the soy milk, soy is not at all healthy for humans. Among other things it is excessively high in the hormone estrogen and is a very poor protein. Use almond or coconut milk, alternating to mix it up some.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I can't seem to find anything at all on phyto berries...
                      https://www.svncanada.com/product/12...yto-berry-900g

one scoop gives you this

you should be able to purchase this supplement from any store that sells supplements, i pay roughly 50$ for a 450g tub wich will last me a month easily.
                      ..[CB7][STAR]..
                      MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Wow. I'll have to see if anyone carries it around here. GNC is the big chain store, and they didn't have anything on the website. Not even anything else from that brand.
                        Looks like it'd be a good thing to take. Every listing I can find on Google is in Canada! I'm not sure if that's something I'll be able to buy in the US...

Comment

Wow. I'll have to see if anyone carries it around here. GNC is the big chain store, and they didn't have anything on the website. Not even anything else from that brand.
                          Looks like it'd be a good thing to take. Every listing I can find on Google is in Canada! I'm not sure if that's something I'll be able to buy in the US...
                          http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11817610
                          ..[CB7][STAR]..
                          MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Wow. GNC's search function sucks worse than the one on this site! I searched for the brand, and every possible spelling of "phyto berries" I could think of!
                            Thanks man. Now I know where I can get it for sure! There's a GNC about 2 miles from me.
                            Of course it WOULD be way more expensive... I thought Canadian prices were supposed to be higher than US prices!

Comment

while your at it, look at some vegegreens

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...13077&kwCatId=

i take these around noonish when im at work, just 3 pills a day you take

it says scoop, but theres powder and pills...i prefer pills cause it tastes like ass to me in water lol

ps - the prices are way higher then what i pay cause thats a tub of it twice the size as the one i get so the smaller tub will be much cheaper
                              Last edited by stewie; 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM.
                              ..[CB7][STAR]..
                              MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Working...
                              X